Trivia

Holidays galore

What makes a team serious? Just because they win? It's not their fault some teams have more useless knowledge than others. 

Actually the way trivia is conducted on Oceania is one of the reasons I really like Oceania. I guess you could say I'm serious, but I usually make good friends, Happy Hour and dinner companions from our trivia teams, and always have fun with it. Over the years there have been a few team mates that you don't gel with, or that by the end of the cruise annoy you. You just gotta roll with it. 

Please don't pre judge it by the posts of a few here. As others have said, go in, try it, if it's not for you then don't play. 

ORV  I do not think it is whether they win or not  some posts here  are  quite aggressive  in tone

if they do not win  they are annoyed  at people who do not provide  the right answers

We never go  ..DH went once the team was like SUSIESAN   so he never went back

He would participate  & he is  a knowledgeable guy  but the group leader  was RIGHT & others were wrong  until the answers were revealed

It was off putting to him

I was going to suggest going  this cruise but reading here   ..maybe not 😉

YMMV

We quit team play years ago. (1) We didn’t want to be pushed on a port day to have to get back to the ship early. (2) All the cheating turned us off.

Greatest day in Trivia was when Dave Carr threw an entire team out of Trivia, and banned them from all Trivia for the rest of the cruise for cheating. With other CD I to often see questions asked and cell phones light up! So, my wife and I sometimes pop in on a Sea day to play by ourselves or help a short handed team. Totally unserious event for us. It’s only a hat if you win often enough!

I don't play for the prizes, I've pretty much got them all and play for the fun and that I enjoy trivia. 

Why cheat, that's no fun. I was on a team once where one lady had been on the previous cruise and had all the answers from the that cruise. I wasn't real down with that. Different teams have different dynamics. I've been with some I enjoy and some not so much. Especially when the person writing the answers down unilaterally decides to change the answer. The way we generally play is all players write down their answer if they have one. If someone says they're 100% sure we go with it(although some have been wrong), if not we go with the majority consensus. 

I was on another line that had a Jeopardy like contest and I had been on the previous cruise. I started missing questions on purpose as they didn't change any of the questions. I didn't feel it was fair to the others. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

+1. We like sitting in the back, just the 2 of us, and see which of us gets the answer correct. Definitely keeps the stress level low and gives us something to do on sea days after attending the lectures. 

This reminds me of a time when I was away from home -- this was way back in the summer of 1989.  A trivia game was in progress, and I was sitting near by reading a book.  But I kept on coming up with the right answers as asides -- this was not a "contest", just a fun game for all.  So they made me join the group ... and after that I had few answers!

That's probably why we don't do Trivia on board ...

Mura

2 minutes ago, Mura said:

This reminds me of a time when I was away from home -- this was way back in the summer of 1989.  A trivia game was in progress, and I was sitting near by reading a book.  But I kept on coming up with the right answers as asides -- this was not a "contest", just a fun game for all.  So they made me join the group ... and after that I had few answers!

That's probably why we don't do Trivia on board ...

Mura

That's the fun part about sitting in the back. Sometimes we guess 70% and sometimes we guess 30% of the answers. The best part is we're having fun together without any of the stress. ☺️

It’s easy to see some people have the attitude I have, but many don’t. If it’s stressful it’s not fun. I don’t feel like trying to figure out who’s too serious and who’s not and since DH won’t join me, I think I'll skip it.  I go on a cruise to relax and have fun and this just doesn’t sound that way to me.  Maybe I’ll stick to scarf typing😂....no stress or pressure there!!😊

On 3/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, HeatherInFlorida said:

I actually thought that was what cruising was, but I would never dare go to afternoon Trivia having seen how unwelcome I could easily be. 

I'd suggest joining the competition for the first few sessions.  There are serious teams vying for O points, and then there are teams who are just there to have fun.  Not every team has to have eight contributing players,  Teams of two or four can play.  And on some port days, if the regular teammates aren't back by 4:30, some of the teams will merge or invite stragglers or lurkers, especially because the winning scores tend to be very close, with only a point or two separating them, and you never know if that additional player will contribute a correct answer.  We won one match because two teammates knew what the "HP" in HP Sauce stood for -- we Yanks had no idea!!!

• Thanks 1

Wow! I'm amazed that trivia is such a big issue. As others have said, I have plenty of other things to do on a cruise than trying to win enough points for a tee shirt or getting worked up about the others who do.

Each to their own of course, I have no problem with people who wish to participate but I find it odd that one of the main bar/lounge areas is used for trivia during the evening. That sounds a bit restrictive. I'll certainly be avoiding that part of the ship for the duration when we are on board Marina in April 2020., but it somewhat limits your options.

i prefer the Regent format of collecting question sheets, just a handful of q's - 6 max, and answers being given in a small section of a lunge during pm tea. If 20 people participate, that's about the max in our experience. There is nothing really competitive or serious about it but you can win points in the same way. That's fun. What is being described on here - up to 200 people involved - sounds really bizarre to me tbh. That is a major event.

1 hour ago, Pies4u said:

Wow! I'm amazed that trivia is such a big issue. As others have said, I have plenty of other things to do on a cruise than trying to win enough points for a tee shirt or getting worked up about the others who do.

Each to their own of course, I have no problem with people who wish to participate but I find it odd that one of the main bar/lounge areas is used for trivia during the evening. That sounds a bit restrictive. I'll certainly be avoiding that part of the ship for the duration when we are on board Marina in April 2020., but it somewhat limits your options.

i prefer the Regent format of collecting question sheets, just a handful of q's - 6 max, and answers being given in a small section of a lunge during pm tea. If 20 people participate, that's about the max in our experience. There is nothing really competitive or serious about it but you can win points in the same way. That's fun. What is being described on here - up to 200 people involved - sounds really bizarre to me tbh. That is a major event.

You're reading way to much into all these comments. But you are correct, afternoon trivia on sea days, which is usually held in the main theater, is a big event. However, on the ones we've gone to where we sit in the back and quietly participate, most teams are having a great time! Is there someone every once in awhile that challenges an answer, yes. But, when that happens, it's just more entertainment for the rest of us to see how the CD handles it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1