New to MSC

pandabebe

After years of cruising Royal and Celebrity my family and I are trying out MSC for the first time this August (Bellissima from Marseille).  We're excited to try a new cruise line but also a bit nervous as we're not sure what to expect.  Any tips/suggestions would be great!  Thanks!

I am about to do my second cruise with MSC. The first one was 2011 we did the Mediterranean. We cruised on the Musica which was and still is the most elegant ship I have even been on as far as looks. The staff was friendly and attentive. Food wasn't available all/most of the night like Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, or Carnival. Meaning you couldn't find something to eat after say 11:00 pm other than some very dried up pizza. That's really my only complaint.

Our itinerary was originally for Egypt, Greece, and Turkey but there was an uprising in Egypt so we were rerouted to Croatia, loved it! Still haven't made it to Egypt.

25 minutes ago, Dream1 said:

... you couldn't find something to eat after say 11:00 pm other than some very dried up pizza. That's really my only complaint.

There is practically no demand for food after 11pm as most Europeans eat late.  As Europeans make up the majority of passengers, that's the demographic that MSC mainly caters to - especially on Med itineraries.

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

There is practically no demand for food after 11pm as most Europeans eat late.  As Europeans make up the majority of passengers, that's the demographic that MSC mainly caters to - especially on Med itineraries.

So I've learned. LOL 

My next cruise with them will be August to Cuba. Looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, Dream1 said:

So I've learned. LOL 

My next cruise with them will be August to Cuba. Looking forward to it.

We had a wonderful time on Armonia (as, I believe, you've already read about  😉)  I was expecting more Americans/Canadians onboard than there were;  it was still very much a case of pre-dominantly Europeans.

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We had a wonderful time on Armonia (as, I believe, you've already read about  😉)  I was expecting more Americans/Canadians onboard than there were;  it was still very much a case of pre-dominantly Europeans.

That's interesting, I would have been expecting the same.

On 3/11/2019 at 6:33 AM, Markanddonna said:

Spend some time on this board, but realize that MSC has generally improved over the past few years. Here is my detailed review as a first time MSC cruiser:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=648606

Thanks for the great (and positive) review.  We will be on our first MSC cruise next month.  It will be on the Musica out of South Africa.  We have a small group of friend joining us - two American couples and two Canadian couples so we will have our own build in English speaking group 🙂  From what I've been reading it will be a new experience.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, Markanddonna said:

Spend some time on this board, but realize that MSC has generally improved over the past few years. Here is my detailed review as a first time MSC cruiser:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=648606

Thanks for the review.  I've seen a lot of negative reviews on line so did question whether I made the right choice, but will be going in open minded so I can make the most of this trip.

How does embarkation work when people can board through the itinerary/

2 minutes ago, pandabebe said:

I'm not sure what you mean but perhaps are you referring to the time they assign you for boarding?  Disregard that as only a suggestion. They don't ask when you arrive.  You may come to the terminal anytime after 10:00 AM.  I'm sure you can arrive earlier, but you may be standing outside!

11 minutes ago, pandabebe said:

Thanks for the review.  I've seen a lot of negative reviews on line so did question whether I made the right choice, but will be going in open minded so I can make the most of this trip.

It works in exactly the same way as for closed loops - the one plus is that the ship doesn't have to clear before the embarkation process begins.

11 minutes ago, pandabebe said:

Many Negative reviews are from cruisers who expect MSC to be the same as RCI NCL  etc its Not americanized its European , many of the Belissima reviews were from cruisers who expected a new ship to be perfect, it wouldnt be and you cant expect it to be so  dont take too much notice of the negative  reviews at the moment Do your own research into MSC and what is or isnt included in the cost  on the ship research the ports of call too

Many cruisers are use to certain cruise lines and a certain way of cruising and many do none or very little research and this is why many encounter things to moan and complain about .

MSC has many different nationalities on board so announcements are made a multiple languages 5/6 maybe as ive never counted, the same goes for the introduction to the shows again in multiple languages and as for the shows because of this they are more visual  based with acrobats and ariel artists, dancing , roller skaters , jugglers , contortionists etc many complaints are that shows are quite repetitive,  I suppose they contain a lot of the same elements but they are all different and can be quite mind blowing and mesmerizing, singing is often in English or you might have some in Italian and some opera. Again because of multiple nationalities the entertainment lacks quizzes and comedians there is a lot of dancing and again visual entertainment ice and fruit carving, cocktail making etc. 

Also with many MSC itineraries there is embarking and disembarking at every port so there is no sail away party (because every night is sail away)    so the ship is never totally full and there will be a muster drill at each port (you only do the one though) so you will notice this and some bars might be closed for that brief period. MSC are not big on giving port or shopping talks or info like some cruise lines so always best to do your own research.

Many reviewers complain about "rude" passengers shoving or not queuing its true there is less queuing but ive never been pushed or shoved. And Europeans can be quite loud and stay up late, hence the late dining times 9.30pm, 10.15pm  even 

Smoking is still quite a habit in Europe , And there might be a lot of men in very skimpy swimming  trunks by the pool.

Service is another thing you read about in reviews, myself ive never had a problem with service, its not so in your face like some other cruise lines you might need to catch the eye of wait staff for a drink or give a little wave of the cruise card , and at dinner im perfectly capable of pouring my own wine if its not automatically topped up by the very busy waiters. With MSC staff they are very accomodating its always best to say what you want and ask for what you need rather than expect certain things to be offered ,also be clear,  things can get lost in translation so to speak I read one review where a guy complained the waiter didnt know what a G&T was, Im sure had he have said a Gin & Tonic please it would have been understood.

Also the in cabin TV doesnt have many English channels 

Some activities also cost extra on board or some items of food, the ice cream bars or chocolate bars for instance so again its best to do your research .

As for Embarkation its no different than any other embarkation, apart from its often easier because its less busy as the whole ship will not be doing it at the same time 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 11:07 PM, pandabebe said:

Any tips/suggestions would be great!  Thanks!

Do a status match.

If you have a good status with Royal or Celebrity MSC will match the level. Even at classic (entry level which is normally not issued until after your first cruise) you will get 5% off which can be applied even if you have already booked.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, mickey89 said:

Don’t forget Kids sail FREE on MSC so it’s very much a family biased cruise. 

Not on the cruise we just did.  Would have been nice, though.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:16 PM, ziggyuk said:

Do a status match.

If you have a good status with Royal or Celebrity MSC will match the level. Even at classic (entry level which is normally not issued until after your first cruise) you will get 5% off which can be applied even if you have already booked.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

Is this for US customers only?

Just now, sandy999 said:

Is this for US customers only?

No - UK customers can status-match, too.  Since MSC has updated the UK site I can't find the relevant page.  Here's what it says on the Ireland site: 

559731001_ScreenShot2019-04-02at20_00_34.thumb.png.57415ed62c9ebc1ca25704d43e71df5a.png

2 hours ago, sandy999 said:

Many thanks all, just applied against Platinum on Princess.  Will 5% be paid by TA or onto cruise account?

It should be discounted off your cruise price by your TA.  Best of luck with the match!