How Often Do You Cruise?

SLSD

This is a light and fluffy topic, meant to just have a discussion on various offshoots of the stated topic.  But--how often do you cruise?  My husband and I (since his retirement) are averaging a cruise every 10 or 11 months.  We're happy with that pace.  I don't want to be like one of my friends who no longer finds cruising "special".  She has been on many cruises (mostly on Silversea).  And, a secondary question is this---Would you cruise even more often if cost was not an issue?   Or, do you think taking 2 or more cruises a year would dilute your enjoyment?  And finally, do you cruise a lot now because you know that at some

point, you will not be able to.  We have lost four friends in the last month or so and are very aware of our mortality.  We're only 66 and 67 (at the moment) but aware that we will not be able to navigate foreign airports forever.  

Edited by SLSD

I am so envious singinalot!  Have you tried a Seabourn cruise yet?  I see Carnival in RCCL in your signature.  Just wondering if you have sailed SB and what you saw as the difference.  Before my husband retired, we were unable to make long term plans because of pesky court dates that were unpredictable.  What length of cruise do you prefer?  We like at least 20 days. 

Edited by SLSD

Cost isn't the issue, available leisure time is the issue. 

We are currently averaging one 14 night cruise a year, although when we started cruising it was more frequent than that. I was also able to get away to travel solo back then also.

In 2018 our SB cruise was our main holiday, we had a few days away throughout the year but we made a decision about 3 years ago to bring our retirement date forward. Therefore we are working longer hours currently.

We cruise approximately once a year and in the last few years we have done 21 or 22 day cruises.   My husband still works and we book far in advance so he can block off  the time on his calendar.  We also generally go to our embarkation several days early so that extends the length of time we're away.  We also book early because we like specific cabins and want to make sure we get one of those.  Even if he were not working I doubt that we would cruise more often because while we enjoy it, we're always happy to get home.  We live in a lovely place and enjoy just being here.  Our first cruise was way back in 1983 and cruising has certainly changed since then!

Isklaar, I applaud you moving retirement forward!  Good move!  I know some enjoy working until they can't, but retirement can be busy and fulfilling as well.  

My husband and are undecided as to whether we would like to cruise more often than we are currently doing.  He thinks our next cruise (Kobe to Vancouver 23 days) will inform us on that issue.  We are taking this cruise not necessarily for the itinerary but because we enjoy cruising on SB.  It has many more sea days than we have experienced on prior cruises.  We think we are going to like it, but we'll have to report back on that.  

Sunviking, I think blocking off time way in advance is key when a person is still working. We also love where we live (Dallas) and our farm 85 miles away.  I think it was our farm which saved us for leisure time enjoyment in the years my husband's career was very intense in terms of time and energy.  

A side story is that we probably would have NEVER taken a cruise (ever) if friends had not asked us to accompany them on a Silversea cruise about 14 years ago.  We had such a good time.  But, even so, did not cruise again until about 2 years ago.  We do love the luxury of taking any cruise we want--and not worrying about work issues.  

Like you, we fly out a few days early and enjoy a location close to the port prior to embarkation.  

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

This is a light and fluffy topic, meant to just have a discussion on various offshoots of the stated topic.  But--how often do you cruise?  My husband and I (since his retirement) are averaging a cruise every 10 or 11 months.  We're happy with that pace.  I don't want to be like one of my friends who no longer finds cruising "special".  She has been on many cruises (mostly on Silversea).  And, a secondary question is this---Would you cruise even more often if cost was not an issue?   Or, do you think taking 2 or more cruises a year would dilute your enjoyment?  And finally, do you cruise a lot now because you know that at some

point, you will not be able to.  We have lost four friends in the last month or so and are very aware of our mortality.  We're only 66 and 67 (at the moment) but aware that we will not be able to navigate foreign airports forever.  

Great topic.  Yes, if cost was never an issue, we would cruise more.  Our pace has been about like yours, once or twice a year, 18 days the longest yet.  We both love the sea and shipboard life.

So we've decided that, before it's too late, we're going to do a world cruise.  We chose Regent because we like the ship and their product, and the itinerary is the right length and is affordable (for us).  But because cost *is* an issue, we won't be cruising again until then, a drought from October 2018 to January 2021.   Our last cruise was our first Seabourn, which we loved, btw.

As we get older, long international flights, schlepping around connecting airports, plus jetlag is becoming a deterrent as well.  We stepped up to Premium Economy flights and now Business, but still, it's hard.  Even insurance coverage has become tough.  With the WC, we start in Miami, then just fly back from Barcelona, which we can certainly still do (at least I hope so, it is two years from now!)

Fun question.  For DW and moi it is 70-110 days a year.  One minor problem is that we have been cruising for over forty years and done most itineraries/ports numerous times.  While we obviously love cruising, we also love land time.   Just flying or cruising to someplace in Europe and renting a car for a few days or weeks can be very satisfying.  

We are also changing some of our cruising habits as a reaction numerous cut-backs in quality we have encountered on several or our favorite lines.  In fact, this is what has driven us to book with Seabourn and other higher end options.  

Hank

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

Isklaar, I applaud you moving retirement forward!  Good move!  I know some enjoy working until they can't, but retirement can be busy and fulfilling as well.  

Taking earlier retirement than we had originally planned was a big decision to make, as it did mean that for the time prior to retiring we would both be working longer hours and have far less leisure time than we did even 3 years ago. I'm not sure that either of us will stop working entirely for at least another 10 years but it's good to know that we won't have to work if we don't want to. 

Our ideal cruise length at this stage in our lives is 21 days but it's not been possible to do that since the the end of 2015.  

We usually add at least 2 or 3 days at the beginning and end of a cruise, depending on how long the flight to embark port has been, so 14 days onboard plus pre- and post-cruise days works well for now. After retirement, hopefully in two years' time,  we will take longer cruises.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to do a long South America and Antarctica cruise, and given the distance involved for us in flying to e.g. Buenos Aires or Santiago we would look to spend at least 4 weeks pre/post cruise exploring Argentina and Chile. At the moment this is just a dream though.

I like to take a cruise about once a year.  I've cruised on Carnival, Crystal, Viking, Costa, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean.  I've had just as much fun on cheeper cruises as I have on expensive ones.  I just love the chance to be at sea away from cell phones and other of life's necessary intrusions.  I will be sailing on Seaborne in April.  Every since I was younger, I always wanted to sail this cruise line, but until now, couldn't find one that fit where I wanted to go and when I wanted to go so to speak.  I'm really exited about this trip on the Amazon.  I really can't be away from work more that 2 weeks maximum, so length is a factor, as is cost.  FWIW my favorite cruise was taking Crystal from Boston to Montreal in the fall.  I also loved the "Outlaw Country Cruise" on Norwegian.  

Thanks for bringing up this conversation  

I'm retired and therefore have plenty of time; I have no children, just a cat, so there are no grandchildren I'm anxious to return to. I take about 4 cruises a year, usually about a month, though I just returned from 38 days on Oceania's Marina. I like Regent, Silversea, and especially Seabourn, and will try Viking Ocean in December;  I probably would have more perks onboard if I stayed with one cruise line, but the itinerary is always the deciding factor in my choice. I have taken so many land trips in the US and worldwide, that I now really enjoy unpacking once and revisiting ports I've been to, and hopefully finding new ones. Of course, money is always a consideration, but since I''m now in my 70's, I know I don't have lots of years left to satisfy my curiosity about the great world out there. Don't think I would like a World Cruise, though, probably because I travel solo - should have done that when my husband was alive🙂.

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In fact, this is what has driven us to book with Seabourn and other higher end options.  

Hank

Hank,

it's great to find you here.  Welcome to Seabourn.  I may yet get to meet you.  Looking forward to your comments.

Edited by marazul

Royquapaw, I hope the SB cruise is everything you hope it will be.  It probably will be if you go with reasonable expectations.  I will eagerly await your report.  

Mahogany, I salute you for having fun on your own and being willing to cruise solo.  I'm not sure I would have the courage to do that.  Would you tell us what it is like--what you have found difficult and what has been the most fun.  I am so sorry that your husband is no longer with you. 

fdnycruiser, I think good deals are always an encouragement to cruise.  Our upcoming Kobe to Vancouver cruise of 23 days seemed like a good deal to us.  We could have chosen other more expensive and shorter cruises, but wanted to try something with lots of sea days.  I plan to take my computer on this cruise (first time to do this) and report back in real time.  I'm looking forward to that!

Isklaar, I hope you get to take all the voyages you are thinking about.  And I can attest that not to have working hanging over your head is a bonus.  For years, my husband ended up doing substantial work on our vacations.  I remember one trip to London to visit our son and his then girlfriend (now wife).

My husband had to jump in to an urgent legal matter and spent three of our eight days back at the hotel on the computer and telephone.  We LOVE no longer having to deal with that sort of thing.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

From the point of view of someone less mobile - and DH is too -  I urge those who can still cope with flying, particularly long distances, to do as much as possible while you can if you have the time and the funds.  We are so glad we have seen a lot of the world  in past years now that we are at present restricted to cruising ex UK.  

We still love ships and being at sea, and now really enjoy being looked after by caring staff and crew, and manage 3 cruises a year, but are restricted obviously to the Med., Baltic, Norway and Canaries and similar.  Our chosen UK line picks up from home in a limo and take us back, and includes insurance.  I keep looking at our much loved Seabourn, but there is just one cruise a year ex UK, and the cost when adding in private transport and particularly insurance is horrendous!  Added to the fact that the UK cruise is particularly costly.

So, carpe diem, everyone.  Do your long distance travelling while you are fit - like the Antarctic;  so glad we did it while we could climb in and out of Zodiacs.

• Like 1

Lincslady, Thank you for this reminder.  This is our rationale for cruising at least once a year right now.  I have to admit that I find some of the foreign airport daunting and would not be happy frequenting them as a solo traveler.  

What cruise line is the one you are taking now?  I think I've read about the line that will pick you up at your home in the UK and deliver you to the ship, but I have forgotten the name.  I'm glad you have this option!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Hank,

it's great to find you here.  Welcome to Seabourn.  I may yet get to meet you.  Looking forward to your comments.

It would be fun although I suspect we would sit around and talk for hours about travel in France :).

Hank

Just now, marazul said:

Safe bet!

Which cruise are you taking?  We are doing a lot of land travel this year for a change.

We are booked on the Soujourn in late July (out of Seward).   Are also planning some land time within Italy in the Fall (will rent a car for a few days or longer) before cruising the Med and then home on the Emerald Princess.   DW and I are still debating how much time to spend in Italy before our cruise.  We will likely rent a flat somewhere in Tuscany (currently leaning towards San Gimignano) although we have not finalized any land plans.

Hank

We began cruising upon my retirement in 2009.  My DH still works (an academic, so no big deal, say I, a senior manager).  Due to his work schedule, we tend to cruise in the months of May-June, and the Med is very attractive during these months.  However, I am so much looking forward to a specific itinerary which is usually during February-March (Buenos Aires to Río, or in reverse).  We need not do the Antarctic...we have so much snow and ice in our area!!!  We have sailed SB and SS and love them both.  We find the general ambiance in SB very congenial and fun.  We are trying Crystal next May and I tend to think it will be another favorite.  One or two 9-12 day cruise a year will definitely work for us.

Hank-

There are a lot of good threads on Alaska on this board.  You will love that cruise.  We were on the inaugural SB Alaska cruise a couple of years ago.  It was wonderful and plenty of time to enjoy the ship.  Beware, it's addictive.  

This year, it is a month in Spain and some Mexico.  We are looking at next year's cruises (SB, of course), but no decisions yet.  Probably New Zealand and Oz. 

Happy travels!

Edited by marazul

We have been cruising for about 25 years. Next three cruises are booked and that will put me at 60 cruises. 26 Celebrity cruises but also cruised with all the premium and luxury lines. ( I know how lucky I am ! ) We are retired and we both were in the airline business. 

I have not been to Asia or Australia. I would love to go but DH has been many times for work and is dead against long air flights. We live near Palm Springs California in a resort town. DH is now happy to stay home and golf. 

I love the sea days and really don`t care where we cruise to as long as it is warm and I can enjoy a wee drink on my balcony. 

I did love our Seabourn cruise in Alaska. It was over 100 degrees all summer long at home so the cool air in Alaska was welcomed. Enjoying every minute. Cheers, Heather