Doors

I am working on my door decorations right now.

I am doing an "Under the Sea" theme. I bought the following items at the dollar store:

Foam poster board

Blue cellophane wrapping paper

Die cut letters in red

Kids fishing set 

Bag of pearls

Sparkly red ribbon

I cut a large piece of the wrapping paper and crumbled it up to get it wrinkly and then I wrapped it around the board to make it look like it is under water. Used tan card stock and cut it kinda wavy and attached it to the bottom of the board to look like the ocean floor. I printed out some fish and shell pictures and I am going to cut those out and affix them to the board. I will put the pearls inside some clam shells that I printed out. I also have a few real sea shells that I will attach and also the plastic fish from the fishing set. I am going to use the letters to put our names and the ship and sail dates. I will come back and post a pic when I get it done.

My mom (sailing on the same cruise) is doing a board like this as well, but she is using silver and light blue because this trip is for my parents silver anniversary and the blue was their wedding color. She is going to put their names in silver and "1994-2019". She also got silver bows to put on it. If she will let me, I will post a pic of hers as well.

We like the idea of the foam boards because we can make them up ahead of time (kills time waiting for our trip) and they will slide down into our suitcases so we can just slide them out and hang them up with command strips and not use a whole lot of cruise time decorating our doors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OCruisers said:

Just a word of caution about what you put on your cabin  doors:

Things sometimes "walk away" so don't put anything on them of value to you.  :classic_ohmy:

Good advice...thank you!

All of that stuff is from the dollar store and the pictures are copies printed on regular computer paper 😉

1 minute ago, emoorehead said:

Good advice...thank you!

All of that stuff is from the dollar store and the pictures are copies printed on regular computer paper 😉

Smart of you!  

Looks great and if anything "walks away"  it will not be a problem.  

• Thanks 1

This was ours on the Elation a few weeks ago.  The wooden sign was made from wooden background downloads and then Photoshop to create the signs.  After I printed it on regular paper, the pieces were attached to heavy stock paper for classrooms and cut out.  We used command strips to attach to the door.

46670533914_4c35fdbe4f_k.jpg

I've never done much with my doors.  We tried some word magnets & refrigerator magnets on Magic, but they didn't stay on very well - just not strong enough.  So now, I buy the dizzy danglers and hang them on the mailbox.  They come with a small plastic hook and are intended to hang from the ceiling - kind of swirly things.  I get them at Walmart in a package of 3 for a couple of bucks.  The only purpose really is to help me find my cabin.  This year there are 5 cabins, so we have a different color for each one.  

I like the idea of door decorating, but I just don't want to take the time to do it.  I'd be fine if one of my travel companions wanted to do all the doors, but I think they're probably not going to take the time either.

Image result for dizzy danglers

1 hour ago, dmdiver said:

So now, I buy the dizzy danglers and hang them on the mailbox.  They come with a small plastic hook and are intended to hang from the ceiling - kind of swirly things.  I get them at Walmart in a package of 3 for a couple of bucks.

I thought dizzy danglers is when a drunk guy streaks across Lido.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 9:17 PM, OCruisers said:

Just a word of caution about what you put on your cabin  doors:

Things sometimes "walk away" so don't put anything on them of value to you.  :classic_ohmy:

I can attest to that. I had this most awesome sun hanging from my mailbox, went missing day 2.  My room steward however, happen to see where it ended up but he could not steal it back because he could not prove it was mine and re stealing out of a room would certainly get him in big trouble!  So I wrote a note and taped it to my mailbox saying  " You can steal my sun but you can't steal my fun!  (true story)

• Like 2

I can attest to that. I had this most awesome sun hanging from my mailbox, went missing day 2.  My room steward however, happen to see where it ended up but he could not steal it back because he could not prove it was mine and re stealing out of a room would certainly get him in big trouble!  So I wrote a note and taped it to my mailbox saying  " You can steal my sun but you can't steal my fun!  (true story)

I guess the only option, if we have a nice decoration that we want to take back home, is to permanently put our name on it somewhere and hope that it’s found, like in your case. If it were me, I would’ve probably reported it to security anyway just to see if there’s anything they can do. Can’t stand a thief...and a fellow cruise passenger stealing decorations is just pathetic and sad. Lower than low. I mean, do they really want something like that so badly? Do they steal yard decorations from their neighbors too?

8 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I like that we got to see your ship the other day and now get to see how it fits in. Nicely done!

Oh that's right....from the other thread.....lol. Yeah, making the ship was a great afternoon at work. Now I just have to figure out what I will do at my desk to kill time.

Thanks!