Head room on river boats

Tall Valley Cruiser

I am 6'7" tall and concerned that the height of stateroom ceiling might be problematic. Even if I could clear the ceiling itself, if lighting, vents, sprinklers are sticking down I could be bumping into them. Anybody have any experience with this? Would not be relaxing if I was constantly having to worry about banging my head. Yes, I am accustomed to ducking through most doorways. I have spoken to people that are 6'3", but the extra 4" makes a big difference.  :)  Are the bed sizes similar to a mini-suite on a Princess ship? Thanks!

22 hours ago, tfred said:

i am 6'6" and traveled on Crystal river last year.  I dont remember ever being concerned in all the usual places - hallways, doors

beds were king size and that was great

On the Mozart - it is an older ship that has been redone for Crystal, there is a somewhat low entrance to the ship. There is a huge sign to watch your head as you enter. I am guessing the new ships fixed this. This was the only place on Crystal that I would notice a problem.

Don't forget that the total height of the ship is limited because of low bridges. Even on a new ship with a retractable wheel house there is a limit to the height of each deck because of the total height limit.

I too am 6’-7” and was also concerned about this prior to our Viking River cruise a few years back. I went so far as to call or email Viking as we were initially booked in an “aquarium” class and I was concerned that the lowest deck might not have the same head height. 

I forget thr exact height but after our sailing I recall feeling no different on the river boats than I do on an ocean ship.  I didn’t have any issues with hitting my head though I seem to recall I had to watch for exit signs in the corridors. The beds were standard length so I had to sleep either angled across or somewhat fetally to not hang over the end.  But this is what I typically have to do everywhere but home where we have a California King. 

Have a great cruise!

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the information. Ducking the exit signs is standard for me, as is walking through doorways that seem built to 78" or 76" instead of the usual 80" clearance on most homes in the states. Did you notice any headroom difference deck to deck on river vessel? Fellow passengers sometimes look in amusement when my wife discretely calls out "duck". Think some are looking for web footed friends. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Tall Valley Cruiser