Transatlantic Flights

kevboy

Hi, yes you can book specific seats, at approximately 13 to 14 weeks prior. You can access the seat plan via Cruise Personaliser and there is an additional cost, which varies depending on Economy or Premium Economy. Also, Thomas Cook and Thomson have different booking fees in some cases. Some people don't like the extra costs, but we always book ours so I guess we just consider it the cost of doing business. Hope that helps.

Thanks for info everyone. If the cost of choosing two seats together is £60 ( each way I presume ? )  and this is for economy seats, what would the premium seats cost?

I assumed that if a couple were booked on the cruise then P&O would seat them next to each other. Is this the case or is there a danger of not being seated together?   What would happen if children were aboard?  could they be seated away from their parents? It all sounds like another means of getting extra money from us.  Also, what happens on the seat release date? is there a mad scramble by everyone?

cheers kev

Most airlines charge to select seats these days, and £30 per seat per sector is probably about average. Unlike Ryanair, couples are not deliberately split up, but obviously if 90% of the seats are reserved and paid for, you will only be able to choose from the remaining  10%.  Given the overall cost of the holiday, I would pay the comparatively small cost in order to select seats together, away from the loos,  galley etc.

Premium seating costs will vary, but would probably be in the region of £200  extra, and with every penny!  

2 hours ago, kevboy said:

Thanks for info everyone. If the cost of choosing two seats together is £60 ( each way I presume ? )  and this is for economy seats, what would the premium seats cost?

I assumed that if a couple were booked on the cruise then P&O would seat them next to each other. Is this the case or is there a danger of not being seated together?   What would happen if children were aboard?  could they be seated away from their parents? It all sounds like another means of getting extra money from us.  Also, what happens on the seat release date? is there a mad scramble by everyone?

cheers kev

Chances of sitting together if you don't pay for seats depends a lot on the plane seat config. On a 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 you have more chance of being split than a 2-4-2 as you will be used to fill the ends of the 3 seats. 

They go on sale on the Personaliser at midnight exactly 14 weeks before your flight, and yes some do book at midnight.

Edited by bee-ess

Never really understood why you need to pay to pre book plane seats, especially if you do this yourself on line from a seat plan. Aren't you saving the check in staff time by doing this, and therefore saving the airline money. Surely it should be those not pre booking seats who pay extra.

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Never really understood why you need to pay to pre book plane seats, especially if you do this yourself on line from a seat plan. Aren't you saving the check in staff time by doing this, and therefore saving the airline money. Surely it should be those not pre booking seats who pay extra.

Not sure any check  in staff allocate seats these days. If you do not pay to select seats, you will normally be allocated seats prior to check in.