Internet access

Wendyaa

6 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Has anyone gotten the 1-device package then trying to connect to another device using the iPhone hotspot, thus having 2 devices on line at the same time with a 1-device package?   Of course, you would have to be in the same proximity.   Would the iPhone hotspot work on your laptop so you wouldn't have to toggle back & forth on devices with just a 1-device package?

Phone hotspot would not work, but a travel router or a laptop with 2 network interfaces would work.

Edited by Tourist1292

1 hour ago, Tourist1292 said:

Phone hotspot would not work, but a travel router or a laptop with 2 network interfaces would work.

Not sure what that is, but probably best to logoff/login to switch devices.  Thanks everyone  for your  input.

I got the Simply Surfing package for $129 for an 11 day cruise on the Reflection..  Just called Customer Service and had no problems cancelling the original package and adding this new package.  I understand this is not showing on  anyone's cruise planner yet, I just found out about it when I called about the Sale.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandy66 said:

I got the Simply Surfing package for $129 for an 11 day cruise on the Reflection..  Just called Customer Service and had no problems cancelling the original package and adding this new package.  I understand this is not showing on  anyone's cruise planner yet, I just found out about it when I called about the Sale.

They have added the link on their website a few days ago for "book it now", but it does not work as it has not been added to cruise planner yet. One would have to call to order it.

30 minutes ago, sandy66 said:

what does Simply Surfing restrict you to?

8 minutes ago, sandy66 said:

You are only able to surf the web, text, check emails.  Not able to stream or Skype, FaceTime ,etc.

So, you can use FB and send photos etc. or is that more for the regular internet package...anyone...

27 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

So, you can use FB and send photos etc. or is that more for the regular internet package...anyone...

We’re on Solstice right now, and have the Simply Surfing package for the duration of the cruise.  It is very slow and feeble, but adequate, and pretty cheap with the loyalty discount.  A Speedtest just now gives a download speed of 0.61 Mbps, and 0.12 Mbps for upload.  We are able to upload photos to Facebook and send them through WhatsApp, and as attachments to email.  We can’t play any video clips on Facebook, no matter how short. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

We’re on Solstice right now, and have the Simply Surfing package for the duration of the cruise.  It is very slow and feeble, but adequate, and pretty cheap with the loyalty discount.  A Speedtest just now gives a download speed of 0.61 Mbps, and 0.12 Mbps for upload.  We are able to upload photos to Facebook and send them through WhatsApp, and as attachments to email.  We can’t play any video clips on Facebook, no matter how short. 

Re the speed.

Cruise ships are notorious for being slow, but are we saying that "simply surfing" is set slower as it is cheaper I.e., the more expensive package is actually faster? 

37 minutes ago, arsenalboy said:

Re the speed.

Cruise ships are notorious for being slow, but are we saying that "simply surfing" is set slower as it is cheaper I.e., the more expensive package is actually faster? 

In October and November of last year, before this new option was offered, we took a b2b on Silhouette and had speeds of 2.28 and 2.90 at times, but also 0.58 and 0.10 mid-Atlantic.  This time, we haven’t had any speed above 1.0 Mbps even when sitting in port in New Zealand and Australia, and I think the bandwidth has been throttled.  I think the idea is to save the higher speed and chunkier bandwidth for the higher-priced package.  

Edited by lisiamc

34 minutes ago, arsenalboy said:

Re the speed.

Yes. The unlimited internet package is pretty fast and can stream video. I've read recent reports about that.

• Like 1

I keep hearing about Xcellerate and high-speed internet, but I’ve only seen very modest internet speeds on board ship, even in areas with fairly high shipping traffic.  Maybe the satellite coverage is better in the Caribbean and that’s where people are seeing higher speeds?  We haven’t been to the Caribbean since Xcellerate became a thing.

Now that they have two tiers of speeds, I doubt I’ll ever see anything above 1.0 Mbps on board again, since I’m a cheapskate.

Edited by lisiamc

1 minute ago, lisiamc said:

I keep hearing about Xcellerate and high-speed internet, but I’ve only seen very modest internet speeds on board ship, even in areas with fairly high shipping traffic.  Maybe the satellite coverage is better in the Caribbean and that’s where people are seeing higher speeds?  We haven’t been to the Caribbean since Xcellerate became a thing.

Now that they have two two tiers of speeds, I doubt I’ll ever see anything above 1.0 Mbps on board again, since I’m a cheapskate.

High speed internet was also reported on Trans Pacific cruise. The farther from equator the poorer the reception to satellite. Perhaps the worse when cruising the inside passage in Alaska.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:50 PM, sandy66 said:

Was that the price before or after applying any Captain’s Club discount you may or not be entitled to?

The Surf Internet package is appearing in my Cruise Planner now for my upcoming Equinox cruise. I see the price in Canadian dollars: $120 CAN for 8 days.

Overview

Our new value-priced Surf Internet Package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube.

Just checked in Cruise Planner for Infinity 15 day TA.   They are offering the Surf Internet Package for $151.20    I assume this would be discounted with CC status discount.  As a point of reference the  regular package is priced at $287.00

Just found that surf package added to my cruise too. It is $89.10 for 1 device and $133.65 for 2 devices on a 7 night cruise after 10% off. Note that the surf package has very limited bandwidth and only good for text and limited photo or voice data.

The Surf package is now available for purchase in my Cruise Planner as well.  It wasn’t yesterday. 

I would normally say it’s strange that the only way the Surf package displays in my Cruise Planner is if I indicate I’m interested in a package for 2 devices. When I shop for only 1 device only the Unlimited package displays. Just another idiosyncrasy of Celebrity’s IT department. 

No matter if you’re looking to purchase the Unlimited or Surf package, don’t book it on line if you qualify for a loyalty discount as a Captain’s Club member. Call the Captain’s Club to purchase and have your discount applied. 

Edited by BEAV

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

The Surf package is now available for purchase in my Cruise Planner as well.  It wasn’t yesterday. 

I would normally say it’s strange that the only way the Surf package displays in my Cruise Planner is if I indicate I’m interested in a package for 2 devices. When I shop for only 1 device only the Unlimited package displays. Just another idiosyncrasy of Celebrity’s IT department. 

No matter if you’re looking to purchase the Unlimited or Surf package, don’t book it on line if you qualify for a loyalty discount as a Captain’s Club member. Call the Captain’s Club to purchase and have your discount applied. 

Couldn't you just book it on board and get the discount?  I think I just may do that.  I want to hear more reviews about how fast it is.  Only reason I want it is for facebook and uploading pictures.

Stefani

2 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Couldn't you just book it on board and get the discount?  I think I just may do that.  I want to hear more reviews about how fast it is.  Only reason I want it is for facebook and uploading pictures.

Stefani

I believe it’s slightly cheaper if purchased pre-cruise. If I can get either the same price or less by purchasing in advance, I’ll do it. It’s just one less “chore” to attend to on embarkation day!  But that’s just a personal preference. 

5 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I believe it’s slightly cheaper if purchased pre-cruise. If I can get either the same price or less by purchasing in advance, I’ll do it. It’s just one less “chore” to attend to on embarkation day!  But that’s just a personal preference. 

Fair enough 🙂   I will keep reading more reviews...so far all I have read is that it is slow.  That would annoy me for uploading pictures.  Then I might just wait until in port.

11 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Fair enough 🙂   I will keep reading more reviews...so far all I have read is that it is slow.  That would annoy me for uploading pictures.  Then I might just wait until in port.

Yes, I see a 10% off pre-cruise discount. It is very slow if you want to upload an album. If you only post one photo at a time occasionally, it may be fine.

Edited by Tourist1292