Costa Maya

Tootsiepop6

On 2/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, it's a rather long walk to the port area, and then a long walk through the port area. You can cut through a store Pan Dulce across from the flamingos to ge to the taxi faster. Taxis are the same price pp  as the open air buggy pulled by a tractor, but are so much faster and more pleasant.

Related image

Image result for pan dulce costa maya

you can see how long the walk is. There was no transportation from ship to port in December, due to construction.

Great pics, thanks for the info.  Unfortunately my sister just wouldn't be able to do that walk without resting quite a few times.

We had a short stop 7 to 2 as our last port of call.  Chose to stay in the port area.  Paid $12 each to go up to the aviary area.  We spent about 1.5 hours feeding sunflower seeds to different birds including some beautiful large parrots.  So if you do beach days in the other ports, that could be an option.

darn it! maya chan is all booked up for April 10 when I'll be in Costa Maya. My bad for taking my time- but wanted to thoroughly research stuff. So now I'll look into other options you all have mentioned. I'm not one for just lounging on a chair all day- want to do something like snorkeling, have yummy food, get a massage etc. Not interested in seeing ruins. I wish NCL had more options they offered. such slim pickings for costa maya.

What is this aviary "happy cruzer" mentioned? I haven't heard of that before. Sounds neat.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mim Lloyd said:

Thanks for the info about the walk from the ship.  I'd be grateful if you could post whether or not there's a shuttle for disabled people available when you get back. Thanks both!

I would also appreciate that information too! Thank you

Just now, ranchette said:

There is a shuttle that runs the length of the pier.  Yes.  You would still need to walk through the port area which is lengthy.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, teesmc said:

A cool thing we did in Costa Maya was rent a golf cart for 4 and drive down the beach/coast.  We ate lunch at a restaurant on the water in bathing suits.  It was fun and inexpensive compared to other excursions.

We did that as well and really enjoyed our day.  The weather as cool and windy so we didn't get in the water, but the golf cart to explore with and the ability to stop and hang out on the beach was cool.  There are vendors that stop by and they weren't pushy, and the prices were very negotiable.  Much lower than in the port area.

On 2/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, richstowe said:

We have booked Jamie's Blue Reef . It has excellent TripAdvisor reviews especially for the food .

http://www.jaimesbluereef.com/ 

It was mentioned on our roll call . At least 16 people have signed up for it .

I'll let you know how it was a couple of weeks from now . 

Jaime's was fine . The food and drink were very good as was the service . The setting itself was just OK . The area is chockablock with bars , touristy stores and hundreds of aggressive hawkers . Jaime's staff did little to discourage them from coming to your lounge . Their change rooms were the toilets which were not so clean . Finally although the food was good , I had to be assertive to get some fresh fruit , going to the manager after the waiters said no . Also there are no desserts at all . 

I was not disappointed but would likely check out somewhere else next time . 

just my 2 cents: we don't like all inclusive, we don't eat and we usually don't drink at ports either. So, we went to Blue Kay in December, paid $10 per adult (the kid wasn't charged) which included a chase in the shade and any 2 drinks. It was not luxurious, but it was lovely and rustic, and we enjoyed ourselves. We are going there in 3 weeks again.

Wifi was free (ask your waiter for the password) and was strong right next to their cafe/bar.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just my 2 cents: we don't like all inclusive, we don't eat and we usually don't drink at ports either. So, we went to Blue Kay in December, paid $10 per adult (the kid wasn't charged) which included a chase in the shade and any 2 drinks. It was not luxurious, but it was lovely and rustic, and we enjoyed ourselves. We are going there in 3 weeks again.

Wifi was free (ask your waiter for the password) and was strong right next to their cafe/bar.

To each his own

On 2/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mim Lloyd said:

Thanks for the info about the walk from the ship.  I'd be grateful if you could post whether or not there's a shuttle for disabled people available when you get back. Thanks both!

On 3/5/2019 at 12:17 PM, Tootsiepop6 said:

darn it! maya chan is all booked up for April 10 when I'll be in Costa Maya. My bad for taking my time- but wanted to thoroughly research stuff. So now I'll look into other options you all have mentioned. I'm not one for just lounging on a chair all day- want to do something like snorkeling, have yummy food, get a massage etc. Not interested in seeing ruins. I wish NCL had more options they offered. such slim pickings for costa maya.

What is this aviary "happy cruzer" mentioned? I haven't heard of that before. Sounds neat.

I would rent a golf cart and go to the village, there are all kinds of restaurants and bars and you can get a beach massage.  Not expensive and we enjoyed it.  There are vendors that will come by, but we just no thanks and they moved on.