Venice transfers?

Karen Lynn

2 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

In the absence of using Viking's transfer options - anyone have an alternate suggestion or recommendation?

Flying from Venice to Marseille post cruise.

Thanks!!

Not a problem.  Simply take a land taxi from the port to the airport.  If you are staying at a hotel you will have to explore other options such as a Water Taxi, Alilaguna (Blu Line to the airport), or using the Vaporetto to get yourself to the Piazale Roma where you can get either a land taxi or the ATVO Express bus to the airport.

And by the way.  In nearly all cases a land taxi will be less costly then cruise line transfers (assuming 2 persons).  And the very nice ATVO bus is an even lower cost excellent option.

Hank

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

or using the Vaporetto to get yourself to the Piazale Roma where you can get either a land taxi or the ATVO Express bus to the airport.

Hank,

I´m sure you meant the People Mover to get to Piazzale Roma (not the vaporetto - the walking distance to the closest vaporetto stop is longer than to the People Mover).

steamboats

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Hank,

I´m sure you meant the People Mover to get to Piazzale Roma (not the vaporetto - the walking distance to the closest vaporetto stop is longer than to the People Mover).

steamboats

Nope.   My post was covering both transportation from the port to the airport and also transportation from a hotel to the airport.  The OP never made it clear whether they needed transport directly from the port or perhaps a post cruise hotel.  Either way there is no reason to use the People Mover to get to the airport unless one wanted to go to the P. Roma from the port and perhaps use the ATVO bus (to the airport).

Speaking of the People Mover, we are big fans :).  But it can be an issue for folks dragging their luggage and who have some mobility issues (especially with luggage).

Hank

Hi, thanks for the info regarding Trevisio Car service.  Does anyone else have any more recommendations as there are just two of us and euro60 is a bit on the high side.  We are on Rhapsody arriving 08th June back into VCE.  We need to get to Marco Polo airport for a flight back to UK.  Our flight is at 1115 and reading that the airport is often a mess and worried that even if we get off the ship as soon as possible (we dock at 0645) we may miss our flight.  

Second question does anyone know how long after we dock can we do the self carry walk off? Hoping we can depart around 0745 am, and how long does it take to get thru security at the port.

Thirdly is the car waiting right outside the ship? Would 0830 be a good time to book the car or could we make it for 0800?

Thanks Sue 

On 2/15/2019 at 11:57 AM, Hlitner said:

Not a problem.  Simply take a land taxi from the port to the airport.  If you are staying at a hotel you will have to explore other options such as a Water Taxi, Alilaguna (Blu Line to the airport), or using the Vaporetto to get yourself to the Piazale Roma where you can get either a land taxi or the ATVO Express bus to the airport.

And by the way.  In nearly all cases a land taxi will be less costly then cruise line transfers (assuming 2 persons).  And the very nice ATVO bus is an even lower cost excellent option.

Hank

One question re land taxi?

Are they readily available at the port? Close to the ships or a walk?

Seems a simple option ..

2 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

One question re land taxi?

Are they readily available at the port? Close to the ships or a walk?

Seems a simple option ..

As Steamboats posted, there are usually some taxis at the Terminal Building which is where you would claim your luggage.  If you decide to do express/self disembarkation where you would carry off your own luggage they may or may not be near the ship.  All this depends on your exact docking position.  Another alternative is to go online and arrange for a private transfer where you would have your own car/driver waiting at the port.  The pricing on this varies, but it can be more then just a regular land taxi.  

Since we are touching on the subject of Marco Polo Airport, I should mention that this can be an awful airport :(.  At some times it is one of the best examples of inefficiency in the aviation world!  Wise travelers get to this airport far in advance of their flight (3 hours is pretty common).  Once at the airport the fun can begin with either long lines that do not move to check-in counters that are not even open or staffed.  Other times things actually run like a real airport.  The problem for travelers is there is no way to know, in advance, what they will face at this airport.

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As Steamboats posted, there are usually some taxis at the Terminal Building which is where you would claim your luggage.  If you decide to do express/self disembarkation where you would carry off your own luggage they may or may not be near the ship.  All this depends on your exact docking position.  Another alternative is to go online and arrange for a private transfer where you would have your own car/driver waiting at the port.  The pricing on this varies, but it can be more then just a regular land taxi.  

Since we are touching on the subject of Marco Polo Airport, I should mention that this can be an awful airport :(.  At some times it is one of the best examples of inefficiency in the aviation world!  Wise travelers get to this airport far in advance of their flight (3 hours is pretty common).  Once at the airport the fun can begin with either long lines that do not move to check-in counters that are not even open or staffed.  Other times things actually run like a real airport.  The problem for travelers is there is no way to know, in advance, what they will face at this airport.

Hank

Wow, sounds like how ‘not’ to run an airport!

Good points.  The port is a trek to the airport isn’t it as well? So, perhaps a plan to debark at 4 hours prior to flight time isn’t far off.

21 minutes ago, Karen Lynn said:

Wow, sounds like how ‘not’ to run an airport!

Good points.  The port is a trek to the airport isn’t it as well? So, perhaps a plan to debark at 4 hours prior to flight time isn’t far off.

I am sure many here on CC have their own tales of Marco Polo airport.  We have two.  A few years ago, USAIR (long gone) actually had a daily flight from Marco Polo to PHL.  That flight would depart about 10am so we arrived at the airport a little after 7am.  The USAIR counter was closed (no staff).  The line quickly formed until there were about 200 (the entire flight) cooling their heels.  Finally at around 8:45 one employee showed-up and began the check-in process.  The flight departed nearly 2 hours late..for the simply reason that it took that long to get everyone checked-in.  On another flight (direct from the USA) we landed late in the morning and all was fine.  But, we were the last plane to land that day because the baggage handlers decided to go on a one-day strike at noon.  All the following flights had to be diverted to Milan where those passengers faced a 3 hour bus ride to Venice!

And more recently, friends of ours purchased online and in advance a Venice City Pass which includes transport from the airport into Venice.  They were told to pick-up their pass at a counter located near the exit.  When they went to that counter it was closed!  Such is life in Italy.  DW and I love Italy (have spent a lot of time driving throughout the country) but perhaps anti-anxiety pills should be provided for all visitors :).

Hank

Oh my!! Sounds like Italy lol

Few years back we toured Italy and my husband drove all over for 3 weeks. Our last nights were in Rome so we didn't require the car any longer. We were with another couple and hubby dropped us at the hotel and left to drop the car 'somewhere' around the train station. In hindsight , someone should have gone with him to be his lookout but didn't! He couldn't find the drop off circling around and around Rome for more than an hour. Way more , almost 2! Finally he parked it and got out and went right into the station and found the car rental company kiosk, closed at 2 in the afternoon but there was a drop box for keys so he deposited them . Called there next day to ensure they'd been recovered and all was well. 

In the weeks that followed  we received 800€ in tickets - for every time he circled the station the city 'proper' limits - a fee of 100€ was assessed.

Adore Italy , but ...and my beautiful son in law to be is from Ferrara not far from Venice and totally concurs with the shortcomings and mindset of the workforce lol

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Karen Lynn said:

Oh my!! Sounds like Italy lol

Few years back we toured Italy and my husband drove all over for 3 weeks. Our last nights were in Rome so we didn't require the car any longer. We were with another couple and hubby dropped us at the hotel and left to drop the car 'somewhere' around the train station. In hindsight , someone should have gone with him to be his lookout but didn't! He couldn't find the drop off circling around and around Rome for more than an hour. Way more , almost 2! Finally he parked it and got out and went right into the station and found the car rental company kiosk, closed at 2 in the afternoon but there was a drop box for keys so he deposited them . Called there next day to ensure they'd been recovered and all was well. 

In the weeks that followed  we received 800€ in tickets - for every time he circled the station the city 'proper' limits - a fee of 100€ was assessed.

Adore Italy , but ...and my beautiful son in law to be is from Ferrara not far from Venice and totally concurs with the shortcomings and mindset of the workforce lol

OMG!   Welcome to the Italian world of ZTLs....or Limited Driving Zones.  These are in most of the larger cities and even some smaller places (like Pisa) and cover certain parts of the city.  The signs that mark these zones can be difficult to see...if they even exist.  It sounds like your DH was moving in and out of the ZTL and that would get him a fine every time he penetrated the ZTL.  When we must drive in cities that have ZTLs, we spend some pre-trip time printing out and studying the ZTL maps.  But I have always avoided driving in Rome :).  We do drive to Florence (which also has a large ZTL) but stay at the Hotel David...which is conveniently located just outside the ZTL with easy access from South of the city.

For those curious about these "ZTLs" here is a link to the map of Rome's many ZTL's.  

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=12ic9ghn13-df68yrGeHAh99MG9o&ll=41.89744195289056%2C12.494330695800727&z=14

The Termini Station is located just outside of Zone "F" but with the various one-way streets it is too darn easy to penetrate that Zone without having a clue you have violated any rules.  It is a very expensive way to learn a valuable lesson :(.

Hank

On 2/17/2019 at 3:58 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Well I am now glad that I booked a flight from Treviso on the evening of our disembarkation.   I wont get home until the early hours of the next morning. 

I booked it because it was the only direct flight to Malaga and preferred the idea of either staying a bit longer in Venice or going to Treviso for the day before our flight back ( will decide much nearer the time).   A direct flight seemed a better plan than a 5 hour stopover in Madrid when it will just be sitting in an airport.  It seems a better idea than Hank's nightmare scenarios.