Coffee Package Usage & Expiration?

RJGallagher1955

We're taking our second ever cruise and so am new to much of this. Our first and only cruise was Princess and we still have a leftover punch card from the old program that I know expires this year. My question now is about the new card program.

We are on the Emerald Princess March 26 north from LA to Vancouver. Since we have family and friends in Vancouver and Seattle, we are staying a couple of weeks and then taking the Emerald back to LA from Vancouver on April 15.

I am curious if we purchase the coffee package is it only good for the one cruise north or can I use it on the southbound cruise if any is leftover? Or do I have to buy a new one for each cruise?

Thanks. 

7 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Unfortunately Princess no longer allows coffee credits to be carried over to another cruise. 

Use them on the cruise where it was purchased or lose them. 😢

We'll, that's no fun ☹️ Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Do you have enough punches left to ration the old card and make it last for your 2 cruises?

Or check prices for the IC for the type of coffee and quantity that you would drink on a cruise. Does your daily usage  make it worth it to buy a coffee card?

Finally, check out the coffee in the MDRs and buffet. Is it acceptable for your taste buds?

You can read all of the terms & conditions for the New Grounds Coffee Package on the Princess website which includes:

• The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.

We still have punches left if we can find the card.

I know I'm going to drink coffee at the IC since our room is right next door!!! (P340) 

But I'm not sure that on a 3-day cruise the card would be worth it since I can drink the regular coffee from the MDR or buffet. I can live without the high priced stuff, it's just that I like a strong black coffee.  :classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

You can read all of the terms & conditions for the New Grounds Coffee Package on the Princess website which includes:

• The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.

Thanks, I looked, but I guess I didn't look hard enough. 

4 minutes ago, RJGallagher1955 said:

I know I'm going to drink coffee at the IC since our room is right next door!!! (P340) 

But I'm not sure that on a 3-day cruise the card would be worth it since I can drink the regular coffee from the MDR or buffet. I can live without the high priced stuff, it's just that I like a strong black coffee.  :classic_smile:

For 3 days the card is definitely not worth purchasing.

One real downside to the current pricing is that it does not differentiate by length of cruise.   In the past you could carry cards forward so that was less of an issue.  Now it is difficult to justify a coffee card on a short 3-5 day journey and you may be better off buying coffee as you go.

49 minutes ago, RJGallagher1955 said:

Some who like strong black coffee bring packets of Starbucks VIA to add to the regular coffee made from concentrate.

On a 3 day cruise the coffee program would not be cost effective for me & if desiring IC brewed coffee would pay by the cup.  Maybe on a 7 day one coffee program would work for us...brewed coffee for me & 15 specialty coffees for my wife & I to share which is permissible based on the T&Cs.

23 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

One real downside to the current pricing is that it does not differentiate by length of cruise.   In the past you could carry cards forward so that was less of an issue.  Now it is difficult to justify a coffee card on a short 3-5 day journey and you may be better off buying coffee as you go.

when the coffee package was first rolled out - Princess stated it would be adjusted based on length of cruise

yeah, haven't seen that yet - for the shorter cruises .. anyone else ?

13 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

One real downside to the current pricing is that it does not differentiate by length of cruise.

I was unhappy that the number of specialty coffees in the package did not vary by itinerary as stated in the T&Cs.

The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate”.

They called me after emailing my unhappiness that whether it’s a short or long cruise it’s still 15 specialty coffees.  After checking with those managing the program, I was told that numbers vary by itinerary only applied to a few cruise itineraries because they determined there were few coffee drinkers.  To me their statement is deceptive & that the number should be based on the length of the cruise & not limited to a few itineraries.

Although that’s fallen on deaf ears & nothing has changed unless there’s a substantial drop in coffee program purchases on 7 day or shorter cruises.  It’s ridiculous to not have the number of specialty coffees be based on the length of the cruise.

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when the coffee package was first rolled out - Princess stated it would be adjusted based on length of cruise

yeah, haven't seen that yet - for the shorter cruises .. anyone else ?

Agree...read my post about what they said to me which is ridiculous.

I heard unused coffee card punches were being honored till the end of 2018. When we sailed in Dec 2018, our coffee card had unused punches and they were honoring them at the IC. In Feb, 2019, on the Grand ,I saw someone using their punch card but I did not ask what was happening there.

I would try to find your old punch card and take it. It will not hurt to ask if you can still get brewed coffee with it. The worse thing that can happen is sorry, no can do. But if you come across a barista that will honor it, don't forget them at the end of your cruise.

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Although that’s fallen on deaf ears & nothing has changed unless there’s a substantial drop in coffee program purchases on 7 day or shorter cruises.  It’s ridiculous to not have the number of specialty coffees be based on the length of the cruise.

I agree 100%. It is ridiculous for us to be limited to such a small number of punches on a 7 day (or shorter) cruise. My husband and I have 2 to 3 specialty  coffees a day.  3 day cruise x 2 people x 3 coffees should have 18 punches. A 7 day cruise, 42 punches. For our upcoming 15 day TA, wow I need a calculator. 

Princess terms and conditions, clearly state the specialty coffees can be shared. While CC posters often quote CC made up rules that there is no sharing -- on this one I am going with Princess T&Cs.

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I dont think you can get free brewed coffee with an old card . Anyone had any success?

Free brewed coffee without using a card punch after the cruise where it’s purchased was never allowed & is still prohibited.

• Free brewed coffee is available only on the voyage of issue.

EDIT:  Opps...overlooked your question being answered 

Edited by Astro Flyer

17 hours ago, RJGallagher1955 said:

Maybe a small jar of instant coffee to make your buffet coffee stronger? Or you could bring some Starbucks or other name brand packets and make your own. Hot water is available in the buffet and in the MDR (from the waiter).