Suites in Explorer

eliana

We have just returned from four weeks cruising on the Explorer, our second cruise on this ship but about our 12th on Regent. Everything was excellent except the furniture in our suite.

The bed was ridiculously high and short. The settee was very uncomfortable as was the only chair which was really for sitting at a desk.. Our only solution was to move inside one of the chairs/loungers on the balcony. Other passengers felt the same way as us. Regent need to choose more suitable and comfortable furniture for suites on their new ships, as well as changing those on The Explorer as soon as viable.

I'm guessing a Superior Suite is an F1/F2 - we've sailed twice in an F2 and while I will admit that the settee/loveseat and the desk chair aren't that comfortable, we never had any issue with the bed whatsoever.  It did seem shorter than our US king mattress at home but I never felt like it was too short (I'm 6' even).  I didn't notice the bed being that high, either - but most ships are a tad higher to allow for adequate luggage storage space, I guess.

I'll take a more critical look next January but my guess is I'll like it just fine again...

28 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm guessing a Superior Suite is an F1/F2 - we've sailed twice in an F2 and while I will admit that the settee/loveseat and the desk chair aren't that comfortable, we never had any issue with the bed whatsoever.  It did seem shorter than our US king mattress at home but I never felt like it was too short (I'm 6' even).  I didn't notice the bed being that high, either - but most ships are a tad higher to allow for adequate luggage storage space, I guess.

The real problem was not the bed but the very inadequate and uncomfortable settee and the innappropriate chair. We never experienced the same problems on the other Regent ships.

It seems that the beds (at least in the U.S.) get higher and higher.  I rather like the high beds.  The length of the bed has not been an issue either.

I do "get" that some furniture on Explorer is not comfortable (but that goes for other ships as well - especially the very low chairs in some of the lounges that makes it very difficult to get out of - especially if you have knee or hip issues).  

This is the first time I've heard about furniture in F1/F2 suites being uncomfortable.  Typically passengers just comment on the lack of a second chair near the sofa.  Not sure if Regent is going to replace or reupholster (which is done much of the time) the furniture on Explorer when it goes into dry dock later this year. 

37 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I'll take a more critical look next January but my guess is I'll like it just fine again...

i actually didn't find the settee or chair that uncomfortable or the bed too short but then i am vertically challenged.

I would agree with the thread starter. We were in a Concierge suite on first Explorer cruise. I felt the sofa/couch uncomfortable and cramped. We always eat breakfast in the suite on every cruise and it’s the first time we have felt it was more of a cramped experience.

Re the bed, my husband 6ft 2 plus felt it was too short, yes the bed is higher too but likely just for me being 5ft I noticed it more.

Apart from that nice suite otherwise.    Jean.

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It seems that the beds (at least in the U.S.) get higher and higher.  I rather like the high beds.  The length of the bed has not been an issue either.

I do "get" that some furniture on Explorer is not comfortable (but that goes for other ships as well - especially the very low chairs in some of the lounges that makes it very difficult to get out of - especially if you have knee or hip issues).  

This is the first time I've heard about furniture in F1/F2 suites being uncomfortable.  Typically passengers just comment on the lack of a second chair near the sofa.  Not sure if Regent is going to replace or reupholster (which is done much of the time) the furniture on Explorer when it goes into dry dock later this year. 

OT, but when is it going into dry dock?  Seems kind of early for a ship built in 2016.  Is there anywhere I can read about what they will be doing?

19 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

OT, but when is it going into dry dock?  Seems kind of early for a ship built in 2016.  Is there anywhere I can read about what they will be doing?

While I knew this a couple of weeks ago, I do not recall the date and have not seen what will be done.  I remember thinking that the refurbishment is after our February cruise and before our November Explorer cruise.  If I had to guess...... it would be September, 2019.

9 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Regent and Oceania put their ships into dry dock every 3 years.  So - launched in 2016 a dry dock this summer makes sense.

The only (minor) issue we have with the furniture in F suites on Explorer is that they could do with an additional chair or stool.

There is a gap in Explorer's schedule from Oct 29 to Nov 12 so assume that is when refurb will be undertaken - probably just new carpets and some soft furnishings.

We were on the same cruise as you Eliana and had no problems at all with the suite furniture, we were in an F1, found the bed very comfortable, we are both 6ft., although did have it set up as a twin

We requested an extra chair to be put into the suite as soon as we had embarked in Cape Town, it was there within an hour

This was also our second cruise on the Explorer, we enjoy the ship very much but I am afraid that the Navigator is still our favourite

Edited by beaujolais

1 hour ago, beaujolais said:

We were on the same cruise as you Eliana and had no problems at all with the suite furniture, we were in an F1, found the bed very comfortable, we are both 6ft., although did have it set up as a twin

We requested an extra chair to be put into the suite as soon as we had embarked in Cape Town, it was there within an hour

This was also our second cruise on the Explorer, we enjoy the ship very much but I am afraid that the Navigator is still our favourite

That was the problem. You needed an extra chair as the settee was very uncomfortable for two and the standard chair was a desk type chair and not one for relaxing in.

We have travelled on the Navigator a few times and enjoyed it for not too long cruises. We do find it restrictive regarding dining. As it has neither a French nor Asian  restaurant and Prime 7 is becoming redundant with the extension of the steak menu in the main restaurant.

When we were in a superior suite, November 2016 on a TA, there was an additional arm chair in the suite, opposite the sofa. It was very comfortable and we did not need to shift the desk chair. 

I agree, the sofa lacked comfort. (We were very spoiled the next time, as we had the large Explorer suite. What a difference money makes!)LOL. 

Sheila

On 2/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, tripperva said:

Just be careful of the suite location on Explorer as on all ships. We are currently on Explorer and have t of loud noise above our suite,mostly from the pantry.

If you don't mind, please post a quick mini-review on the SuiteGuru sticky at the top of the main Regent forum page so I can update the spreadsheets with this info - thanks!!