Cunardl Alcohol Policy

davidfcdesouza

Hello, we are first time cruisers with Cunard, joining QV in STH on 28APR for a Baltic cruise, and have booked a Penthouse Suite (Queens Grill).  Would someone be able to help with clarifying the following:

a. The Cunard website indicates that paxs may bring, for on-board consumption, one or more (?) bottles of wine (but not spirits), and if consumed in a restaurant there is a USD20/bottle corkage (no problem with that).  I am keen to bring along some fine wines (not found on the Cunard wine list) for the formal nights' dining.  Would we be able to take on board 4-6 bottles of wines for consumption in the restaurants?

b. I understand that the Penthouse suites score a complimentary selection of wines OR spirits for the cabin mini-bar.  Like the more boutique cruise lines, are these replenished upon use, or is the stock meant to last for the duration of the cruise (2 weeks).

c. Has anyone taken advantage of the wine appreciation course, and if so, is it useful or a bit of on-board entertainment for bored paxs?

d. Would someone like to comment generally on the shore excursions in St Petersburg?

Many thanks and regards, David

6 hours ago, davidfcdesouza said:

Hello, we are first time cruisers with Cunard, joining QV in STH on 28APR for a Baltic cruise, and have booked a Penthouse Suite (Queens Grill).  Would someone be able to help with clarifying the following:

a. The Cunard website indicates that paxs may bring, for on-board consumption, one or more (?) bottles of wine (but not spirits), and if consumed in a restaurant there is a USD20/bottle corkage (no problem with that).  I am keen to bring along some fine wines (not found on the Cunard wine list) for the formal nights' dining.  Would we be able to take on board 4-6 bottles of wines for consumption in the restaurants?

b. I understand that the Penthouse suites score a complimentary selection of wines OR spirits for the cabin mini-bar.  Like the more boutique cruise lines, are these replenished upon use, or is the stock meant to last for the duration of the cruise (2 weeks).

c. Has anyone taken advantage of the wine appreciation course, and if so, is it useful or a bit of on-board entertainment for bored paxs?

d. Would someone like to comment generally on the shore excursions in St Petersburg?

C.

A good opportunity to bond and engage with all the MD's and Sommeliers outside the Restaurant formality.  A most enjoyable conversation interlude and to sip.a glass of wine.

MD's and Sommeliers will appreciate you taking time to involve yourself in one of their prestige events.   It  bodes well for the future, if you know what I mean?

It is alleged that sometimes during these events direct E-mail addresses may be exchanged.

D.

All group tours are of the "Whistle Stop" variety.  However, one must take (do not miss) the small private "add on" to the Group tour with a visit to the "Gold Room" which is followed by a visit to the Egyptian Room.  This small tour to the Gol Room is worth the price of the whole group tour.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

On our once only experience in a Queens Grill suite  on QE we had 2 bottles of spirits 1x Famous Grouse Whisky and 1x Smirnoff vodka. When asked if there was any brandy available as there was none on the list was told no. Also when we had drunk the bottle of Famous Grouse/Smirnoff they were not replaced. Perhaps this is down to good/bad butler or just a one off experience or depends how higher grade QG you are in the better you get treated. As it was our only experience we had nothing to compare it with and will perhaps never have the option in future because for the difference thing PG is far better value especially as us we didnt use the butler and didnt know what to ask him to do.

11 hours ago, davidfcdesouza said:

You can ask for alternatives to the beverages (beers, mixers, soft drinks) provided in your minibar and these will be replenished daily. You are provided with an order form with various brands of spirits for the two free bottles but you can write in whatever you want and you'll probably get it, e.g. alternate spirits brands, sherry, Pimms, wine. You can ask your butler for an order form when you need replenishment, or if you're not drinking quickly enough you might find a hint to speed up in the form of an order form. We ended up with an unopened bottle of gin to take home because our butler didn't want us to run dry.

a.  Many thanks to all of you travellers who have so kindly taken the time to respond to my query.  Based on these, and on the current wine list from Cunard, I have decided to take a selection of my cellared wines on this trip, and if only to use when dining on formal nights (there's a limit to how many bottles we are prepared to carry out of Australia!!)

b.  Copied comments regarding the butler......some things at sea never change!!

c.  PORT ROYAL, comments noted with thanks.

d.  Thank you kentchris, E1151, majortom, xLHR, Wiltonian.

14 hours ago, davidfcdesouza said:

a.  Many thanks to all of you travellers who have so kindly taken the time to respond to my query.  Based on these, and on the current wine list from Cunard, I have decided to take a selection of my cellared wines on this trip, and if only to use when dining on formal nights (there's a limit to how many bottles we are prepared to carry out of Australia!!)

b.  Copied comments regarding the butler......some things at sea never change!!

c.  PORT ROYAL, comments noted with thanks.

d.  Thank you kentchris, E1151, majortom, xLHR, Wiltonian.

If you wish to increase your selection of wines as a carry on, then have a look at:

https://www.ahadleigh-wine.com/

Have a good selection of top end wines.

They deliver to Hotels.  We have used them ourselves.

Ask about any potential tax free purchases.

Have a fabulous cruise.  

15 hours ago, davidfcdesouza said:

majortom, noted yr comments re butler......I have always found them superfluous to requirements and just adds to the layers of staff one has to deal with.  However, I'm still looking forward to this trip with or without the butler

Your butler can be quite a useful addition.

For example, you might want to host a cocktail party, and your butler will arrange snacks and nibbles, provide extra beers and mixers, set out extra chairs if required, or an extra table. The butler will even stay to pour drinks, but we always let them just pour the first then we do the rest ourselves. When the party is over, they will have your room cleaned.

Somehow, we always manage to work our way through the 2 litres of spirits, and they have always been replaced bu our butler without us asking. Remember, you can ask for just about anything. It doesn't have to be on the list.

You may even decide to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in your room. The butler will organise this for you.

One of our past butlers, who looked after us several times, has now been promoted to Deck Manager and at Christmas even sent us a card from her native Poland. Nice touch!

Obviously, they will take care of laundry as well as setting your bed and pillows the way you like them.

There are people that treat them as servants, which they are not, so we always ensure that we show respect and gratitude. A wee tip doesn't go wrong either.

Stewart

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Your butler can be quite a useful addition.

For example, you might want to host a cocktail party, and your butler will arrange snacks and nibbles, provide extra beers and mixers, set out extra chairs if required, or an extra table. The butler will even stay to pour drinks, but we always let them just pour the first then we do the rest ourselves. When the party is over, they will have your room cleaned.

Somehow, we always manage to work our way through the 2 litres of spirits, and they have always been replaced bu our butler without us asking. Remember, you can ask for just about anything. It doesn't have to be on the list.

You may even decide to have breakfast, lunch or dinner in your room. The butler will organise this for you.

One of our past butlers, who looked after us several times, has now been promoted to Deck Manager and at Christmas even sent us a card from her native Poland. Nice touch!

Obviously, they will take care of laundry as well as setting your bed and pillows the way you like them.

There are people that treat them as servants, which they are not, so we always ensure that we show respect and gratitude. A wee tip doesn't go wrong either.

Stewart

Do not know if we were unlucky as we have only been in a QG once and had a butler but like I said on my previous post I dont know whether it depends on QG grade or just we were unlucky with a poor butler. I asked for brandy instead of whisky and was told brandy was not available and when we had whisky/vodka and we finished them before the end of the cruise they were not replaced with new bottles.

The only time we saw our butler is when he bought croissants/coffee/orange juice for breakfast and if we were in our suite when he bought canapes. Other than that we never saw him.

BigMac and majortom, copied your msgs noted. For my many years at work I never did get used to a steward/butler, but I hear the message from you both.  Will endeavour to motivate our butler in advance of our departure from STH lest he offers us the cold shoulder!!

On our last cruise with Celebrity, our butler was a dead loss, but our travelling companions had an exemplary character who did exactly as majortom has suggested.  Very versatile and proactive.  Knew what he was doing.  Lets hope we score a competent one on the QV.

PORT ROYAL, noted link to wine merchant; I shall follow that up, and thank you for your kind wishes.

Edited by davidfcdesouza

On 2/24/2019 at 6:29 AM, davidfcdesouza said:

Good morning David.

Here's my review and obvious tip for St Petersburg...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/14/one-way-to-do-st-petersburg/

Apart from the obvious places to see, and the legalised queue avoidance, these people also arrange your visa  and will tailor any particular visits that you may wish to include.

They did exactly that for me when I asked to see the Cruiser Aurora...1009223219_ThecruiserAuroracopyright.thumb.jpg.cfbcde87fcae559ce0b4aa327b86a6fa.jpg

...and the Stolle Pie Shop389535402_StollePieShop1.jpg.db37167ee27cc3a9df0758bb7d8b8ee1.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

We sailed in Queens Grill in January 2018 from Southampton to Cape Town. Our butler replenished the drinks regularly and brought us canapes every day, mostly we didn't eat them.

We were very underwhelmed with our QG experience. So much so that we are sailing in Britannia on our forthcoming cruise from Hong Kong to Cape Town next month.

2 hours ago, longton said:

We sailed in Queens Grill in January 2018 from Southampton to Cape Town. Our butler replenished the drinks regularly and brought us canapes every day, mostly we didn't eat them.

We were very underwhelmed with our QG experience. So much so that we are sailing in Britannia on our forthcoming cruise from Hong Kong to Cape Town next month.

Our butler replenished drinks used from the fridge and bottles of water but he didnt replenish the bottles of spirits when they were empty part way through the cruise which seems to have happened with others but not us.

As part of the discussion of another post, I found and read all 19 pages of the Cunard Contract of Carriage. From that I will tell all those who have taken quantities of alcohol, wine and Champagnes aboard in the past have done so because Cunard has chosen to look away. Their contract of carriage has the following included: "Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage." It goes further "Your luggage is subject to a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You may be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy." And finally: "You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage." 

The fact that Cunard has chosen not to take action they are legally entitled to do in the past when passengers have brought large quantities aboard has been a good will gesture . I hope that passengers with show moderation in the amounts they bring on, so that these restriction do not become rigidly enforced in the future. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

As part of the discussion of another post, I found and read all 19 pages of the Cunard Contract of Carriage. From that I will tell all those who have taken quantities of alcohol, wine and Champagnes aboard in the past have done so because Cunard has chosen to look away. Their contract of carriage has the following included: "Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage." It goes further "Your luggage is subject to a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You may be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy." And finally: "You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage." 

The fact that Cunard has chosen not to take action they are legally entitled to do in the past when passengers have brought large quantities aboard has been a good will gesture . I hope that passengers with show moderation in the amounts they bring on, so that these restriction do not become rigidly enforced in the future.

I think it's important to note that what you have quoted from the Cunard passage contract can only be found in the US version of that document. I've mentioned this before, but I can find no statement of the alcohol policy in any equivalent UK document. What I have found for a UK equivalent of the US passage contract is a 20-page document called "Booking Conditions" that does not mention anything about the alcohol policy. If I'm wrong about that, I'd love to hear where the alcohol policy is found in a UK document related to passage contracts or booking conditions.

I'm just mentioning this because I think we need to be careful about stating what Cunard's alcohol policy is based solely on what is stated in the US passage contract. If Cunard ever intended to enforce the limit of one bottle per person, it seems to me that ought to be made clear somewhere in a UK document, not just in the US contract.

Edit to add: The Australia "Booking and passage contract" document mentions an alcohol policy with no limit on the number of bottles that can be brought on board at embarkation. That document makes the following statment in the section about "Alcohol & gambling".

"On the day of embarkation, guests over the above minimum ages may bring on board wine or champagne to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of US$20 (fee subject to change). Any other alcohol purchased ashore will be collected at the gangway for safe keeping and will be returned to You on the last day of Your voyage."

Edited by bluemarble

On my UK Voyage Personaliser for a forthcoming trip on Queen Victoria it states:

Alcohol Policy Duty- and tax-free alcohol is available for purchase and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a $25 corkage fee. This fee is subject to change. Guests who are under 18 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board.  In U.S. waters, Cunard abides by the U.S. legal drinking age of 21 years. Any wines purchased via the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the on board $25 corkage fee.

"Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my cabin or in restaurants?" (from the UK FAQ):

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin."

Note the absence of any mention of quantity. One can draw one's own conclusions from Cunard's inconsistent messages, but judging from reports in this forum and elsewhere, in practice they don't appear to be in the least bit bothered.

35 minutes ago, kentchris said:

"Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my cabin or in restaurants?" (from the UK FAQ):

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your cabin."

Note the absence of any mention of quantity. One can draw one's own conclusions from Cunard's inconsistent messages, but judging from reports in this forum and elsewhere, in practice they don't appear to be in the least bit bothered.

You failed complete your last sentence,  by omitting the words "for the moment".

Cunard have the same bean counters as P&O.

A thought for those who wish to abuse.

MD's note the different glassware being collected in the Restaurant, Head of Houskeeping note "empties" and Deck Stewards note the contents of bins.

3 hours ago, longton said:

On my UK Voyage Personaliser for a forthcoming trip on Queen Victoria it states:

Alcohol Policy Duty- and tax-free alcohol is available for purchase and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a $25 corkage fee. This fee is subject to change. Guests who are under 18 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board.  In U.S. waters, Cunard abides by the U.S. legal drinking age of 21 years. Any wines purchased via the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the on board $25 corkage fee.

Thank you for that clarification. So there is at least one place where the one bottle limit is mentioned for UK passengers. I stand corrected. The UK voyage personaliser is one place I can't check since I wouldn't ever have a UK booking. That happens to be the same wording for the alcohol policy as in the US voyage personaliser.