Shoes for dinner...and onboard dress in general

takemeaway2008

Usually, I would wear a dressy sandal to dinner. They are easier to pack if nothing else. What shoes do people wear to dinner? I will probably wear pants every night. 

Also, do people wear shorts on board? Or capris, or long pants and jeans?  When my summer break starts in June, I wear shorts pretty much every day. I'll pack jeans for visiting ports. 

Thanks. We were in Canada on the East coast last summer and it was the hottest weather they had in 10 years. Everybody was so hot and we had all these long pants because we thought it was going to be cooler. I'm also used to driving to my cruises so I'm trying to plan out my suitcase packing; I'm not used to being limited to airline restrictions. 

I wear some light weight black patent flats but there is no reason you can’t wear nice sandals.  I have some Merrill flats with warm lining that I wear around the ship and sometimes to dinner on more casual evenings.  Comfort is important.  You walk a lot depending on the size of the ship.

Plan to layer since the weather may be warm or very cold and/or wet.   One pair of shorts may come in handy.  There are pants that convert to shorts. Shorts can be worn around the ship but not in the dining room in the evening.  Be sure to bring clothes that are comfy since you may gain a couple of pounds.  Alaska is very casual on the ship and off.

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Plan to layer since the weather may be warm or very cold and/or wet.   One pair of shorts may come in handy.

I agree, you probably don't want to bother bringing more than one pair of shorts.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend you bring a full-zip fleece, you're find it essential IMO...

5 hours ago, takemeaway2008 said:

Usually, I would wear a dressy sandal to dinner. They are easier to pack if nothing else. What shoes do people wear to dinner? I will probably wear pants every night. 

Also, do people wear shorts on board? Or capris, or long pants and jeans?  When my summer break starts in June, I wear shorts pretty much every day. I'll pack jeans for visiting ports. 

Thanks. We were in Canada on the East coast last summer and it was the hottest weather they had in 10 years. Everybody was so hot and we had all these long pants because we thought it was going to be cooler. I'm also used to driving to my cruises so I'm trying to plan out my suitcase packing; I'm not used to being limited to airline restrictions. 

While I wear shorts/sandals during the day, for dinner I wear long trousers and dress black shoes.

Check the forecast for your ports before you leave and pack accordingly. I'm fine wearing shorts (or, sundresses which is my preference) when it's 70. You might require a fleece at 85 (as my in-laws do 😉

I did bring sandals on my Alaska cruises and I have definitely used them. I didn't find Alaska more or less casual than any other cruise - I found everyone followed the cruise line dress code and dressed for the weather.... (I've been on HAL, Princess, and this past year on Seabourn in Alaska)

Unfashionable I may be, but 99.5% of the time, I’m wearing solid black athletic shoes. I’ve previously broken ankles and arch bones in both feet, and even with professional orthotics, my arches still kill me by midday. By dinner, forget it. Evening Chic or no, I’ll be in my black sneakers!

I wore dressy sandals, capri pants and a nice shirt/blouse, or a cotton wrap dress with the same dressy sandals. The ship is heated, so I didn't have a problem with cold legs/feet, but I did wear a cardigan every night to cover my arms.