Ocean Blue and UDP

kskelley40

I have the 3 meal UDP and 2 meals for our platinum status for our next cruise on the Breakaway.  5 specialty meals for a 7 day cruise.

How does it work to use one of your UDP meal for Ocean Blue?  I understand that there is a surcharge when using a UDP meal.  Do I make reservations along with my other dining options and then tell them at the restaurant that I am using a UDP?  What is the surcharge?  I assume it will be charged to our cabin.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Have tried all of the other specialty restaurants many times and would like to try Ocean Blue since this is the first ship we have been on that has it.

According to the NCL website the surcharge for Ocean Blue is $10.

How that is charged depends on when and how you make your reservation. If you reserve it onboard then it is charged to your room.

If you prebook it online then it depends when you reserve it compared to others. If it is one for the first three restaurants you book then the system will assume that you will be using a SDP credit, so will charge you the $10 to your credit card when you make the reservation. If you make three reservations before you do Ocean Blue then the system will assume that you won't be using the SDP and will be paying a la carte. In that case it won't charge you the $10 at the time of reservation.

None of this makes any difference to what restaurants you will use the SDP for and which ones you will pay a la carte. Therefore you could book 3 restaurants first then reserve Ocean Blue and not get charged anything at the time. Then, when you go to the restaurant you tell them that you will be using the SDP and they will just charge you the $10 upcharge.

It is a bit difficult to explain, so I hope that made sense.

Basically, in order to avoid having to pay anything upfront, when making your reservations online, book any with a fixed fee (Moderno, Teppenyaki) first. Then book any a la carte ones that don't have an uncharge with the SDP and then finally book the ones with a SDP uncharge, such as Ocean Blue.

The link in my signature has some details on this (although I don't recall whether it covers Ocean Blue).

Edited by KeithJenner

Actually the up-charge for Ocean Blue on the UDP is $10 plus $2 SC for a total of $12.  If you book on-line the system automatically assumes you are using the UDP and will charge you the additional $12 that must be paid at that time by credit card.  

Thanks for the info.  Still trying to decide.  Have read some bad reviews about Ocean Blue so I am not sure.  Really like seafood, as long as it is good seafood.  Fortunately I have time to decide.  Website says that I can start booking on 3/2

Just a heads-up that even if you use one of your SDP credits and pay the $12 up-charge for your reservation, there are still a couple of items on the menu that are an ADDITIONAL charge on top of that. I just got off the Bliss last weekend where we had dinner at Ocean Blue and there was an extra up-charge for the shrimp cocktail appetizer, surf & turf, and the whole lobster. The amounts for these items were noted on the menus and also we were informed of them by our waiter.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Just a heads-up that even if you use one of your SDP credits and pay the $12 up-charge for your reservation, there are still a couple of items on the menu that are an ADDITIONAL charge on top of that. I just got off the Bliss last weekend where we had dinner at Ocean Blue and there was an extra up-charge for the shrimp cocktail appetizer, surf & turf, and the whole lobster. The amounts for these items were noted on the menus and also we were informed of them by our waiter.

How was the food?  

does anyone have the most recent menu? Especially one that references additional upcharges?  Also, for items that don't have additional upcharges are you allowed to order multiple items???  Such as apps and even entrees????

We got off the Breakaway on Feb. 7th and used one of our SDP credits at Ocean Blu with the $12 upcharge per person.

We had shrimp cocktail and the surf and turf (filet & Maine lobster tail) and paid nothing additional. We were celebrating a birthday and the food and service could not have been better. By far the best meal we had the entire cruise.

Maybe it varies from ship to ship.

36 minutes ago, jmoak said:

does anyone have the most recent menu? Especially one that references additional upcharges?  Also, for items that don't have additional upcharges are you allowed to order multiple items???  Such as apps and even entrees????

The upcharge are stated in the T&Cs of the dining package which you can find on the NCL website.

With the dining package you are restricted to one entree, but can order multiples of other courses (regardless of what the waitstaff may say).

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Interesting, because I was on the Escape last month and had the whole lobster (wasn't that great).  I'm pretty sure there was no up charge (used an SDP credit plus $12 fee).

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

The upcharge are stated in the T&Cs of the dining package which you can find on the NCL website.

With the dining package you are restricted to one entree, but can order multiples of other courses (regardless of what the waitstaff may say).

I'm sorry, I should have specified. I am familiar with the first "upcharge" of 10 bucks...I was referring to jamielogical's reference to an additional charge for specific items. THat's what I was more interested in.  However, someone just posted they got off the Breakaway and they didn't experience this. We leave in a week on the Breakaway and I'm hoping it is the same...thanks, jmoak

I wish we had gotten pictures of the menu. The surf & turf was a $10 upcharge, the shrimp cocktail was $5 (iirc) and I don't remember what the lobster was. My SO got the surf & turf and we definitely paid the upcharge for it. The filet was not nearly as good as the one he'd had the night before at Le Bistro, but the lobster tail was good. We had a choice of unlimited apps and desserts and one entree each, just like when using the SDP at any of the a la carte specialty restaurants. Overall, I didn't feel the meal was worth the $12 upcharge, much less the extra $10 upcharge for the surf & turf. Our meals at Le Bistro and Los Lobos were better.

We were on the Breakaway in January and went to Ocean Blu.  It was our favorite meal of the cruise.  Awesome service and the food was really good.  The waitress insisted we try the king crab legs so brought them as an extra item for free.  They were amazing!  My son and I had the whole lobster and my husband had the surf and turf.  We weren't charged extra besides the upcharge.  We made our reservations online.  After trying it, we wanted to go back but could never get a reservation while on the ship.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I wish we had gotten pictures of the menu. The surf & turf was a $10 upcharge, the shrimp cocktail was $5 (iirc) and I don't remember what the lobster was. My SO got the surf & turf and we definitely paid the upcharge for it. The filet was not nearly as good as the one he'd had the night before at Le Bistro, but the lobster tail was good. We had a choice of unlimited apps and desserts and one entree each, just like when using the SDP at any of the a la carte specialty restaurants. Overall, I didn't feel the meal was worth the $12 upcharge, much less the extra $10 upcharge for the surf & turf. Our meals at Le Bistro and Los Lobos were better.

The Ocean Blue menu we saw posted for Bliss from the first Alaskan cruises seems different than what you are describing.  I thought it had lots of Oysters and I don't think it had a Surf & Turf.   I think the only Lobster it had was some sort of Lobster Pot pie.

Maybe someone will have a picture of the latest menu to post for us, but it sounds strange with all the additional up-charges.  I wonder if Cagney's still has the shrimp cocktail without an up-charge.

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

The Ocean Blue menu we saw posted for Bliss from the first Alaskan cruises seems different than what you are describing.  I thought it had lots of Oysters and I don't think it had a Surf & Turf.   I think the only Lobster it had was some sort of Lobster Pot pie.

Maybe someone will have a picture of the latest menu to post for us, but it sounds strange with all the additional up-charges.  I wonder if Cagney's still has the shrimp cocktail without an up-charge.

BirdTravels and others posted the “new” Ocean Blue menu previously. Some had said that they were testing out a new menu, others said it might eventually replace the prior menu. Maybe they rolled it back, or that was just for the initial Alaska cruises? I read lots of complaints of too much shellfish and the lack of lobster itself, only lobster in stuff (ie Lobster Pot Pie). Does anyone have a copy of the current Bliss menu?

4 hours ago, jmoak said:

I'm sorry, I should have specified. I am familiar with the first "upcharge" of 10 bucks...I was referring to jamielogical's reference to an additional charge for specific items. THat's what I was more interested in.  However, someone just posted they got off the Breakaway and they didn't experience this. We leave in a week on the Breakaway and I'm hoping it is the same...thanks, jmoak

I had missed that post that referred to specific upcharges, but the T&Cs mention more than the $10 upcharge. It does look as though something different was happening on Jamielogicals cruise as she seems to have had a different menu. As has been stated  by others maybe that was a menu they are testing out.

If it was me then I would assume that the details are as per the website, which states that there is one dish which isn’t covered with the SDP (seafood extravaganza). If they tried to upcharge for other dishes then it may be worth speaking to someone about it, as that isn’t what the details of the package state.

I can't believe we got pictures of nearly every single menu on the Bliss and somehow failed to get pictures of the ONE that seems to be causing so much confusion! Very frustrated with ourselves. I am at the point where I might go on the roll call for this week's sailing and ask someone to take a picture for us!

We had the SDP on our May Breakaway cruise to the Baltics. The Ocean Blue upcharge was stated when we arrived for our dining reservation which was made online prior to sailing. We were given the option to decline our reservation at that time. We were aware of the upcharge when we made the reservation, but really wanted to try the OB based on previous CC reviews. I ordered the Delmonico Steak (seafood isn't my thing) and my DH had the Denver Sole. It was our least favorite meal in any SD venue. The service was subpar as well. I'm sure it varies in quality and service, but we will not give Ocean Blue another try.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:47 PM, JamieLogical said:

Just out of curiosity, was the upcharge for the menu items printed on the menu, or they just told you verbally?