Road To Hana Excursion

Syracusefan44

My wife and I are taking our first cruise to Hawaii out of San Francisco on April 21st.

We were hoping we could get some input on which Road to Hana excursion to book from passengers who have taken these excursions in the past.  We always book excursions through Princess and they offer one excursion Hana Road Adventure & Picnic in an 8 passenger limo van (9 hours) and a second excursion Adenture to Hana on a 20 passenger bus (9.75 hours).

Just make sure to ask if either tour takes you off road and down to where Lindbergh is buried beyond the church.

I was able to do this back in 1980 but I also think some cars and not allowed only 4 wheel drives.

If you get a chance, it would and is neat to see where he is buried.

The road down is beautiful with many twists and turns so the small the vehicle, the better.

1 hour ago, Syracusefan44 said:

My wife and I are taking our first cruise to Hawaii out of San Francisco on April 21st.

We were hoping we could get some input on which Road to Hana excursion to book from passengers who have taken these excursions in the past.  We always book excursions through Princess and they offer one excursion Hana Road Adventure & Picnic in an 8 passenger limo van (9 hours) and a second excursion Adenture to Hana on a 20 passenger bus (9.75 hours).

I would take the one with the smaller vehicle.  With the smaller number of passengers, we had great interaction with the local driver/tour guide.  It was wonderful.   (My local tour guide turned out to be from Lousiville, KY, originally, even though he had lived on Maui for many years.  Too much fun!  He had once worked for the Louisville Courier Journal.  I had told him that the Courier Journal had been my newspaper when I was in college, many, many years ago.)

On the way back, we stopped at the "Halfway to Hana" ice cream stand.  It had great Hawaiian flavors.  Our guide told us that we were not allowed to get vanilla or chocolate🙂🍨🍦

It was a great time!

If you're not pressed for time, I would consider renting a convertible, buying a GyPSy App and let the App be your guide for this drive.  That's what we did on the Road to Hana and we thoroughly enjoyed it!  Our ship was docked over night, so if the drive took longer than expected we were not at risk for missing the ship.  You never know what can happen on that road.  We came upon a landslide that had the road shut down in both directions.  However, crews were on it quickly and had the road cleared before too long.  Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip!  We have wonderful memories of that trek.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if you dock on Lahaina side it is a long drive over & back, I agree a small car is best to travel the road to Hana. Rental cars can go as far in to see where Lindberg is buried but then we had to turn around and come back down.  On our one & only trip, there is no sign off the road once you get to Hana  unless they have added one to let you know where to turn. it looked like a private drive and had to ask a local. The road itself to Hana unless widened is narrow with a lot of turns and one lane bridges. I will add it was years that we were there so hopefully improvements have been made. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrOfBytes said:

If you're not pressed for time, I would consider renting a convertible, buying a GyPSy App and let the App be your guide for this drive.  That's what we did on the Road to Hana and we thoroughly enjoyed it!  Our ship was docked over night, so if the drive took longer than expected we were not at risk for missing the ship.  You never know what can happen on that road.  We came upon a landslide that had the road shut down in both directions.  However, crews were on it quickly and had the road cleared before too long.  Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip!  We have wonderful memories of that trek.

You are on a  Princess ship anchored off of Lahaina (far opposite end of the island from Hana).  I would not recommend you doing this on your own.  If you miss the ship, it's a long swim home.  

It has many switch backs.  A smaller vehicle is probably the better way to do this.  If you are incline to get motion sickness, I would also not advise the car ride.  

I have done the road to Hana, not on a Princess excursion.  Also don't think your tour will have the time to visit Lindberg's grave, church, or Seven Sacred Pools.  

Lastly, check out https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1523291/ if you can find it.  It will give a a cultural feel for Hana.  

• Thanks 1

I've not done the excursion but I have done the road to Hana twice.  I can't imagine how horrible it would be to be in a big bus full of people.  Someone will most likely get motion sick with the breaking, accelerating and the hundreds of turns, most of them 120 to 180 degree type corners.   I'd go with the small van.  If it stops, it will be able to stop in more places, there is not much room on that road for a big ass bus.  As an example this 3min plus very partial Hana Highway timelapse will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.  BTW, the first 2 minutes although technically the Hana Hwy, is not the twisty part.   

5 hours ago, Aesop081 said:

I've not done the excursion but I have done the road to Hana twice.  I can't imagine how horrible it would be to be in a big bus full of people.  Someone will most likely get motion sick with the breaking, accelerating and the hundreds of turns, most of them 120 to 180 degree type corners.na Hwy, is not the twisty part.

My wife and I, along with our adult son, drove the Road to Hana in January 2016.  In a rental car.  We only made it about half way, my adult son was nauseous from the motion.  We had to turn around and head back -- and my son suffered the entire time.  

My wife and I were fine.  And as for the motion sickness...we probably never went faster than 20 or 25 MPH, and most times were slower than that -- and it still made him nauseous.  He never vomited...thankfully.  But he felt awful.

We also drove the road north (?) out of Lahaina (I forget what they call that).  Scariest road I've ever driven.  There are one or two places where the road is simply two tire tracks and one side of the car is about 12 inches from a cliff wall and the other side of the car is about 12 inches from drop-off of several hundred feet.  I could look out the drivers window and straight down...several hundred feet!  And the worst part...just as we exited to the normal road...we found a "road closed" barrier!  We had to turn around and go right back through the scary part.  That's something I'll never forget and will never attempt again!

Edited by Paul from Maryland

OP, what are your expectations for the Road to Hanna?

It is mostly about the twisty road and foliage with a few viewpoints.

Not a trip I would do again.  People in our group said it was over rated.

Please be careful about the timing, any issue with vehicles on this road could result in a delayed return to the ship.

• Like 3

On our way down, we met 2 vans coming up and because of a large rock on our side sticking out, we spent over 15 minutes with the van & ourselves, inching our way through. The 2nd Van waved the cars coming down through before he proceeded up. If I ever return with friends I doubt I will take them up that road myself although we did on that first trip with another couple with husband driving.

19 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

We did the Princess excursion....the one that is the 8 person van, and that is the one I would recommend. Much more personable, quicker to get on and off the van at the various stops and the seats were comfortable. 

The only way I would rent a car to do that drive is if I was staying on the island as the drive is long and longer if you do numerous stops to see the sights. Plus traffic coming back to Lahaina can get quite heavy.......too much risk for missing the ship.

Hawaii cruise Grand Princess Hawaii Maui Road to Hana 04 28 2017 7571-7571.jpg

Hawaii cruise Grand Princess Hawaii Maui Road to Hana 04 28 2017 7572-7572.jpg

We actually stayed in Hana for 2 nights. The stay was wonderful at the cabins overlooking the Pacific. The drive itself is a beautiful drive but agree, your going with the 8 passenger van with Princess is your best way then your free to view the scenery going up. 

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/maui/waianapanapa-state-park/

On 2/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, Cruiserkenn said:

Some other tempting flavors include mango, banana mac crunch,  mint chip,  vanilla macadamia nut, and kona coffee🍦🍧☺️🌞

I'm plugging the Vanilla Macadamia Nut.  To die for.  Had one at Queen ??????? mall in Kahalui with chewy caramel in with the vanilla Mac...oh oh oh...my

On 2/13/2019 at 3:48 AM, Paul from Maryland said:

My wife and I, along with our adult son, drove the Road to Hana in January 2016.  In a rental car.  We only made it about half way, my adult son was nauseous from the motion.  We had to turn around and head back -- and my son suffered the entire time.  

My wife and I were fine.  And as for the motion sickness...we probably never went faster than 20 or 25 MPH, and most times were slower than that -- and it still made him nauseous.  He never vomited...thankfully.  But he felt awful.

We also drove the road north (?) out of Lahaina (I forget what they call that).  Scariest road I've ever driven.  There are one or two places where the road is simply two tire tracks and one side of the car is about 12 inches from a cliff wall and the other side of the car is about 12 inches from drop-off of several hundred feet.  I could look out the drivers window and straight down...several hundred feet!  And the worst part...just as we exited to the normal road...we found a "road closed" barrier!  We had to turn around and go right back through the scary part.  That's something I'll never forget and will never attempt again!

That is indeed a "fun" road to drive north of Kanaapali (SP?).  When we were in Maui last August they were saying the state is going to widen, and straighten it a bit to make it another tourist drive like the Hana Hwy.  Lots of locals not thrilled about the idea.  Will be interesting to see what they do in a few years.  The scenery is phenomenal that part of the island.

On a trip in 2012, we drove all the way around both ends of the island. The drive around the north end out of Kaanapali did indeed have a few white-knuckle-sweaty-palm moments. For me though, the best ride was on the one-lane road around the south side of the island, beyond Hana. The views looking up the steep escarpment of the back side of Haleakala and looking down to the wild coast below were spectacular. The emptiness and desolation of the area just added to the beauty.