Upgrade Question

junglecat

I'm trying to help my DD and future SIL with their honeymoon cruise.  I know enough to be dangerous so please bear with me.  They have an inside cabin that is already paid off.  THey don't sail until September 23rd.  They just got an email indicating they can upgrade to a balcony for $240.00.  Is that $240.00 pp or total?  Does anyone know how that works?  Can they still pick their room? Any and all suggestions are welcome! 

I received an upgrade offer email last month and the prices were total not per person. Once you call the number on the email you’ll be able to pick your own cabin. On the offer it should say what decks are included in the offer. Look on line at those decks for available cabins and have cabin numbers in mind that they can request if they call to accept the upgrade.

Before they call on the email do a mock booking and see how much it would be to book a balcony cabin on the decks the offer mentioned and see what the difference is from what they paid to what they would pay if they booked the balcony. This number will let you know if the $240 is a good deal or not. In my offer the upgrade from cove to regular balcony was a good deal but the spa cabin upgrade in the offer was only $1 difference if I booked myself.

Good luck to them!

• Like 1

You should make sure the balcony cabin is  a good change. I got a phone call to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for $200 and i took it.  

Boy was that a mistake. I should have stayed with my inside room because the balcony cabin had smaller floor space and cramped because of the two pull down beds that we weren’t even using. It  didn’t even have a couch.   

12 hours ago, audcc77 said:

You should make sure the balcony cabin is  a good change.

I got a phone call to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for $200

- and I took it.  

Boy was that a mistake.

I should have stayed with my inside room

because the balcony cabin had smaller floor space and cramped 

because of the two pull down beds that we weren’t even using. 

It  didn’t even have a couch.   

Which is why I prefer an Ocean View cabin on a lower deck!

A nicer ride (for starters) - plus that balcony area is included in the cabin!

6 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Really?  I don’t think I have had one of those.   Which ship has a nice one?

21 hours ago, junglecat said:

I'm trying to help my DD and future SIL with their honeymoon cruise.  I know enough to be dangerous so please bear with me.  They have an inside cabin that is already paid off.  THey don't sail until September 23rd.  They just got an email indicating they can upgrade to a balcony for $240.00.  Is that $240.00 pp or total?  Does anyone know how that works?  Can they still pick their room? Any and all suggestions are welcome! 

Its total for the room.   I just did one a month ago.    I got to pick the room I wanted when I chose the upgrade.    I was very happy with our upgrade and our new room choice.

I recently received a call from the Carnival upgrade fairy and the price was in total, not per person from an inside to a balcony. I suggest having the deck plans available so you know where the balcony room is....the first balcony room they offered was right next to the stairs and elevators and I knew hubby (a light sleeper anyway) would be unhappy. I asked if there were any others in a quieter part of the boat and there was! I am very, very happy!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that they took the upgrade.  It was indeed $240 total for each of them.  She was able to look at deck plans and selected a room.  They don't sail until September, so the $240 isn't due until July!  She's one happy bride to be as she's also not telling him so it will be a surprise once they board the ship!  

THANK YOU to everyone who replied.  

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 4:03 AM, Aplmac said:

Which is it, balcony or ocean view?

On 2/23/2019 at 6:03 AM, Aplmac said:

Huh?  The OV cabin is no bigger than the balcony.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, audcc77 said:

Boy was that a mistake. I should have stayed with my inside room because the balcony cabin had smaller floor space and cramped because of the two pull down beds that we weren’t even using. It  didn’t even have a couch.   

What Carnival ship has a couch in the inside rooms which does not exist in the balconies?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Balcony area gets included IN the Ocean View cabin.

Same quoted square footage, I suspect?

except your balcony is outside the actual cabin area

You stick with your much-vaunted Balcony cabins.
I'll stick with my Ocean Views on lower decks -and we'll meet on Lido!

IF it is their 1st cruise, they should stick to an interior room, amidships.

Balconies are great, but once you go to a balcony, IMO and experience, it is almost impossible to go back again.
We did interior on our honeymoon...  we never noticed.  We were otherwise occupied either in or out of the room.

Second cruise, we jumped to a balcony on the SPA deck....  We will never go back!

Put that $240 on their sail and sign account.... they will need it!!  🙂

55 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Balcony area gets included IN the Ocean View cabin.

Same quoted square footage, I suspect?

except your balcony is outside the actual cabin area

You stick with your much-vaunted Balcony cabins.
I'll stick with my Ocean Views on lower decks -and we'll meet on Lido!

That totally depends on the ship class.  On some the OV includes a couch and is slightly bigger, on others they are the same size as an inside.

Edited by ray98

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

What Carnival ship has a couch in the inside rooms which does not exist in the balconies?

I don’t think any interior cabins have couches.  I am fine with that. 

What  I was not fine with was paying for an upgrade to a balcony room that did not have a couch and the walking around area was smaller than my interior cabin. 

That is to be expected on a fantasy class ship which had balconies added I guess. 

I was  not aware of that but I am now. 

Won’t get a balcony on a fantasy class ship. Not worth it.  

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

That totally depends on the ship class. 

On some the OV includes a couch, on others they are the same size as an inside.

Very likely.

Carnival ships I've been on:

Destiny, Victory, Valor, Glory, Liberty

nothing smaller/earlier - and nothing larger and more recent

On 3/8/2019 at 3:22 PM, ray98 said:

I believe they mean the area that is the balcony in a balcony room enlarges the cabin in an ocean view, so the cabin is larger in the OV room than the balcony room.

Edited by FirstTimeCruiserSunrise

Just got upsell email yesterday--$70 total to upgrade from Cove to Vista Deck balcony on the Magic.  The cabin shown was directly below the Lido pool deck--no way, no how!  But I discovered that you can change the deck and location on the website and got the same deal on forward Vista Deck balcony with cabins above and below.

Love, Love the cove, but took the upgrade since DH and DD will have spa passes and this cabin will be super convenient for them.  

I did a mock booking and it would have been $250 more total to upgrade, and the rate I was looking at did not have the $50 OBC.  So I think I did ok :classic_smile: