YC inside or Aurea balcony?

utopiahereicome

I am booked on Seaside for my first MSC cruise this May, and this will be my first solo cruise. Currently have an Aurea balcony on deck 9 booked, but a YC inside just became available.  I typically spend quite a bit of time on a balcony, but it looks like YC offers many outdoor spaces so maybe I would not miss having a balcony?  Have never had an inside room before but the pics of YC inside look nice.  Of course, the YC inside is also $1,800 more 😳 than the Aurea balcony...

but the idea of less crowds is so appealing as my goal for this cruise is R&R (May not even get off at ports, been many times).  Have sailed once in Haven on NCL and it was terrific, but was with my granddaughter and did not spend as much time as I would have liked in the Haven. Also never used the services of the butler or the concierge , so that’s not important to me.  

Would love to hear anyone’s opinion, especially if you have stayed in a YC inside cabin. 

I haven't tried a YC inside yet but our next 2 cruises are in insides;  my only misgiving is not having natural light in the cabin.  But, as you say, there are plenty of outdoor spaces (plus the sanctuary of the Top Sail Lounge with its wonderful, forward-facing views) so there's great places to spend time outside of the cabin.

I would have recommended YC over Aurea 'til I saw the difference in price you have to pay 😱  Certainly, if you're looking for peace, the YC is the place to be - it's a tranquil haven and very sedate.  The atmosphere has to be experienced to be understood.

Given the price differential (how long is the cruise?) as well as your stated preference for spending time on the balcony and not using butler or concierge services, I would say stick with the Aurea balcony.

I say this because with the money you save you could enhance your dining experiences (if that's a concern) in the speciality restaurants and have plenty of change left over. With Aurea you also get thermal suite access and a number of other perks as you will no doubt know about (dedicated sunbathing deck for one).

If the price difference was less, then it becomes a harder choice, as yes you would probably spend less time in your cabin when in the YC and make use of the many wonderful 'public' areas. But honestly, $1800 is the price of a whole other cruise, no?

• Like 1

I have to agree with the previous expressed sentiments.  As wonderful as YC is, in my world it doesn't justify another $1800 on top of the cost of Aurea - no way!!

Edited by Beamafar

We chose a larger Aurea Suite over a smaller YC suite for our last MSC cruise and it was the perfect decision for us. The generous size of our stateroom was wonderful and we found ourselves spending more time there relaxing and enjoying it. And while the list of Aurea perks may not be as extensive as on YC, it was still great and it more than covered our needs. 

7 hours ago, utopiahereicome said:

I am booked on Seaside for my first MSC cruise this May, and this will be my first solo cruise. Currently have an Aurea balcony on deck 9 booked, but a YC inside just became available.  I typically spend quite a bit of time on a balcony, but it looks like YC offers many outdoor spaces so maybe I would not miss having a balcony?  Have never had an inside room before but the pics of YC inside look nice.  Of course, the YC inside is also $1,800 more 😳 than the Aurea balcony...

but the idea of less crowds is so appealing as my goal for this cruise is R&R (May not even get off at ports, been many times).  Have sailed once in Haven on NCL and it was terrific, but was with my granddaughter and did not spend as much time as I would have liked in the Haven. Also never used the services of the butler or the concierge , so that’s not important to me.  

Would love to hear anyone’s opinion, especially if you have stayed in a YC inside cabin. 

We stayed in a YIN on Meraviglia, although we most often do insides so that was an easy decision. We thoroughly enjoyed the YC experience, it was amazing. We enjoyed that so much we then booked YC in Preziosa, which doesn't have insides but only balcony 'suites'. Without a doubt we would have gone YC inside again, if the ship had them, because it is the whole YC enclave experience that we love! Although we have sailed NCL many times we have never done Haven, but what I read often on MSC threads is that YC trumps Haven in every regard except stateroom size.

So, in that context, there is no doubt in my mind that you would thoroughly appreciate the YC experience. My concern is your statement that you usually spend quite a bit of time on a balcony.....however, the top pool area in YC is relatively quiet and the waiters there will serve you continually with your preference of cocktails/drinks/ice cold bottled water/cooling towels on hot days. You might consider that to be your 'balcony'....there will be others whom you might wish to befriend, or not, but no one and nothing would be 'in your face'. We consider it to be a most wonderful experience spending time on that deck.

One other thing, the price difference seems surprising and that took me to our UK websites....here, for every date in May (using solo occupancy) where a YIN is available, pricing for the YIN is identical to the Aurea balcony. So, given you can find the R&R you wish to have on your balcony, like others I am not convinced of the value in paying so much more. That said, you are the only one who knows your finances and you have said it is your first solo cruise....so maybe a real treat to yourself is in order!

For comparison my off season week last year on Seaside in YC Deluxe was $3650, at the time a YC Interior was $800 less.  While a Winter season week in a YC Interior was $2600, with the Deluxe priced $1400 more.  Seaside YC prices have gone up a bit, but I have still found YC Interiors I booked next Winter for about $2800 per week.  Those prices are all for two people and include taxes/fees.  As much as I like the YC I can't see paying $1800 more for a YCI over an Aurea Balcony.

I'm still not sure of MSC's strategy with the YC interiors, but I feel it is different than regular cabins.  I'm pretty sure they hold back inventory to push sales of the Deluxe suites.  The only times I've seen them at reasonable deals is very early when the itinerary is first offered, then they all seem to disappear for a while.  Then as final payment nears suddenly a bunch will reappear at what I consider an high price, but since the YC Deluxe have usually (at least what they are willing to show) sold well so that only a few cabins remain they are now higher priced so the difference and the new pricing of the Interiors looks more reasonable.

If you really want to splurge...go with the YC inside cabin. The YC is an experience everyone should try atleast once. Although we had a YC balcony cabin...we found we used the balcony less than any previous cruise we were on. This is because we spent so much time at the Pool area and also in Top Sail lounge with the ambiance,  spectacular views and service....

Edited by lcpagejr

46 minutes ago, Até said:

I'm still not sure of MSC's strategy with the YC interiors, but I feel it is different than regular cabins.  I'm pretty sure they hold back inventory to push sales of the Deluxe suites.  The only times I've seen them at reasonable deals is very early when the itinerary is first offered, then they all seem to disappear for a while.  Then as final payment nears suddenly a bunch will reappear at what I consider an high price, but since the YC Deluxe have usually (at least what they are willing to show) sold well so that only a few cabins remain they are now higher priced so the difference and the new pricing of the Interiors looks more reasonable.

I have noticed similar things.  I think (guess) they segregate cabins between the 7 day and 14 day cruises.  YIN seems to be selling relatively fast early on for the 7 day cruises, but closer to departure MSC seems to move cabins from the 14 day cruises to the 2 7 day cruises, creating availability.

42 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

I have noticed similar things.  I think (guess) they segregate cabins between the 7 day and 14 day cruises.  YIN seems to be selling relatively fast early on for the 7 day cruises, but closer to departure MSC seems to move cabins from the 14 day cruises to the 2 7 day cruises, creating availability.

Possible, but I really think they just hide most of the YC Interior inventory and release them later as they know they will still probably sell out.  Look at June 1 Seaside where five YC Interiors suddenly pop up at once with a price I would call gouging.  Yet they will still eventually sell because they are cheaper than a Deluxe.  And I bet after 30 days out the HC ones on deck 18 will suddenly become available.  [ETA: while it's normal for HC cabins to pop up late in a sailing, MSC will usually offer them as soon as all the other non HC cabins in that category sell out.  But I've seen cases where there are no YC Interior cabins available for months, then only the HC YCI pop up very last minute.  From what I've seen that is not the normal MSC cabin policy.]  I think they just don't want them competing with the Deluxe cabin sales.

I will say that some sailings' YC do truly sell out early.  But, watch just about any normal sailing less than four months out where there are only a few YC Deluxe left.  Different Deluxe cabins will pop in and out of inventory as final payment approaches, in an thin attempt to hide the fact there are several still unsold.  I saw this on my last Seaside YC sailing and on the ship I talked with a trusted manager who admitted they had 15 unsold Deluxe suites the week before our sailing, then a couple days before sailing they were all filled (upsells by corporate).  On that sailing three YC interiors popped into inventory after 30 days out.

Edited by Até

For $1800 difference?? Absolutely stick with your Aurea balcony. Larger room, balcony, etc. Private sundeck with bar, hot tubs, couches, etc , thermal suite plus massage, MyChoice flexible dinner time, etc.  YC is great, but not worth that much price difference, IMO. We recently did a back to back, one week Aurea balcony, one week Yacht Club balcony.  There was definitely not enough of a material difference between the two to justify $1800 more!  Maybe $500 or less, after that - especially moving to an inside - you can upgrade t

Your drink package to the highest, eat in the specialty restaurants every night, have room service as much as you want (covered by the highest drink package again! Lol), upgrade to highest internet package and still come out ahead.  

Given the two and the price differential - I'd absolutely be sticking to my Aurea balcony cabin.  Especially those deck 9 ones that are huge balconies with full size loungers, table, chairs , etc.  They're fab.  

• Like 2