Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
euro cruiser

New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

What is your question?

I see it never posted. Understanding the query for dates in order of day, month, year in Italian, it doesn't seem to post dates properly. Specifically tried July 8th for a r/t ticket Civ/Rome, and I get the "not a number" phrase every single time. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by johnjen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what you're doing wrong, I just did it and the Civitavecchia Express at 9:35 on 08-07-2019 comes right up.

 

What are you using as starting and ending points?  For the Civitavecchia Express the starting point must be either Civitavecchia or CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO (this one includes the bus from the port to the train station).  The ending point must be either Roma Ostiense or Roma S. Pietro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I don't know what you're doing wrong, I just did it and the Civitavecchia Express at 9:35 on 08-07-2019 comes right up.

 

What are you using as starting and ending points?  For the Civitavecchia Express the starting point must be either Civitavecchia or CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO (this one includes the bus from the port to the train station).  The ending point must be either Roma Ostiense or Roma S. Pietro.

Ah. I think I was doing Roma Termini. Dayum....STILL not working. I must be doing something stupid, LOL....thanks though! Maybe we will just hang on to the expensive excursion plan.

Edited by johnjen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I don't know what you're doing wrong, I just did it and the Civitavecchia Express at 9:35 on 08-07-2019 comes right up.

 

What are you using as starting and ending points?  For the Civitavecchia Express the starting point must be either Civitavecchia or CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO (this one includes the bus from the port to the train station).  The ending point must be either Roma Ostiense or Roma S. Pietro.

Aha...it was Google CHROME acting up. Did the same now on Firefox. Worked! Thanks.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question remaining. There's apparently a bus that takes you from the port to the train station as well....would that bus be sitting on the pier or would we just walk someplace to meet it? Considering the excursion rate is around $70 each and we can do this way for less than $30 for the two of us....wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Trenitalia bus picks up and drops off at the transportation center (Largo della Pace) where the free port shuttle bus drops off, according to the promotional materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just booked our express train tickets (including the shuttle) for October!

 

Thanks to all for this thread, I was looking on Viator for transfer options from Civitavecchia and found their express train ticket offer of $40. But there is no return info, and calling the 1-800 number was useless. 

 

For the previous poster who was wondering how many ships will be in port on a given day, use this:

http://app.cruisetoports.com/how-busy-is-the-cruise-port 

 

Enter the port and date combination you're interested in, and voila!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 11:25 AM, dawnvip said:

For the previous poster who was wondering how many ships will be in port on a given day, use this:

http://app.cruisetoports.com/how-busy-is-the-cruise-port 

 

Enter the port and date combination you're interested in, and voila!

Well, we decided to just keep the more expensive excursion plan on the high speed train to Rome because it comes to memory that they'll only let off excursion people FIRST....meaning that the trains will probably be crowded that morning we pull in, and thanks Dawn for your link....FIVE ships with over 3000 passengers the day we pull in.....wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 11:25 AM, dawnvip said:

For the previous poster who was wondering how many ships will be in port on a given day, use this:

http://app.cruisetoports.com/how-busy-is-the-cruise-port 

 

Enter the port and date combination you're interested in, and voila!

Well, we decided to just keep the more expensive excursion plan on the high speed train to Rome because it comes to memory that they'll only let off excursion people FIRST....meaning that the trains will probably be crowded that morning we pull in, and thanks Dawn for your link....FIVE ships with over 3000 passengers the day we pull in.....wow! No wait....it's over 11,000....I was reading crew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in Rome last week with RC so I thought I’d pop back and tell you what we learned!

 

The free shuttle bus took us from the ship out of the port. There was then about a 2km walk to the train station. We discovered later that the walk from the ship directly to the train station was similar so I personally wouldn’t bother with the shuttle. We left the ship at 7.30am and there were no queues for the shuttle. 

 

At the train station we didn’t buy tickets for the express train. We bought a Birg ticket for 12euros per person which is a return ticket and includes buses and metro in Rome. The trains are every 30 mins and timetables can be found on the website. There were no issues with getting seats and by using this ticket we could return on whichever train we wanted rather than waiting for a specific one. 

 

For anyone with kids, we had to pay for them on the train at 6 euros per person (approx) and the buses and metros are free. 

 

A word of warning that on the way back, the main train station is massive so it could be a good 20 minute walk to the platform!

 

Its really straight forward and for us definitely better than taking the expensive cruise tours. 

 

Any questions give me a shout and I’ll help if I can 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Gumpxyz said:

We were in Rome last week with RC so I thought I’d pop back and tell you what we learned!

 

The free shuttle bus took us from the ship out of the port. There was then about a 2km walk to the train station. We discovered later that the walk from the ship directly to the train station was similar so I personally wouldn’t bother with the shuttle. We left the ship at 7.30am and there were no queues for the shuttle. 

 

At the train station we didn’t buy tickets for the express train. We bought a Birg ticket for 12euros per person which is a return ticket and includes buses and metro in Rome. The trains are every 30 mins and timetables can be found on the website. There were no issues with getting seats and by using this ticket we could return on whichever train we wanted rather than waiting for a specific one. 

 

For anyone with kids, we had to pay for them on the train at 6 euros per person (approx) and the buses and metros are free. 

 

A word of warning that on the way back, the main train station is massive so it could be a good 20 minute walk to the platform!

 

Its really straight forward and for us definitely better than taking the expensive cruise tours. 

 

Any questions give me a shout and I’ll help if I can 😃

You mentioned a big station is that Termini? Will the Brig ticket only go to the one station or can you go to any?

 

I know that it has been mentioned before but just hoped for a little feed back. Is this too ambitious? We are thinking to go to Ostiense, subway to Colosseum and Forum. (spending some time there) walk to Pantheon, Fountain, maybe stairs. Taxi to Trastavere, maybe walk to St. Peters square to just see it, and take a train from S. Pietro back to the ship. 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

You mentioned a big station is that Termini? Will the Brig ticket only go to the one station or can you go to any?

 

I know that it has been mentioned before but just hoped for a little feed back. Is this too ambitious? We are thinking to go to Ostiense, subway to Colosseum and Forum. (spending some time there) walk to Pantheon, Fountain, maybe stairs. Taxi to Trastavere, maybe walk to St. Peters square to just see it, and take a train from S. Pietro back to the ship. 

 

Thanks

No it goes to others stations and can be used on the metro system which is really good. There is 20 mins difference between san Pietro and Termini so 40 mins from Civitavecchia to san Pietro or an hour to the Termini. 

 

We we did it the other way - San Pietro for St. Peter’s first thing before the crowds, didn’t do the Sistine Chapel,  walked to the Pantheon then Trevi then forum and colosseum. Metro from colosseum to Termini then the train back. Rome in a day is difficult and you have to pick and choose what you want to see. We walked 10 miles that day with 2 kids and we were exhausted but loved it! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, johnjen said:

I see it never posted. Understanding the query for dates in order of day, month, year in Italian, it doesn't seem to post dates properly. Specifically tried July 8th for a r/t ticket Civ/Rome, and I get the "not a number" phrase every single time. What am I doing wrong?

In Europe, they use dates as Day/Month/Year..../ Could that be the reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest issue with all of this is what time will I get off the ship, I would hate to book the first express train and not get off the ship earlier enough.  We are arriving on the second of October on the Emerald Princess, the itinerary says the ship arrives at 0500 but i have no idea what time we will get off the ship.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brew-man said:

My biggest issue with all of this is what time will I get off the ship, I would hate to book the first express train and not get off the ship earlier enough.  We are arriving on the second of October on the Emerald Princess, the itinerary says the ship arrives at 0500 but i have no idea what time we will get off the ship.

 

Dan

 

You should be able to get off by 7 am, 7:30 am latest.

 

steamboats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steamboats said:

 

You should be able to get off by 7 am, 7:30 am latest.

 

steamboats

 

Thanks Steamboats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the big downside with this new train, or really any service that aims to work for all cruise lines at once.  They leave late, allowing for the latest disembarking ship and come back early, for the earliest departing ship.

 

Also, from Trenitalia's perspective, the point is to free up the trains for commuters and adding yet another train into an already crowded early morning schedule probably isn't ever going to fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone done the Frecciabianca (or I guess any other train) into Rome after disembarking with their bags? Sounds like there aren't taxis/ubers available at the pier. I'm wondering how feasible the whole shuttle and then walk or bus to the train station in Civitavecchia is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You also have the option of booking the Trenitalia bus from the port to the station along with your Frecce ticket.  On the Trenitalia site use Civitavecchia Porto as your starting location and Roma Termini as your destination.  Choose "Principali Soluzioni" because if you limit to Frecce trains the bus option won't show up.   This adds two euro to the cost of the train ride (the same cost as the local bus to the station) but you can do it ahead of time on line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You also have the option of booking the Trenitalia bus from the port to the station along with your Frecce ticket.  On the Trenitalia site use Civitavecchia Porto as your starting location and Roma Termini as your destination.  Choose "Principali Soluzioni" because if you limit to Frecce trains the bus option won't show up.   This adds two euro to the cost of the train ride (the same cost as the local bus to the station) but you can do it ahead of time on line. 

 

Thanks for the quick response! Do you know if the Trenitalia bus is more of a traditional city-bus, or a coach with an undercarriage for the baggage?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know for sure but it would make sense, given that their buses exist to bring people to trains, that they are in some way set up for luggage.  

 

I went to google images italia and looked at what came up, different kinds of buses all with the TrenItalia/BusItalia and Frecce Link logos:  https://*****.com/y465f8x3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked a round trip from roma termini to porto civitavecchio. One of the trains was an InterCity and the other one was a Frecce.

 

The one thing to know is that you have to book everything at the same rate because the bus portion does not offer discounts so you must chose the base tier of pricing. So you can't select the discount tiers like economy or supersaver for the train. But then travelling 1st class on both trains for wife and me round trip was 92 Euro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you click on the bus it says "Servizio di CSP (Civitavecchia Servizi Pubblici)" so I think it's the same public transit bus that you would get if you arrived on your own. Only difference is you don't need to line up for a second ticket this way. The fact no buses are available from noon-2pm also lines up with the hours of service for the current public transit bus. I could be wrong, though. 

Edited by cmich068

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 1:02 PM, euro cruiser said:

Trenitalia is finally addressing the overcrowding on the commuter line between Civitavecchia and Rome.  On April 1st a new service will start directed at cruise passengers, it will run April 1 through December 14th.

 

There will be two trains each morning and two returns in the afternoon.  As will not make any stops between Civitavecchia and Rome the trip will be about 10 - 15 minutes faster than the regional train.  Other key points:

  •  Seating is guaranteed, there are 720 seats on the train and only 720 tickets will be sold
  •  There will be two stops in Rome, San Pietro (for those heading to the Vatican) and Ostiense (connecting to metro for those heading to downtown Rome)
  •  A one way ticket costs 10 euro, round trip is 15 euro
  •  Children 4 and under travel free (but do not get a seat), children up to 12 accompanied by an adult travel free and do get a seat (one child per adult)
  •  There will be self serve kiosks in the Civitavecchia station to purchase tickets

 

So far there is nothing mentioned about buying these tickets on line ahead of travel, we'll have to watch for that.

 

The newspaper article, in Italian, can be found here:  https://roma.corriere.it/notizie/cronaca/19_febbraio_12/roma-nasce-civitavecchia-express-che-collega-porto-capitale-aa07d474-2edc-11e9-9800-d9788a74058f.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am following this thread. We have a port of call here early next year, but I like planning ahead for options. My "problem" is I see there are a total of 5 cruise ships in port that day, with just over 10,000 ppl if all are sailing close to full. That's way too many bodies for the 2 express trains. I'm looking at alternatives.

https://www.italiarail.com/

I did a mock booking here... it's all English so was easy to navigate. I could order tickets(2nd class) here for 2 people, roundtrip for $27 (USD). Tickets are from Civitavecchio to S.Pietro station-direct. Trains appear to depart every 15-30 mins. and there is a 4 hour window in which the tickets will be valid.

 

Can someone confirm what I am seeing? What are the cons (if any)? And is this a workable and valid option? 

We spent 8 days in Rome last year and have already seen most of the favorite tourist spots, so we plan to go to a couple off the beaten path places on our own; as such we have some flexibility on travel to and from the ship.

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...