Struggling with unusual itinerary, and more (RCCL vs NCL)

Suze10860

Hello – sadly, I haven’t been on this forum in about 3 years because (even more sadly!) we’ve not taken a cruise in that long. So not only am I rusty as far as the cruise planning process, I’m actually a bit out of practice with even posting a question here. Please bear with me…

I’m hoping to book something for the week of April 13 (yes, it’s a Spring Break week – my husband and I both work in schools) out of NY/NJ. My two choices seem to be NCL (which we’ve sailed a couple of times before) or RCCL (which we’ve never done.) My first inclination was towards NCL because we really like their “Free at Sea” packages, but after just a tiny bit of reading here, it seems that it’s possible to book RCCL, purchase their beverage package, and have the cost be about the same.  Just an FYI: The main reason we like the package deals is because I really like to know what I’m spending in advance. I’m not a really big drinker, but still don’t want to worry about what every single drink I order is going to add to our final tab!

I had one specific question:

Has anyone ever done the RCCL itinerary out of NJ that does Bermuda and then Boston and then back to NJ? Seems a little strange to me, but does anyone have an opinion? If I were going strictly by itinerary, I’d probably stick with NCL (Florida and Caribbean) because in April it will be warmer. 

Basically, the price I get on RCCL (Anthem of the Seas – Balcony room) was just about $2,200. If I add on the best beverage package, it would add about $1,000 – bringing the total to $3,200.

For NCL (Getaway – with all 4 of the “Free at Seas” deals added – Balcony room) was about $3,800.

Now, I realize I might be comparing apples to oranges here, but I’m just trying to see if others have opinions on things I might not be taking into consideration. I assume both ships will be pretty crowded and that there will probably be lots of kids on both. For us, the best part of cruising is actually doing nothing - having no responsibility, nothing we need to commit to, never needing to touch our wallets, stretching out on a lounge chair and RELAXING. That's what I'm looking for.

Also, I’m not sure how long that RCCL price is even going to be good for – it might be part of some sale that ends tomorrow. My current thinking is to put off the actual booking as late as possible to see if we can get a last minute deal. But then again, I’m also keeping in mind since it IS a Spring Break week, there might not be deals to be had if I wait too long. I’m sort of winging this much more than I normally do as far as my vacation planning…

Does anyone have anything they can share with me, or is my question too broad and/or difficult?  Thanks.

All I can really help with is we did Bermuda in April,  not sure if it was the time of year or just our luck but the entire cruise the weather was awful until the day we got home! It was very very windy,  raining, and chilly.  Bermuda was at least warmer and not as much rain but the wind was brutal, hard to see with the dirt flying around.  I think most of the water excursions were canceled and the water ferries ended up shutting down so we could only use the buses. The cruise itself was also quite the ride due to the wind! Not a problem for us but many others were sick.  Outside decks were closed pretty much the entire time we were at sea. 

We have never been on NCL but I have noticed when I've looked the "free at sea" stuff ends up still being expensive when you add the service fees.  The Bermuda cruise was on royal but it was 7 years ago on the explorer of the seas and the only one we've done with them,  all the other ones have been on carnival.

Thank you for that...it does help. The weather in Bermuda in April is a iffy so heading further south to the Caribbean is a consideration.

And then add in the fact that I'm really not crazy about that Boston part of the itinerary. No disrespect to Boston - I love it there and can't even count how many times we've gone.. But it's not cruise material to me when at least part of my goal is to go South.

I spent quite a bit of time last night reading on these forums, including my own very detailed review of my last NCL cruise in April of 2016. It reminded me of the pros and cons of sailing on this exact same cruise 3 years ago.  I also found my actual confirmation for that cruise. I spent $3,271 (before tips) for our mini-suite cabin. (The cabin itself was rated an A+++ by me. I loved it!) To get the exact same type of cabin now the cost would be $4,024.  Hmmmmmm...that's giving me pause for thought. It's a 25% increase in 3 years.

My thought right now is that the entire idea might not work out unless I can get some sort of really good deal by waiting until the last minute to book.

I'll keep investigating. Thanks again

Edited by Suze10860

I would not prefer Bermuda that early in the season as IMO the weather is not attractive enough there at that time of year.  I could also pass on Boston.  Nice city but not somewhere I would want to spend my cruise dollars on as a port of call.

I would also be cautious of expecting a good last minute deal with either cruise line.  No guarantees of better pricing and certainly the likelihood of limited stateroom and category selections.  Prices can also increase after final payment.  If it were me I would decide on which itinerary and cruise line I prefer and if the pricing looks attractive at the time, I would book it.  You can always benefit from any potential price reductions prior to final payment.

If you have concerns for how much you would use a given perk, I would also check with NCL on what the pricing is if you opt out of the "free" perks to see if there is a significant enough differential to perhaps add those things a la carte, as there is a value for each calculated into the inclusive fare.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

My experience with a Bermuda cruise was similar to what @horsegal had, except the weather in Bermuda was mostly pleasant.  Same ship, same time of year (April), but it was 5 years ago.  On the at-sea days, it was so rough at times that they placed "airsick" bags in the stairwells (not trying at all to deter you, just relaying this particular experience).

My feeling on Boston - I think they were trying to make it a 7-day cruise (my Bermuda cruise was only a 5-day), Boston is an easy add as it's not far from NY and adding almost any port in the Caribbean is going to add too much distance.

• Like 1

Right now is probably the time to buy.  You are within the full payment  I find the bargains usually are around the 60 days out before sailing.  If you wait longer, the prices may go up. I would suggest you forget the drink packages.  You will end up paying less.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.

After checking how much the exact same NCL cruise was 3 years ago, and realizing it's a 25% increase, I'm definitely questing the entire idea. Maybe it's just not in the cards for us right now.

In re-reading my 2016 very detailed review of that cruise, it's obvious that I felt the experience was definitely worth what it cost us - especially because I LOVED that mini-suite so much. Now, 3 years later, I'm equally sure that for me, t's NOT worth a 25% increase in price. We have the ability to pull off a last minute booking, so if it works out at a cheaper price, that would be great. If not, maybe we'll have to put off the idea of cruising until we actually retire from our school jobs and have more flexibility in time of year.

“Free at Sea” is stuff you have already paid for, and then get nicked an extra 18% “tip” on drinks.  Of course you want to do the arithmetic carefully to have apples to apples comparison as far as cost is concerned.  Then, however, the included meals on NCL vs Royal Caribbean also should be compared:  in my experience the MDR meals are more comparable on a turnips to apples basis.  So, if you are at all interested in food quality, you might want to crank in specialty dining on NCL.

That early in the season Bermuda will likely have cool water.  We sailed the very late April - loved the cruise but the water was very cool, too cool for us to swim.  But there was less humidity than during the summer so that was good for me.  The day in Boston was fun - we walked everywhere.  Again the day was cool enough to need a sweater, not a problem just be aware.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, Suze10860 said:

Hello – sadly, I haven’t been on this forum in about 3 years because (even more sadly!) we’ve not taken a cruise in that long. So not only am I rusty as far as the cruise planning process, I’m actually a bit out of practice with even posting a question here. Please bear with me…

snip

Just an FYI: The main reason we like the package deals is because I really like to know what I’m spending in advance. I’m not a really big drinker, but still don’t want to worry about what every single drink I order is going to add to our final tab!

snip

Does anyone have anything they can share with me, or is my question too broad and/or difficult?  Thanks.

Welcome back to cruising 🙂 

Here is what I suggest for a light/moderate drinker that doesn't want a bill at the end but doesn't justify the package:  Estimate how much you think you will drink and load your account with that amount of cash.  Example:  drinks package would cost $1000 extra for a cruise (making numbers up) - either direct cost or increased fare to cover included, but you expect to only spend $500 on drinks; place $500 cash on your account when you board, order whatever drinks you want, and get any left-over monies refunded at the end of the cruise.  No final tab, no drinking "just to get the package value," and less overall cost.