Flying With A CPAP

Daniel A

This will be our first time travelling with a CPAP.  It looks like the airline will allow the CPAP in a separate bag to be allowed as either checked baggage or carry on without counting as extra luggage.  Meaning I won't need to pay extra if it's above what I'm already checking and carrying on.  Anybody have experience with this?  Any advice on what type of travel bag we should get for it?

Any bag you are comfortable carrying. I either use the bag it came in, or a larger bag that I carry with other stuff. For carry-on purposes, as long as it is the only thing in the bag, it is not counted as a carry on. Can't help with your question about checked baggage, because I would NEVER check mine.

My husband has been traveling with a CPAP for 20 plus years. It is in the original bag, NEVER checked. Always carried with him. He has a luggage tag identifying it has medical equipment. It does not count as a carry on, but is in addition to your allowed carry on.  An extension cord is in the bag with it.

Be advised that TSA will inspect it and normally will do a wipe down on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Ahh yes, the good old TSA...

I've forgotten about that part since I got Pre Check. Being able to just put my bags on the belt, walk through, pick up and go has made it well worth the extra cost for me 🙂

We have Global Entry, so we get Pre Check.  I'm considering putting the CPAP in as checked baggage as DW & I will have a personal and carry on bag in addition to the CPAP.  I'm concerned about us being overloaded going through the airports and the cruise terminal with the added bag containing the CPAP.  Does anyone have any experience checking the CPAP?  I'm also considering having the CPAP as checked baggage going on and off the ship.

While the decision ultimately is yours, the question I would ask you is:  if the CPAP machine were lost, or broken by being checked, would you still be able to enjoy your cruise.   If the answer is no, then you should not consider checking it through.  This is a piece of Medical equipment, not easily replaceable or repaired on the trip,  so I would never consider checking it. Purchase a small backpack or a rolling carryon for it, but I would seriously reconsider checking it.  

• Like 3

On 3/3/2019 at 7:57 AM, Daniel A said:

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses.  I think I'll carry on and check my backpack if need be.

Good choice.  In addition to the medical nature of the Cpap, there is also a consideration of the electronics.  Airlines recommend never checking any electronic equipment, as the holds may not be appropriately pressurized to protect them, and they are never temperature controlled.

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Good choice.  In addition to the medical nature of the Cpap, there is also a consideration of the electronics.  Airlines recommend never checking any electronic equipment, as the holds may not be appropriately pressurized to protect them, and they are never temperature controlled.

It was just that, my laptop backpack used to be my included second carry on item.  With the CPAP, even though that's 'free', now, checking the backpack may cost me an extra $100 which means because I want to carry on my 'free' CPAP, I have to stop carrying on something else because it becomes unmanageable.  I'll figure it out.  I may dump the backpack for a second bag containing both my laptop and my CPAP.  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It was just that, my laptop backpack used to be my included second carry on item.  With the CPAP, even though that's 'free', now, checking the backpack may cost me an extra $100 which means because I want to carry on my 'free' CPAP, I have to stop carrying on something else because it becomes unmanageable.  I'll figure it out.  I may dump the backpack for a second bag containing both my laptop and my CPAP.  Thank you.

I travel a lot for business.  I purchased an underseat-sized roller bag and put my laptop and cpap both it it, along with all my work stuff and a tote that I use to carry my laptop when I get to where I'm going.  Easy peasy.  (I don't like to cart a bunch of stuff around in airports, either.)

Edited by Schoifmom

2 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I travel a lot for business.  I purchased an underseat-sized roller bag and put my laptop and cpap both it it, along with all my work stuff and a tote that I use to carry my laptop when I get to where I'm going.  Easy peasy.  (I don't like to cart a bunch of stuff around in airports, either.)

Good advice.  Thank you.

When I fly, I use a duffle that goes over my shoulder that I put my CPAP in. My laptop bag is a rolling backpack, so I pull that, put the duffle on my shoulder, and away I go. I used to carry a backpack and the CPAP and it was a pain, but I did it. Moving to a rolling bag (mainly because my back started giving me issues) made life a lot easier. If my wife is traveling with me, her Nebulizer goes with the CPAP. I might even try to squeeze my camera in as well 🙂

I never check my CPAP. Can't afford to have it lost or damaged. I take a rolling bag that fits in the overhead bin, and which I can carry by setting my CPAP on top with the strap around that roller bag handle, and then take a small knapsack which I put my purse into when checking into the flight. The roller bag and CPAP both go in the overhead bin, and the knapsack under the seat in front of me. I use the ResMed travel bag, which TSA readily recognizes as a CPAP...sometimes they hand inspect it, sometimes not. I also have a tag with my address/phone/e-mail on one side and a orange colored notice about this being medical equipment on the other. Medical equipment does not count as your carry on limit, nor is there an extra charge, as long as all you have in that bag is indeed medical equipment or supplies (don't add any clothing, etc. to that bag).

Also, although you are usually instructed to use only distilled water (which you can usually obtain aboard ship) for humidification, I have traveled where I could not obtain this, used bottled water, and never had a problem.

Edited by Splinter

On March 1, 2019 at 7:14 PM, Daniel A said:

This will be our first time travelling with a CPAP.  It looks like the airline will allow the CPAP in a separate bag to be allowed as either checked baggage or carry on without counting as extra luggage.  Meaning I won't need to pay extra if it's above what I'm already checking and carrying on.  Anybody have experience with this?  Any advice on what type of travel bag we should get for it?

Doesn't your CPAP come in a  case ? Mine does .

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Doesn't your CPAP come in a  case ? Mine does .

I have been trying to get the whole Sleep Apnea thing dealt with.  I took the study, the doctor has ordered the CPAP at the beginning of this month but I'm still waiting on insurance approval.  I have no idea what I will be getting.  All I know is that whatever device they are selling, I have to take it with me on a nice vacation.  I don't mean to sound snotty, I'm just very frustrated that on top of packing for the cruise I'm trying to figure out how to get a CPAP of unknown size and description onto an airplane and a ship the first week or two I have it.  I leave for my cruise in 3 weeks.

I did order distilled water from Princess.  Somebody nice suggested that...

Edited by Daniel A

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I have been trying to get the whole Sleep Apnea thing dealt with.  I took the study, the doctor has ordered the CPAP at the beginning of this month but I'm still waiting on insurance approval.  I have no idea what I will be getting.  All I know is that whatever device they are selling, I have to take it with me on a nice vacation.  I don't mean to sound snotty, I'm just very frustrated that on top of packing for the cruise I'm trying to figure out how to get a CPAP of unknown size and description onto an airplane and a ship the first week or two I have it.  I leave for my cruise in 3 weeks.

Generally, cpaps are not very big and do come with a case. Hubby likes to take his in the case, which I then put into a larger bag (because we put other things in with it).  I simply put my in the underseat roller (see previous post) with other things.  The important thing to remember is to protect it just as you would a laptop or other electronic devices.  

I think you'll be fine.  Don't over think this 🙂 

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Your doctor will order the CPAP from a surgical supplier.I see you are in a NY suburb.If you happen to be in LI there is a horrible supplier there who unfortunately the Pulmonary doctor I was using at the time ordered the CPAP and supplies from them.

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Your doctor will order the CPAP from a surgical supplier.I see you are in a NY suburb.If you happen to be in LI there is a horrible supplier there who unfortunately the Pulmonary doctor I was using at the time ordered the CPAP and supplies from them.

The doctor is in Mount Kisco but I am in Florida for the Winter.  The doctor has a company that he uses in NY that also does business in Florida.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:15 AM, Schoifmom said:

Generally, cpaps are not very big and do come with a case. Hubby likes to take his in the case, which I then put into a larger bag (because we put other things in with it).  I simply put my in the underseat roller (see previous post) with other things.  The important thing to remember is to protect it just as you would a laptop or other electronic devices.  

I think you'll be fine.  Don't over think this 🙂 

I agree.  Mine has a bag that all the parts fit into, and it fits just fine under a seat.  The bag is smaller then our laptop bag, and it's much lighter.

I would keep it under the seat, and in that bag.  I had mine in a backpack, in the overhead bin, and part of the plastic on the mask got broken.  

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The doctor is in Mount Kisco but I am in Florida for the Winter.  The doctor has a company that he uses in NY that also does business in Florida.

Good,not likely that he would use a supplier in LI ,most likely Westchester.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.  It turns out that the matter has resolved itself.  I will not be getting the CPAP until I have returned from the cruise.  By the time I fly the next time, I should be an old pro with the CPAP.  Now I have to cancel the distilled water for the cruise.  Thanks again to everybody.

Just to answer your question about checking a CPAP.  We have checked ours numerous times.  It goes in the bag it came in and then that bag in a rolleraboard  size suitcase that is made for scuba diving equipment.  Also out other things related like extensions cords, tools for my husband’s scooter, and a non slip nat for the shower.  I ordered a luggage strap that has MEDICAL EQUIPMENT embroidered on it.  Thankfully, we never had an issue with losing or breaking.  I know it’s taking a chance but with all the other stuff we have to take it’s a chance I’m willing to take.  That being said we have now bought travel size ones that we carry on when doing an overnight flight so we can use on the plane.

• 3 months later...

I know this is way late but the only way you could check your CPAP in as checked luggage and not be charged for the bag is if the CPAP was the only thing in the bag or you only had medical equipment in the checked bag. I have to use a ASV (CPAP on steroids) and use an oxygen concentrator at night. The oxygen concentrator is the size of a 24 inch suitcase. To travel by air, I had to check my concentrator and a second bag. To get the free bag for medical equipment, I had to open my medical bag at the ticket counter and prove it was only medical equipment in it for the free baggage. 

If it is just a CPAP, carry it on.