Earliest Checkin Time

ptrpanpens

you can usually "check in" as early as 10:30-11:00 but that does not mean you will be able to board the ship once you have checked in.  Depending on what time thy docked in the morning and how long it takes to clear and clean the ship, they may hold off boarding until about 11:00 or 11:30.  That has been our experience

• 2 weeks later...

In our experience there may not be staff available to check you in much before the earliest check-in time. Certainly on our last cruise from Civitavechia we arrived at about 11:30am for a check-in time that was advertised as from 12:00 and check-in didn’t start until 12:00 because the staff weren’t ready.

Our official check in time was 1pm. We arrived at 10:45 check in started at 11 and we were on the ship at 11:30. Room were ready around 1:30. This is a nice perk compared to the big ships.

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

In our experience there may not be staff available to check you in much before the earliest check-in time. Certainly on our last cruise from Civitavechia we arrived at about 11:30am for a check-in time that was advertised as from 12:00 and check-in didn’t start until 12:00 because the staff weren’t ready.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping to board as early as possible and go back out. However, if I cant drop a carryon in my cabin before 1:30 I will probably just store my luggage at the hotel and board later and stay on board. 

Do you know if Azamara docks near the end of Las Ramblas or will it be further out?

thanks for any help. I have only sailed on Azamara once so far and that cruise embarked from Lisbon. I seem to remember seeing Azamara on a recent cruise from Barcelona and it was docked closer in than Celebrity or other larger ships.

3 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

As you board the ship there will be someone to take care of your carry on luggage. They will label it and it is delivered to your cabin later. 

So if you want to go into Barcelona on embark day you can. 

Yes I know this, however, I dont want to carry around all my money and cedit cards, IPAD, etc. especially on Las Ramblas and I do not want to lock them up in luggage that is being stored onboard. So I dont want to go out unless I can leave valuable stuff in my safe. I guess I will just board and when cabins are available go out for a couple of hours or as long as I can. I have been to Barcelona many times and staying four nights before the cruise so will probably just go to the Boqueria or the Gothic Quarter and walk around on that day anyway.

thanks again for all the help.

Very wise not to take valuables into Barcelona with you. 

I had valuable jewellery with me once .....I have more sense now and don't take anything very valuable with me ....anyway I asked could they keep it in the ships safe for me for a few hours. I just haded it in at Guest Relations and it was no problem at all. 

Thanks for this info. That may work for me and I will try it. Nothing to lose. But as you say, plenty of risk taking too much of value on Las Ramblas. I learned my lesson  many years ago only to take the minimum $ and one credit card no matter where you are