Two different dresscodes the same evening.

sverigecruiser

One of the days on our recent Divina cruise the suggested Dress Code in the Daily Program was "smart casual". We also got an invitation to "Welcome Back Cocktail" for 8.15 with the Dress Code: Elegant. How did MSC expected us to handle that?

Did they really expected us to dress smart casual for dinner and then return to the cabin and change for the Welcome Back Cocktail?

I know that the dress codes are suggested and that we can dress almost however we want but MSC must have a thought about it. Does anyone really change to Elegant after dinner?

The solution was very simple for us, we just skipped the Welcome Back Cocktail so that we didn't had to rush to the cabin and change after dinner.

46 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

There's no rule you can't be overdressed for the evening. People might wonder if you have spacial plans. 

As I said I know that the dress codes are suggested but I still prefer to follow them. I should defenitely not dress elegant when the suggested dress code was smart casual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

As I said I know that the dress codes are suggested but I still prefer to follow them. I should defenitely not dress elegant when the suggested dress code was smart casual.

Can anyone describe/explain what is the difference between:

Casual

Business Casual

Club Casual

Elegant Casual

etc?

Regardless of what the cruise lines suggest, people are dressing the way they want as long as it is decent. There really is no Dress Code or Suggested Dress Code any longer. JMHO

That applies to all Cruise lines that we cruise on such as MSC, Costa, HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, and NCL. Those days are gone a long time ago. JMHO!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, asctony said:

Casual

Business Casual

Club Casual

Elegant Casual

etc?

Regardless of what the cruise lines suggest, people are dressing the way they want as long as it is decent. There really is no Dress Code or Suggested Dress Code any longer. JMHO

That applies to all Cruise lines that we cruise on such as MSC, Costa, HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, and NCL. Those days are gone a long time ago. JMHO!

There is a suggested dress code and lots of people dress according to that.

15 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

There is a suggested dress code and lots of people dress according to that.

Fully understand that lots of people do, however, a lots of people no longer do. 

I would like to know what the difference is between the casual categories. Do you know?

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Nothing wrong with dressing above smart casual.  

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

What's an 'ascot', CGT?

Hi Bea,

An ascot is not quite a cravat.  It is a men’s silk scarf usually colorful or of a distinct design and it fits nicely under a shirt with an open collar.  It takes the place of a necktie and is not as restrictive.  It is both elegant and dressy casual.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asctony said:

Casual

Business Casual

Club Casual

Elegant Casual

etc?

Casual...onboard ship: for men:  a smart pair of jeans (no holes or stains) a polo shirt or resort shirt ( no T-shirts unless it is a designer T-shirt) with appropriate footwear (no sandals with socks or trashy sneakers and no baseball caps or other head gear worn inside).  

Business casual:  same as above but with a buttondown shirt, loafers or deck shoes and a blazer is optional.

Club casual: is what we call “Country Club Casual”.  No jeans...dress pants or golf club pants, golf sweater, polo shirt, designer polo, buttondown shirt with tie or without tie.  Blazer or sports jacket optional.

Elegant casual: as above Club Casual with a dark blazer and dark dress pants.  You can also wear a suit with no tie and/or an ascot.

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Casual...onboard ship: for men:  a smart pair of jeans (no holes or stains) a polo shirt or resort shirt ( no T-shirts unless it is a designer T-shirt) with appropriate footwear (no sandals with socks or trashy sneakers and no baseball caps or other head gear worn inside).  

Business casual:  same as above but with a buttondown shirt, loafers or deck shoes and a blazer is optional.

Club casual: is what we call “Country Club Casual”.  No jeans...dress pants or golf club pants, golf sweater, polo shirt, designer polo, buttondown shirt with tie or without tie.  Blazer or sports jacket optional.

Elegant casual: as above Club Casual with a dark blazer and dark dress pants.  You can also wear a suit with no tie and/or an ascot.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks for your time and description. It seems very clear, however, many people do not follow these suggestions/definitions/guidelines/etc. The worst part is that the Cruise Lines do not enforce them. HAPPY CRUISING!

1 hour ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

True, but I just didn't see it as dual-purpose. It's a specific look.

As all the above are for evening wear an ascot can also be worn in the daytime.  An ascot is appropriate for Club casual and Elegant casual.  It should be worn with a blazer or jacket as it looks out of place with just a shirt.  If it’s warm enough for just a shirt then it is too hot for an ascot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, asctony said:

Thanks for your time and description. It seems very clear, however, many people do not follow these suggestions/definitions/guidelines/etc. The worst part is that the Cruise Lines do not enforce them. HAPPY CRUISING!

The important thing is that you know what is stylish.  What better venue than a cruise is there to dress stylishly.  I really don’t care what the others are wearing as long as my wife and I are dressed appropriately.  Believe me, the crew and the officers appreciate the effort.  Happy cruising!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The important thing is that you know what is stylish.  What better venue than a cruise is there to dress stylishly.  I really don’t care what the others are wearing as long as my wife and I are dressed appropriately.  Believe me, the crew and the officers appreciate the effort.  Happy cruising!

Agree with you. We do dress up. However, Cruise lines just don't want to enforce their rules. Regardless of which rule.

Kids in Adult areas. 

Chair hogs.

Glass in pool.

I'm sure we can add more.