formal evenings.

foz1946

Sailing on Indépendance in June and I am wondering whether to pack My tux or just wear a normal suit for these evenings, I enjoy getting togged up with my my bow tie but do not want to be overdressed or be in the minority. Any views appreciated.

Just now, foz1946 said:

Sailing on Indépendance in June and I am wondering whether to pack My tux or just wear a normal suit for these evenings, I enjoy getting togged up with my my bow tie but do not want to be overdressed or be in the minority. Any views appreciated.

You will see a mix of everything from formal, to suits, to shirt and tie, to even just a shirt and khakis.  Really wear whatever you want to be able to enjoy your evening.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foz1946 said:

There will be others wearing tuxedos, you won't be alone.

• Like 1

We're on Symphony right now. DH did not want to bring any dress clothes so we are going sort of dressy casual every evening. I'll report back on the degree of formality as tonight is the first formal night. If it were up to me we would dress to the nines but oh well.

6 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

You will see a mix of everything from formal, to suits, to shirt and tie, to even just a shirt and khakis.  Really wear whatever you want to be able to enjoy your evening.

Very true.  RCCL  is not nearly as formal as it once was.  :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

Just off the Allure saw a lot of shorts and t shirts on formal night. 

3 hours ago, vistapat said:

Keep in mind that many (if not most) women think that men look especially handsome in a tux.  Then choose accordingly:classic_biggrin:.

Pat

And keep in mind that many(if not most)men hate, and are uncomfortable in a tux.:classic_unsure:

I think how formal one dresses depends on the ship, the itinerary and the time of year.  Cruising isn't as formal as it once was.

Was on the Oasis in early December and was surprised how casual people dressed for formal night. Very few tuxes let alone suits. Lots of t-shirts and shorts.    I wore a suit the first night, then a open collared shirt and sport coat the second. 

Just got off the Freedom last week and was surprised how many suits and tuxes were worn.  I wore my suit both nights but my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary so we would have dressed up anyway.

Bottom line is wear what you want without regard to what others do.

12 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

Just off vision.  Some tux’s.  Some shorts and T-shirts!

• Like 1

We're on Symphony right now. DH did not want to bring any dress clothes so we are going sort of dressy casual every evening. I'll report back on the degree of formality as tonight is the first formal night. If it were up to me we would dress to the nines but oh well.

Follow up... Consensus applies.  I saw no tux but quite a few jackets shirt and tie... Most in kaki and shirt. A few in shorts and tee. Wear what you want.. No one will care.