Amsterdam to Basel on Uniworld’s S S Antoinette

travelnut4

We are doing this Rhine cruise in late June (can’t wait!!) and I was wondering what time we are to check in with Uniworld on Day 1. I believe it departs Amsterdam at 1600 but not sure. We will be in Amsterdam a couple of days prior on our own, and I am trying to plan our time there. I already have a canal tour, Ann Frank house, a guided city tour, and the Rijksmuseum on my list. Just trying to figure out now the placement of those puzzle pieces! Anything else you all recommend for our time in Amsterdam? We also are planning a Lucerne couple of days at the end! Advice welcome there too! I am leaning towards the Golden Round Trip tour of Mount Pilatus and Lake Lucerne.

Edited by travelnut4
Additional info

You can check in pretty much anytime. They will be happy to take your bags and store them while you go on with your day. We've even seen "new passengers" take advantage of breakfast on our departure morning!

We did the opposite direction, so left from Amsterdam without seeing any of the city. We did do 2 nights pre-cruise in Lucerne, stayed at the Hotel des Balances on the river, and did Pilatus on our own. Because it was late March, we were only able to do the tram up and down, but the scenery was breathtaking. 

Robin

We also did this cruise in the reverse direction, but the ship arrives at Amsterdam early in the morning so I'd assume that you could drop off your luggage as early as you want. We only had a half-day after the cruise before flying home so we just walked the city. Plenty to see. The ship docked a few minutes from Centraal Station, so it was convenient to trams, trains, etc.

We were back in Amsterdam last year on Silversea, and we had one evening and most of the next day, so we knocked a few other things off the list. We ended up doing a fair amount, though we did not get to the Rijksmuseum. Another time. 

We did see the Anne Frank House last year, which is a moving experience. Make sure you go online and get your tickets 2 months before your desired visit day. We did, and had no problems getting the time we wanted. We got the earliest tickets (9AM) so we were in the first wave. It's still crowded.

Lucerne is beautiful and I'm glad you're going there. We visited as part of a larger independent land-based trip a few years ago. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel near the train station and spent a few hours walking around town taking in the major sights, which you can do fairly quickly as it's compact. The lion is a little bit out of the town center but we found it an easy walk and worth seeing.

We actually went up Mt. Pilatus as part of yet another different visit to the area, but it's definitely worth the trip if the weather is cooperating. Mt. Titlis, further out of town (you need to drive or take a bus) is another option. Very different experiences and scenery. Do both if you can.

I would add the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam to your list.  It's much smaller than the Rijks, so if you're pushed for time it would be a better bet.  Or get the Rick Steves book and follow his guide through the highlights of the Rijks rather than getting lost in all the so-so works.

In Lucerne, the Lion [which is kind of on the outskirts IIRC] is absolutely worth the visit.  Walking around the old town is an obvious choice.  And I recommend the golden tour of Pilatus that's in your plans:  I think it's better to go up via the cog railway, because the gondola views are better going down.

In Amsterdam, Rembrandt House museum was very interesting about his life. There are no Rembrandt paintings, only drawings and etchings, as well as paintings by others, but it is reconstructed to look like it did when Rembrandt lived there.

6 hours ago, travelnut4 said:

Anything else you all recommend for our time in Amsterdam?

We really enjoyed the Reypenaer Cheese tasting. It's € 17.50. You taste 6 cheeses and have wines and port to match up with each cheese. When we did it it included a discount on any cheese that you bought in the shop. Not sure if they still offer the discount, but it's worthwhile without it.

https://www.reypenaercheese.com/en/tasting-room/cheese-tasting

I forgot one thing in my earlier response. I'll consider adding an Indonesian rice table to you Amsterdam trip. We like to visit Indrapura the first evening we're there. We're usually tired and ready for an early bed time. Indrapura is a good choice for that evening since they offer a 25% discount if you're finished by 8:00.

https://www.indrapura.nl/en/

13 hours ago, FuelScience said:

I forgot one thing in my earlier response. I'll consider adding an Indonesian rice table to you Amsterdam trip. We like to visit Indrapura the first evening we're there. We're usually tired and ready for an early bed time. Indrapura is a good choice for that evening since they offer a 25% discount if you're finished by 8:00.

https://www.indrapura.nl/en/

I did this in Amsterdam (at a different restaurant) and highly recommend it.  A nice evening activity.  I love Indonesian food.

Roz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...