Escape "LISTING" cruise 3-3-19

graphicguy

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

By this time, it was announced that the cabins were ready (yay!).  Just a quick update, I booked this cabin about a month ago, or about 4 weeks before sailing. I had been scoping out some cruises from NCL, Celebrity, RCCL, and to a lesser extent, Carnival.  Celebrity was kind of interesting with their drink promos, but they were a tad more expensive.  I had taken one Celebrity Cruise several years ago, and let's just say it was not very exciting.  I'm sure it  has its appeal.  Just that the highlight was the glass blowing demonstration.  I can't in all honesty say that my thrill meter jumped at all by glass blowing.

Ended up, NCL had the best deal.  $2,200 all in for a mini-suite with large balcony with all the perks (drinks package, dining package with 3 specialty restaurants, 250 minutes internet, $50/cabin excursion credit).  That was about the same price as a regular balcony cabin.  What's not to like?  A GTY cabin (no perks) was around $1,900 and change.  Even a solo cabin was $1,700 with no perks.  Here's my math.  With the drink package you pay around $20/day for tips/service charges.  All the drinks I want are included (I like Bulleit Bourbon, Tanqurey Gin and Tiutos vodka...all included).  I DID NOT find a beer that WASN'T included.

If you don't have a drink package, you can "pay as you go" or buy a drink package once on board ($99/day).  To me, the drink package that IS NOT included is the worst way to go.  You automatically add $700 to your cruise, without even including tips.  Pay as you go....if you only drink beer, the ones I liked ran $7/ea.  Craft beers are more.  But, for simplicity's sake, let's say they were $10/ea with tip.  5 beers/day?  That's $50/day.  I'd say wine would be about the same.  That's $350/week.

Mixed drinks?  $12/ea plus tip.  5/day?  $60/day plus tip.  Let's say that figures out to be $500/week with tip.

Big assumptions made  for only 5 drinks/day.  I would have at least a couple of beers in the afternoon while running around....maybe try one "drink of the day".  I'd have a couple of Bulleits, or Tanquereys, or, Titos before dinner, and a couple of Martinis at night....one before a show, and one after.  Let's say 7 drinks/day at an average price of $11/ea...that's $77/day + $15 tip= $92/day or $644/week if I were pay as you go.

The math is pretty easy.  The drink package they include is least expensive.  Pay as you go would be next up from that.  Buying the drink package on board is the worst way to go.

You can adjust up or down and see what works for you.  The above works for me.

sorry for such a specific question, but did you happen to see if Makers Mark was under the $15 threshold? My traveling buddy only drinks that, ha!

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Your writing style is enjoyable, well done.

Very glad you and the other passengers overall did ok with the ship listing.

Looking forward to the rest of your review, cheers.  ☺🥂

Thanks...glad you’re enjoying it.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:47 PM, graphicguy said:

Let's start with the "pre-cruise".  I've been traveling solo quite a bit recently.  After an unfortunate split with my wife a few years ago, I'm kinda getting used to this solo cruising thing.  It ain't bad, at all.

Thanks for sharing your cruise and listing adventures with us. Solo cruises are the best!

• Like 1

To sum up just the first day of the cruise (whew!), it was probably the most interesting beginning of a cruise (or most interesting event on ANY cruise) I’ve ever experienced.  Sorta like a movie.  It started off uneventful, through the shock of the VIBE pricing and getting good food and drinks (which made me happy), it crescendo’d into what I’ll from here on out refer to as “the list”.

As these things go, looking back on “the list”, most passengers viewed it humorously as the cruise wore on.....recounting exactly what they were doing when it happened.  Being this is a G rated forum, I’ll refrain from telling some of the steamier activities I was told about.  Some even told me they slept right through it and didn’t know what had happened until someone mentioned it during breakfast.

Then, we heard it hit the media.  NCL has like 3-4 different news channels on their TVs.  Tuning into one in particular (I believe it was Good Morning America), we watched with amusement regarding their re-enactment and some passenger drama surrounding “the list”. 

Of course, I posted here.  And seeing the reactions (and drama) reported was (ahem) “interesting”.

As these things go, it wasn’t nearly as bad as some reported, and for those who slept through it, it wasn’t bad, at all.  And, it probably affected others who had visions of the Titanic, than it did with those of us who adapted the c’est la vie stance.

Again, sailing in the winter, in the Atlantic, you know things are not going to be smooth.  Those of us who have sailed for awhile, particularly out of NYC know this.  Some don’t and those are the ones who reacted hysterically to “the list”.  Some....well....they seemed to like the attention and reveled in the drama.

I’ll carry on with the rest of the cruise review......

• Haha 1

So, now that we're past the "list".  I had two bottles of champaign that, although fell to the ground and rolled around the cabin, were still intact.  I popped the cork on one (even though I'm not a champaign drinker) and took several big 'ole swigs, then dropped back into bed.

Also, I picked up the offending strawberries....

What was left of my balcony furniture....

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

Awoke early in the a.m. with my steward knocking on my door and was surprisingly in better condition than I thought I'd be....a little sore....a couple of bruises (mainly from people grabbing my arms with a death grip as I was helping them up the night before).  Not bad, all things considered.  Steward helped me pick up any remaining ice on the floor that I missed the night before.  He located my iPhone (which I had bought less than a month ago to the tune of $1,100) and it worked just fine after being thrown half way across the cabin.

I thanked him for what he did the night before (he said he was up all night) and for being there in the a.m. to help me get things in a semblance of order so early.  

I showered and grabbed breakfast at the Garden Cafe about 8:00 a.m.  It was easy to get a table as it isn't that crowded.  Obviously, all the conversations were centered around the night before, but everyone I talked to were in good spirits, looking forward to the rest of the cruise.  More than a few times we all said, "it only gets better from here".  True words.

Saw these "sickness bags" at the stairways on each deck.

IMG_0353.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy

Breakfast done...time for the M&G in the Brew House.....exploring the venue a little more than I had the previous day....

It was well attended.  Crew (can't remember all who were there, but lots of high level hotel, services and housekeeping staff) were in force.  Captain couldn't make it.  As it was explained to me, he was still quite busy making sure the ship was "OK" (which it was).  To a person, they all apologized, which seemed rather silly since they can't control the weather.  All of them personally came around and asked if each of us suffered any injury, not matter how small.  All of us said about the same thing.  A bruise here, a bump there, but in good shape.  The Ass't Hotel Director saw the two bruises on each of my forearms.  I explained to her they weren't from the "list" but from other passengers holding on tightly.  She said I should go to the infirmary to get them checked.  I assured her I would.  I lied!  I didn't!  They're bruises fer' cryin' out loud!

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

As these things go, looking back on “the list”, most passengers viewed it humorously as the cruise wore on.....recounting exactly what they were doing when it happened.  Being this is a G rated forum, I’ll refrain from telling some of the steamier activities I was told about.

I could see a "List" possible helping out in one or more positions LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I believe The District is Adults only. However, did you see young kids (ie. <5 years old with parents) allowed in there? I am asking because I am going on the March 24th voyage with an 8 month old and almost 4 year old. Thanks for the Review! I'm enjoying it! 

Edited by DJHamma514

1 hour ago, DJHamma514 said:

I believe The District is Adults only. However, did you see young kids (ie. <5 years old with parents) allowed in there? I am asking because I am going on the March 24th voyage with an 8 month old and almost 4 year old. Thanks for the Review! I'm enjoying it! 

When my wife and I were on the Escape in September their was a sign on a stand by that doors that said Adults Only or Over 18 Only......something to that effect. I don't ever remember seeing kids in there. The guy playing the piano was PG13 at times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The District Brew House is adults only.  They have a sign outside that states that only 18 years and older are allowed in.

I was there every day and never saw any children.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, graphicguy said:

In addition, got a dinner for 2 at LeBistro and $200 OBC credit from AMEX Platinum.  

Can I ask a quick question about this?  I recently (less than a year ago) opened a Delta Platinum AMEX.  I paid the deposit for my upcoming cruise ($50/pp) with my plain old MC.  If I pay the balance of the cruise with my AMEX, is this an automatic perk from them?  Do I have to do anything special to get it?  

Thanks!! 

6 minutes ago, TravelFarTravelOften said:

Can I ask a quick question about this?  I recently (less than a year ago) opened a Delta Platinum AMEX.  I paid the deposit for my upcoming cruise ($50/pp) with my plain old MC.  If I pay the balance of the cruise with my AMEX, is this an automatic perk from them?  Do I have to do anything special to get it?  

Thanks!! 

I believe the only way to get the bigger OBC is to use the AMEX Platinum (not the other branded cards).  Not sure if that’s changed, but I know that was true when I last checked a couple of years ago.

As far as being able to cash in with just a deposit or pay for the entire cruise with AMEX, not sure of that.  I would imagine to get $200-$300 of OBC from AMEX Platinum, you would have to pay for the deposit and cruise with the card.

Best to check with your Travel Agent on those questions, however.  I do know you don’t have to book your cruise through AMEX Travel to get the benefits.  My TA is independent and allows me to get the OBC whenever I use my Platinum card to pay.

The M&G was well attended...probably 40-50 people.  NCL provided entertainment, the beers featured at the Brew House, and some finger foods.  I even met a gentleman who won $12K on the slots the night before (confirmed by another guest who was there to witness it).  He said he slept soundly during the "list", too.

With the M&G behind, I decided to explore a little more.  Ever changing chandeliere, SugarCane Mojito Bar (side note, this is the first new(er) NCL ship I noticed which DID NOT have the ICE BAR).....

IMG_0333.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

IMG_0354.jpeg

21 hours ago, DancerCouple2014 said:

Pretty please, if you get a chance, can you take a picture of the menu at Sugarcane?  I'm wondering what mojito options are covered under the UBP.  Thanks!

Sorry...I'm no longer on the ship.

As most do (OK...maybe it's just me), I try to get the "lay of the land" on any ship I haven't sailed before, which was true of the Escape.

It's a well laid out ship.  Decks 6,7,8 hold the entertainment and most of the dining options.  I did note that the Escape did away with the Shanghai Noodle Restaurant.  That restaurant used to be a "go to" staple for me to get fresh, well prepared food.  The last couple of years, it really has fallen in both food and service.  I noted that on two different ships (GEM and Getaway).  Probably a good thing that it's not an option on the Escape.  As previously mentioned, THE ICE BAR was deleted from the Escape, too.  Fun place....once.  After that, the novelty wore off.

O'Sheehans, while offering good bar food, and a place to grab a drink, also offered an area to overlook the Atrium for demonstrations and shows (including movies on the HUGE screen).  They also offer bowling alleys, air hockey, and other typical bar games....

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg