Two different dresscodes the same evening.

sverigecruiser

18 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

The problem is people thinking they cannot exceed the dress suggestions.  Never heard in the MDR: "Sir/Madam, you look too nice this evening.  Please leave." 🤪

In fact, the opposite is true.  The crew always comment on how I'm dressed at dinner as I (almost) always wear something smart.  On one or two occasions that I didn't change, I felt bad even though what I was wearing was perfectly acceptable.

For me it's like going out for the evening and we try to make an effort.  DH always wears chinos or trousers - rarely jeans.

On topic - I understand what you're saying, SC.  I've seen that on several occasions.  As we never go to the 'Welcome Back' party, it doesn't affect us. No-one dresses formally for that event, anyway;  just like so many don't even bother on 'Elegant' nights either.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

This is exactly why the "LBD" (Little Black Dress) exists.  Perfect for the entire evening.  Cocktail is not the same as Formal.

BTW, I regularly read that some people (not me) dress for dinner, then go back to their cabins to change into shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops for the rest of the evening.  Why not the other way around?

13 hours ago, asctony said:

To answer your questions/suggestions/comments:

Do you disagree that:

1) Holding a Welcome Back party at 8:30 on a line that does not offer 'my time' dining is excluding a large percentage of cruisers (ie, all the cruisers who do not have YC and Aurora and are forced to eat at late dining).

There will never be a time where it will be convenient for all. There is no one time each cruise line conducts these as even ships for that cruise line have different times based on itinerary, etc. Many people who cruise a lot no longer attend this function for a free drink. After x number of cruises, it is not worth the time/crowd, etc., just to get a free drink. 

2) The most sensible approach is to make evening requested attire uniform across the ship. 

How can they make requested attire uniform when they have a Gala/Chic/Formal/etc. night and people do not dress accordingly? Things have changed, dress as you like and smell the roses. LOL

Asctony: You didn't answer either question, but that's ok. In the grande scheme it matters nothing. 

Regarding the thread: I think the OP was expressing some mild frustration at MSC holding two events in the same evening with different suggested attire. I agree with the OP and believe the most sensible approach is to have suggested attire for the evening consistent. 

Happy cruising :)

25 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Regarding the thread: I think the OP was expressing some mild frustration at MSC holding two events in the same evening with different suggested attire. I agree with the OP and believe the most sensible approach is to have suggested attire for the evening consistent. 

Happy cruising 🙂

Exactly, a very mild frustration! No problem to skip the Welcome Back Cocktail but had prefered to go with the same dress code as for dinner.

• Like 1