Photo package for a group

Nashna

We are a family group of 19.  I'm sure we are going to want photos that include the entire group as well as lots of candid photos of individuals.  How would a photo package work with a group?   

Edited by Nashna
spelling

29 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We are a family group of 19.  I'm sure we are going to want photos that include the entire group as well as lots of candid photos of individuals.  How would a photo package work with a group?   

When you purchase a photo package, it's for all guests in one stateroom, plus any minor children of those guests in other staterooms.  So any photo that contains any one (or more) of these guests is included.

If one person gets the package then you will get the photos of everyone in that csbin as well as group photos that include people from that cabin.

solo pictures of others in your group that are not in your cabin are not included.

you can but additional packages for other cabins at 50% off.

31 minutes ago, Nashna said:

The buyer needs to be in every picture. My understanding is that facial recognition is how the pictures are sorted.  I believe it matches to your set sail pass photo. 

My understanding of this must have been wrong.  I thought if a photo contained even 1 other person that wasn't in the stateroom with a photo package then it would be excluded.  Seems like I've read of others having this issue.  For example, a group containing 6 people traveling in 2 separate staterooms. Stateroom A buys a photo package and stateroom B does not buy a photo package.  If someone from stateroom B photobombs a picture of the guests in stateroom A, then they will exclude that picture?  Of course they want both staterooms to purchase a photo package.  The photo package is a good deal if your into pictures.  My wife loves pictures and she has paid a lot more to have a photographer come out to the house and take family photos. She will seek out the photographers on the ship and take as many photos as possible.  Drives me and the kids crazy but she loves it.  Halfway through a cruise the photographers recognize us and I can see the look of exhaustion on their face.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2019 at 7:50 AM, Host Clarea said:

When you purchase a photo package, it's for all guests in one stateroom, plus any minor children of those guests in other staterooms.  So any photo that contains any one (or more) of these guests is included.

Okay so we are a family of 6.  My oldest (19yo) will be in the cabin with her 3 siblings (14yo,8yo,5yo); my wife and I will be in our own.  So based on what I've read, if I purchased the package the only way to include my oldest would be to either purchase an additional package for her, or just always make sure she's in a picture with either of the rest of us?

Just now, Mr. Candyman said:

Okay so we are a family of 6.  My oldest (19yo) will be in the cabin with her 3 siblings (14yo,8yo,5yo); my wife and I will be in our own.  So based on what I've read, if I purchased the package the only way to include my oldest would be to either purchase an additional package for her, or just always make sure she's in a picture with either of the rest of us?

Correct. 

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Correct. 

Here's a thought....not sure how switching rooms works but what if we re-assigned her to our stateroom before we embark but just gave her one of the spare keys that we intended to get for their room anyway?

33 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Here's a thought....not sure how switching rooms works but what if we re-assigned her to our stateroom before we embark but just gave her one of the spare keys that we intended to get for their room anyway?

That would probably cos5 you a fair bit of money any make you change cabins.  Currently you and your wife are most likely in a cabin that can only hold 2 guests.  To add your daughter you would have to move to a cabin that held 3 that would be priced at current rates.  Then the cabin with your kids would not be beside yours so you could have to move their cabin.....cheaper just to buy a second photo package..

While you are correct about your 19yo, I would encourage you to ask about adding any solo photos in. Presumably there are not many and in the past we have been told there is a facial recognition override.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That would probably cos5 you a fair bit of money any make you change cabins.  Currently you and your wife are most likely in a cabin that can only hold 2 guests.  To add your daughter you would have to move to a cabin that held 3 that would be priced at current rates.  Then the cabin with your kids would not be beside yours so you could have to move their cabin.....cheaper just to buy a second photo package..

Both cabins are directly across the hall from each other.  We have an outside balcony and the kids have an inside promenade on Deck 7 midship.

1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

While you are correct about your 19yo, I would encourage you to ask about adding any solo photos in. Presumably there are not many and in the past we have been told there is a facial recognition override.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks....My oldest is not a social butterfly so I anticipate her being around us almost the entire cruise.  I was just looking at all options so that I don't have to figure it out once onboard. We normally opt out of buying any photos but since all of us would be crusing, and possibly be photoed at any time, I figured that would be easier way to capture random moments of all of us.

Not always the case.

We were on a cruise in December (Oasis) and were a family of 6 that were in 3 different cabins. I had the photo pkg. and we were in all of the photos that were taken (almost 150).

I understand that a lot of it has to do with who is in the "Original" photo that is taken when you first embark the ship while still at the terminal (you know the ones showing a picture of the ship, etc...) This is because they use facial recognition software to sort all of the photos that they take. If your family members are all in that photo, then most if not all photos may show up in the folio of the main person who purchased the photo pkg.

I can't say that as a fact. However, that is what we experienced..

We recently came back from a cruise on the Serenade. Whatever you do, buy the package before you get on the ship. It was our 30th anniversary cruise and I surprised the wife with the all you can take package. It cost me $199.99 online and was advertised at $250.00 on the ship. On the second day we went to look at our sail away photos. My wife saw the ad for the all you can take pictures for $250.00 and wanted it for our anniversary but I surprised her and told her that I had already purchased it but for $50.00 less. Just one of the many surprises I had planned for her on that cruise..

Every day that we were in port we took many gang way photos and every night we sought out the photographers with the different backgrounds. Almost every day they sort us out in the dinning room and at the parties. We came home with over 200 pictures that will decorate our walls and make for a memorable scrapbook. That's less than $1.00 per photo.

However, after taking many of the same poses, we played with the photographers a bit. We started taking fun pictures where the wife was yelling and I covered my ears and vice versa. We took pictures where we were pretending to choke each other. We took pictures on our anniversary where I got down on one knee and proposed to my wife. She did the same to me in the next picture. We took pictures with a bottle of champagne and we even took a picture holding our wedding photo from 30 years ago. The photographers loved us and even referred to us as "the fun ones".

It was actually one of the high points of the cruise.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I'm pretty certain it did...Is there an easier way of finding out without doing a mock booking?

Ship and cabin number. Look on the deck plans if there is a symbol in the cabin such as a star, cross or triangle it will hold more than 2. No symbol and it only holds 2

you could also look into a private sitting.  one cruise there was a VERY large  family..easily 40-50 people who were all dressed in red and getting a bunch of  group photos taken in  the main spaces.  they were having  a blast and the photographer was very creative in setting it up and positioning himself to get everyone in the shot.  he easily took a dozen different pics.  

1 hour ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Not always the case.

We were on a cruise in December (Oasis) and were a family of 6 that were in 3 different cabins. I had the photo pkg. and we were in all of the photos that were taken (almost 150).

I understand that a lot of it has to do with who is in the "Original" photo that is taken when you first embark the ship while still at the terminal (you know the ones showing a picture of the ship, etc...) This is because they use facial recognition software to sort all of the photos that they take. If your family members are all in that photo, then most if not all photos may show up in the folio of the main person who purchased the photo pkg.

I can't say that as a fact. However, that is what we experienced..

That makes sense and is good info, thanks!  When travelling with family we have separate cabins but usually always take that first photo together so I'll make sure we do if we order the photo package.

29 minutes ago, spookwife said:

you could also look into a private sitting.  one cruise there was a VERY large  family..easily 40-50 people who were all dressed in red and getting a bunch of  group photos taken in  the main spaces.  they were having  a blast and the photographer was very creative in setting it up and positioning himself to get everyone in the shot.  he easily took a dozen different pics.  

Ohhh, even better, good idea!

12 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Ohhh, even better, good idea!

Just remember that any type of "Private sitting" for photos will cost extra above and beyond the cost of the photo package. Not sure of the current cost for this. I know it used to $75.00 and then you purchase the photos...

23 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ship and cabin number. Look on the deck plans if there is a symbol in the cabin such as a star, cross or triangle it will hold more than 2. No symbol and it only holds 2

Nope, no symbols....guess that won't be an option.

10 hours ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Just remember that any type of "Private sitting" for photos will cost extra above and beyond the cost of the photo package. Not sure of the current cost for this. I know it used to $75.00 and then you purchase the photos...

I figure if we aimed to do the private sitting I'd skip the package so we'd be one and done with family photos and not need to hit every prop set-up as I know that can get time consuming.  It will be a couple years until I'm taking a whole family crew with significant others and knowing Royal it may all be changed by then or cost prohibitive 🙂