What do you use to protect your valuables?

Shadygap

I will be going on my first solo cruise later this month? I have looked at various items to secure my cell phone, passport (while at port), cash etc.  From small boxes with locks to cinch sacks with locks.  What will work best when I take a dip in the ocean or the pool?  For those of you seasoned solo cruisers, what so you suggest?  What has worked best for you?  

I have a waterproof pouch I got years ago (before I had a cell phone). I carry only a small amount of valuables in port and this pouch holds what I need.  Amazon has a number of options.  I found out the lanyard is big enough to slip over my head and around my waist, which I will do in the future, because I used to put it around my neck and tucked into my swimsuit strap, but as it has air in it, it floats and gets in the way.  Tucked into the back of my waist is better.  There are also water proof fanny sacks for the similar purpose.  As far as other 'stuff', there is usually a family or couple near by to sort of keep an eye on things, but I just don't fuss too much about that stuff.  There are other boards here and this topic does arise on a number of them - First Time Cruisers, Ask A Cruise Question, even 'Cruise Fashion and Beauty.https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/5-cruise-discussion-topics/

search 'valuables' or such.

Personally, I think a locked container is just asking for theft, but I seem to have a higher 'safety' threshold that a lot of people....or I am just more trusting or lucky.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, Shadygap said:

For those of you seasoned solo cruisers, what so you suggest?

Don't go overboard on security, or it will look like you've got something worth stealing.  Generally speaking, the "ordinary" things that you do at home will go a long way to securing yourself and your belongings while at port: look confident, be aware of your surroundings, act like you know what you're doing and where you're going, and don't flash fancy jewelry or cash.   On shore, I carry an over-the-shoulder camera bag that has enough room for my other stuff too (wallet, sunglasses, etc). 

I don't go swimming at the beach for just this reason; if I wanted to, I would have a minimum of stuff (cruise card and $10 or so) and keep my time in the water to a minimum.   Hopefully, there'd be someone I knew from the ship nearby, but usually my port stops don't include swimming. 

At the beach I wear nylon board shorts. If they have a zippered pocket I put my cash and card in it. If there is not a  zipped pocket, I sew inVelcro which keeps the pocket closed. I swim and snorkel and everything stays put. 

If I am going to snorkel, I book an excursion. My stuff is on the excursion boat, and I have yet to have any theft.  If I am swimming at a beach, my ship's card, ID, and some cash are in a ziplock bag tucked inside my swimsuit.  The only things left on the beach are my towel, hat, cover up, and sun screen - nothing anybody would be interested in. 

You don't need to take your passport at most Caribbean ports  - just ship's card and driver's license. Whether I'm at the beach or the ship's pool, I get a chair close to the water (easier to do when you just need one chair), and keep an eye on my chair while I'm in the water. No, I probably couldn't hop out fast enough to tackle a thief, but it feels safe enough to me. At the ship's pool, the only valuable I have is my phone, which I use to take photos, and it is password-protected. At the beach, I also have ID, a credit card, and small amount of cash. Not enough to worry about securing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a waterproof fanny pack that I use for my ship's card, a little money and a credit card, and even my point-and-shoot camera when I swim or snorkel. I don't travel with a cell phone, but could put one in this bag too. I bought mine at REI years ago.

• 1 month later...

Some locations in the Caribbean are very dangerous with locals ready to pounce on an unsuspecting "rich'' visitor, particularly a solo one. Carry the minimum of valuables with you - leave the rest on the ship. This includes expensive watches and all types of jewellery. Don't lug a huge camera around - have a small, relatively cheap one. If possible go ashore with a group and do not walk down quiet streets.

Having done a couple of beach excursions solo, i always take the bare minimum out with me.

I have always tended to do ship excursions so i atleast get to know who im with and get a sense of who i can trust with my valuables should i want to go for a swim.

My first go at a beach excursion solo was at Abi Beach St Thomas (from a Pirate Ship excursion!). The beach at loungers... i found a secluded one i was happy with then hid my valuables (smartphone, shipcard and my $150) at the very bottom of my beach bag underneath everything else including my clothes. Then wrapped my bag strap around the lounger leg. It never moved the whole time... though i had line of sight and checked it was there every so often.

The second was a Jost Van Dyke excursion from Tortola... a very small group excursion of 20 people. No loungers on the beach. Again, i hid my stuff at the bottom of my bag and just abandoned it on the beach. Peolple were ha ing too much fun to care about each others posessions.

I dont think you have to worry in terms of your fellow cruisers. More so from members of the public... which is why if i was at a busy beach in Europe i may be more cautious.