Flying into FLL for a cruise out of Miami

OCVTSGIRL

This has probably been asked before so if it has, I apologize.  In September we are flying into FLL via Spirit Airlines (they don't fly to Miami) the day before our cruise on the Symphony of the Seas out of Miami.  We have a hotel booked in Miami because we thought that is where we would be flying in to.  My question is should we keep that hotel and find a way to get ourselves there from Ft. Lauderdale or try to get a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale that perhaps has a shuttle to the Miami port?  Anybody have experience with this that can make suggestions?  Also, what is our best option getting back to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of the cruise.  Our return flight is at 3:00 and the excursions I see are for those having flights after 4:00.  I seem to remember in the past the cruise line having transportation to the airport that we could book once we were on the ship but it wasn't this ship or this airport.  

Yes, it has been discussed many times, and some reading and searching around the board would get you lots of info. 

There is opinions for staying in either Miami or Ft Lauderdale.  May depend a little on what time you are arriving at FLL. Any hotel in Ft Lauderdale that has a shuttle to PortMiami will be charging for it. It won't be free. Privately arranged shuttles is also an option. Uber is also very commonly recommended. Same for your return trip. Uber and shuttles will be cheaper than cruise line transfers.

All it takes is a little reading. 

I just flew to FLL last month, I booked a hotel with a free shuttle from Fll to the hotel in Fort Lauderdale. For the trip to POM I use SAS, they picked me up at the hotel and took me to the ship for $15.00 per person one way. SAS will pick you up at POM and take you to FLL. As far as killing time, someone else will have to chime in, I don't book late flights.

If using SAS transportation double check on their website to see which hotels they drop you off at in Miami.. there are only a handful, I am also flying into FLL for a cruise out of POM, but plan on staying a night before in Miami.. and I contacted GO transportation.. and they will drop you off at most hotels in Miami.. , or taking an Uber is always an option also.  

As for what to do after the cruise.. I would try resortpass, where you can hang out at a hotel all day and use most of their amenities.. 🙂

I would just use Uber and not think much about transportation, booking shuttles, etc.  The airports are about 30 minutes drive apart, so it's pretty irrelevant which one you fly in to or where you stay.  The decision should have more to do with what you want to do the day before your cruise, what time you get in, etc.

Don't over think it. I don't know how large your group is, but just Uber/Lyft. Easy and usually around the same price as any shuttle unless you are 1 person. 

What hotel do you have booked? No need to change it. Don't worry about shuttles to the port, there are not many hotels that offer that. 

For the way back to FLL, Uber/Lyft again. I am never really that good at things to do between cruise and flights unless you have a rental car as you need somewhere to take your luggage. 

We fly into FLL and sail out of Miami. We have stayed in FLL area and booked Johns car service for all our transportation needs. Worked great. He picked us up at the airport and brought us to hotel. Then picked us up at hotel and brought us to port and then picked us up at port and brought us to FLL airport at the end of trip. All prearranged and paid for ahead of time.

I read a cc topic a short while ago that said you could not check luggage till 2 hours before your flight. Is this still true or was that just during the government shutdown?  We are traveling out on Sunday.  We use Uber from Fll 17th Street hotels to Port of Miami in the morning because we like to arrive early. Shuttle services that I have talked to pick up in the late morning.  We have found cruise line excursions with Fll drop off a good way to extend the vacation.  Our direct flights are usually 3 or 4 or 7pm.  We have one booked in a few weeks with Celebrity and our flight is 3:05pm. Fll

Hi.

We flew into FLL and took the Carnival shuttle straight to Miami in Aug 2017.

This year we are flying into FLL a day early and taking an Uber to the La Quinta East in Miami.

Reasons:

• La Quinta is a little over $100 - so many of the other hotels are $400 and up. No thanks.
  • Uber is much faster than anyone's shuttle.
  • The trip from La Quinta in Miami to the port looks to be about 15 minutes. We like to sleep late, yet want to be on the ship as early as possible since it's a short cruise. (I also got FTTF to help with boarding early.)

Coming home in 2017 we booked the Carnival transfer to FLL with the Everglades tour. It was awesome. We were at the airport in plenty of time to make a 3 pm flight. In fact I tried to change our flight to a 1 pm but it was too expensive.

Have fun!

Thanks everybody!  We are booked at the Comfort Suites in Miami Springs.  Total cost for the 2 of us is $100 and includes a free shuttle to the port.  I think it would be best for us to stay a this hotel so the morning of our cruise it should be a short trip to the port rather than traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to the port.  The hotel looks nice and got good reviews but I'm still trying to find out what is nearby as far as places to eat without much luck.  Our flight gets into Ft. Lauderdale around 3:30 so we figure by the time we get there and check in we might be ready for dinner.  Sounds like Lyft is the way to go as far as getting ourselves from the airport to the hotel.  Has anybody else stayed at this hotel or have any recommendations for a different hotel.  I just checked their website and found the same room to be $125 before fees when we got $89 plus fees when we booked a month ago.

28 minutes ago, bettyboop16 said:

We just returned from our cruise. We used Lyft from Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami Beach & then several places in Miami. Lyft is the way to go. Courteous drivers with clean vehicles.

Worth noting that Lyft and Uber are almost one in the same. The drivers almost all use both apps. I like to check both just in case a difference in rates. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Worth noting that Lyft and Uber are almost one in the same. The drivers almost all use both apps. I like to check both just in case a difference in rates. 

I did check & Lyft was always cheaper. We had a couple of drivers that worked for both companies.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, Midwest Sunseeker said:

I read a cc topic a short while ago that said you could not check luggage till 2 hours before your flight. Is this still true or was that just during the government shutdown?  We are traveling out on Sunday.  We use Uber from Fll 17th Street hotels to Port of Miami in the morning because we like to arrive early. Shuttle services that I have talked to pick up in the late morning.  We have found cruise line excursions with Fll drop off a good way to extend the vacation.  Our direct flights are usually 3 or 4 or 7pm.  We have one booked in a few weeks with Celebrity and our flight is 3:05pm. Fll

This was true at FLL last week. We were early for our flight like everyone else in both Miami and FLL ships having to get off and wait at airport. We could not check our bags with a delta and they would call what flights could get in line of or baggage drop. It was chaos. But I guess this prevented the seats at the gate being filled up. Getting to airport early was not necessary. 

It was true for our Delta flight on 2/24. They said that on busy cruise days they don't have enough room to store all of the luggage. As flights leave it opens up room and they call each flight in order. We were called a little earlier then we expected. I hope this helps!