Bar Harbor Port Date Discrepancy

olemissreb

Cross posted on the Canada/New England Board. Figured I'd post here too in case anyone else has experienced this.

I'm looking to book our excursion in Bar Harbor, but there seems to be a discrepancy between when RCL is saying we'll be there and when the Bar Harbor cruise schedule says we'll be there.  According to RCL, we should be there on October 1st.  According to Bar Harbor schedule, we should be there on October 4th.  Who's right? I hate to book for the date we are supposed to be there only to find out on 9/29 (embarkation date) that we won't be there until 10/4 and then find out that the excursion is full. Help!

I contacted the harbormaster in Bar Harbor, and Serenade is expected on 10/4 since all berths were already taken on 10/1.  Now I wonder when RCCL will actually notify passengers?  Even trying to do a dummy booking, they still have Serenade in Bar Harbor on 10/1.  Looking at the cruise planner, they still have it listed as Day 3 instead of Day 6.  Hope there aren't too many disappointed people on board ship.

Edited by olemissreb

Other than what the harbor master told me, everywhere else I look matches the RCCL itinerary.  We are 227 days from sailing, if there is an itinerary change, when will RCCL notify the passengers? Or will it be one of those that we have to wait until we are on the ship?  I even called RCCL to find out if there is going to be a change and they were of no help telling me that everything is as planned.  Does Bar Harbor even have 4 berths for ships? Looking at the schedule it only looks like 3 max and on 10/1 we'd be the 4th ship.  UGH so confusing and all I want to do is book my independent excursions and rent a car in Halifax.

Definitely go with what the harbor master says as FACT! Some years ago we booked a Celebrity cruise that was scheduled to start in San Francisco. All the cruise docs from Celebrity showed it would be ready for boarding at noon. Well, thank heavens that one of the wonderful posters here reviewed the details on the previous sailing. That showed the cruise debarking in Seattle on the same day we would be boarding in San Francisco. You can't sail from Seattle to San Francisco in two hours!

So those lucky enough to be following our roll calls, changed flight schedules or set up tours in San Francisco and didn't make plans to arrive until 5:00 pm. If memory serves me, Celebrity sent out messages either the night before or the morning of their arrival saying there would be a delay. And instead of boarding at the piers where all the fun stuff in, we'd be boarding at an industrial port on the other side of town. 

They didn't start boarding until 7:00 PM. We arrived at 8:00 PM and had a relaxed boarding with a whole bunch of grumpy and frazzled cruisers!

Not that this is similar situation since change is months out. But in 30+ yrs sailing I've had 2 dozen changes in ports or days we stop at the Ports. Weather, Full Berths at Port, Civil War, Medical. Most are Medical and few times have had passengers lifted off ship with Basket, they never used the Helipad. But many times have had to speed up, slow down and turn around or stop at different Port. We had 3 Medical Emergencies on just one 11nite Cruise last year. Stuff Happens...

Have you checked with the harbor schedules at your other ports?

We have experienced errors in port sites (other ships that would be in port with us), but not with our RC bookings.  

Our TA's website shows Oct. 1; Oct. 4 is Halifax.  See what Halifax ship schedule shows.

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Have you checked with the harbor schedules at your other ports?

We have experienced errors in port sites (other ships that would be in port with us), but not with our RC bookings.  

Our TA's website shows Oct. 1; Oct. 4 is Halifax.  See what Halifax ship schedule shows.

I have.  Halifax still shows us on 10/4.  The harbormaster did tell me that there is no way we could be in port that day since all anchorages are taken.  I wonder if RCL is trying to get another ship to switch places with them or something?  Who knows? I just wish they'd make all the necessary changes so I can get stuffed booked.  I hate setting up a booking for a car for 2 different days and then not using one of them.  I just feel bad about "tying" up a car that someone else could be using, but I guess I'll do that if I have to.

Thanks all! Was hoping someone had some kind of definitive answer as to when RCL would let us know about itinerary changes.  I hate getting on a ship only to find out what you had planned won't work because we aren't going to that port - had that happen on my first 2 cruises.

9 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

I have.  Halifax still shows us on 10/4.  The harbormaster did tell me that there is no way we could be in port that day since all anchorages are taken.  I wonder if RCL is trying to get another ship to switch places with them or something?  Who knows? I just wish they'd make all the necessary changes so I can get stuffed booked.  I hate setting up a booking for a car for 2 different days and then not using one of them.  I just feel bad about "tying" up a car that someone else could be using, but I guess I'll do that if I have to.

Thanks all! Was hoping someone had some kind of definitive answer as to when RCL would let us know about itinerary changes.  I hate getting on a ship only to find out what you had planned won't work because we aren't going to that port - had that happen on my first 2 cruises.

Have you contacted Royal? I'd contact them and try to get escalated above the normal cruise rep you'd get put on the phone with.

Just now, rbschultz said:

Have you contacted Royal? I'd contact them and try to get escalated above the normal cruise rep you'd get put on the phone with.

I did call them and the rep supposedly checked with the correct department and was told that nothing was changing.  Interesting though since now the port of Halifax shows the Serenade there on 10/2.  Guess I'll be planning my excursions based on when the individual ports show us to be there.  🙂

1 minute ago, olemissreb said:

I did call them and the rep supposedly checked with the correct department and was told that nothing was changing.  Interesting though since now the port of Halifax shows the Serenade there on 10/2.  Guess I'll be planning my excursions based on when the individual ports show us to be there.  🙂

yeah you dealt with the paper pushers... gotta get up the chain.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - got the email from Royal with the itinerary change.  Never could get to the right people, but am sure glad I did some research.  Now I can book my excursions with confidence.  For anyone interested, here's a copy of the email I received with the new itinerary: 

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International for our upcoming Serenade of the Seas, September 29th, 2019 sailing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard and wanted to share an important itinerary change with you.

We’ve been advised that there is some port congestion in Bar Harbor, Maine. To avoid large crowds and provide you with a comfortable experience, we’ve rearranged our itinerary to ensure you have the best vacation with us. Your updated itinerary is below.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Tender/Dock

Sun

Boston, Massachusetts

5:00 PM

D

Mon

Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay Of Fundy)

10:15 AM

9:30 PM

D

Tue

Cruising

C

Wed

Halifax, Nova Scotia

7:00 AM

7:00 PM

D

Thu

Cruising

C

Fri

Bar Harbor, Maine

6:00 PM

T

Sat

Portland, Maine

6:00 PM

D

Sun

Boston, Massachusetts

D

This cruise will offer the perfect mix of historic charm, ocean views, scenic lighthouses, and delicious food. While in Halifax, explore vibrant fishing village of Peggy’s Cove. Kayak on the coast of the Saint John River and enjoy a Lobster Cookout. Or discover the delicious cuisine of Bar Harbor by sampling locally produced and prepared foods. Whatever you do, you’ll have a great time!

Lastly, any affected pre- paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions scheduled for Saint John, Halifax, Bar Harbor, and Portland will be rescheduled by our Shore Excursions Department for you. Within the next 3 business days, you will receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your refund details. Then, feel free to browse through our Cruise Planner for additional excursions that may interest you.

Thank you for understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard.

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

• Thanks 1