Shoes for Europe. Walking on cobblestones.

cementhands

Recently enjoyed a land trip through Europe followed by transatlantic. We researched shoes for all the walking on cobblestones and found the North Face hedgehog is a very good shoe for the many cobblestones walkways of Rome Lisbon and Barcelona. In research I found this shoe cups your heel as well reduces a chance of blisters. Also good socks with the heel tab helps to prevent blisters. The absolute worst thing is blisters when walking around a lot. Others swear by Merrill’s and I’ve got some too.

For Europe do your research as even with bus travel you will encounter walking.... It all starts with the feet.

This North face hedgehog is designed for tough terrain. The sole is made to absorb all the imperfections of walking on cobblestones.

Any good hiking shoe with a somewhat firm sole is a good bet for walking on cobblestones. Specific brand isn't so important, depends more on what fits your foot best.  Looking for a Vibram sole (see the photo for these shoes, but they are also on other brand-name shoes) is a good idea.  

Some shoes have really cushy soles, but you can still get stone bruises because they bend around the cobblestone.....  Happened to my son when we were in Venice and Florence last year and did a lot of walking.

• 1 month later...

I live in France and survive in my Skechers. Narrow foot, good padding and flexible. And as others have mentioned, every foot is different...................................Having said that, I have murderous feet and can only wear Skechers when I need to walk all day.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, MaisonRose said:

I live in France and survive in my Skechers. Narrow foot, good padding and flexible. And as others have mentioned, every foot is different...................................Having said that, I have murderous feet and can only wear Skechers when I need to walk all day.

I agree with Skechers....I have several pairs and they've walked all over Europe and Asia.

I love my Sketcher sandals, they have a sole like a gym shoe but the canvas has cut outs, which is great.  They have more support than some leather sandals.  As others have said, name brand isn't important, it is about support and a thick sole.

On whichever shoes you decide ... please wear them at home to "break them in".  Nothing worse than wearing NEW shoes that may/may not be as comfortable after walking around for a while as they were when you first tried them on.  :classic_wink:

Just be careful of rubber soled hikers on wet metal surfaces.OK on stones,but I knocked myself out when I slid on an aluminium expansion joint in the pavement,in a downpour in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Just be careful of rubber soled hikers on wet metal surfaces.OK on stones,but I knocked myself out when I slid on an aluminium expansion joint in the pavement,in a downpour in Vancouver.

When caught in a very heavy downpour in Budapest, I decided it would be a good idea to jump from the curb to a manhole cover.  It was not, in fact, a good idea.  I fell, got more wet and dropped my phone, but no major damage.

An extra pair of socks is a good idea too.  I keep them with me in case it rains or if I need to double up.  Double socks do help with friction.(thin, form fitting sock)  If you feel like your shoe is rubbing double up before a blister forms. Another great product is moleskin.  It is somewhat like a bandaid.  You simply cut the size you need.