Alaska Packing in a Carryon

PandaBear62

I am planning ahead for our Alaskan cruise in June. We have a couple of days in Vancouver, a week on the cruise and then a cruise tour for 4 days. Them the following month, I have a week long Norwegian Fjord cruise with an additional week in Europe. I'm assuming I can pack pretty similarly for both.

I'd like to pack in a rolling carryon and tote. My bags are:

WalkAbout 2 Spinner 21” Expandable Spinner (by Travel Pro). Dimensions are 21” x 14” x 9.5 “ 

Sasha Kipling tote  Dimensions are 15 3/4" x 11 1/4" x 8 1/4"in.

This is what I'm thinking of bringing:

Dark maroon lace dress (dressy): for both formal nights. I'm thinking I could wear with  a black pashmina one night and a floral kimono style sheer wrap the other.

Bottoms:

black ponte knit slacks (Anne Klein slim ankle)

black rayon/nylon pants with a black on black pattern (Alfani skinny leg)

black cotton/lycra straight leg pants (almost has  a small "waffle" texture)

black leggings

Tops:

4"nice" patterned t-shirts (Talbots, Charter Club, Chico's)

1 "nice" white t-shirt (Michael Kors)

2 "blouse like"  shirts

2 sweater like tunics

Outerwear:

1 lightweight Loft black cardigan sweater 

1 zip up sweatshirt (from Goodwill/something used)

1 packable windbreaker

Shoes:

1 pair of black ankle boots

1 pair black flats (or low heels)

1 pair black slip on shoes (Sketchers)

1 pair of flip flops (we plan to book the Enclave)

Misc:

1 swimming suit

4-5 pairs underwear

2-3 bras

4 pairs merino wool socks

2 pairs trouser socks

2-3 camisole/undershirts

2 pairs tights (one taupe, 1 black)

1 pashmina

1 scarf

1-2 pairs of gloves

Dh and I will probably do a load or two of laundry. I'm also fine doing a little hand laundry.  I'm confident this will fit in the roller bag. Whats nice is I have packed in carry-ons before, but have lost about 50 pounds over the last year, so it's so much easier with smaller clothes (size 16/18 and XL vs 22/24 and 3X)

The 3 pairs of pants all look nice, but are very comfortable. I figure I'll wear the t-shirts during the day and on excursions and the nicer blouse like shirts at dinner.  The tunics are nice with the leggings......they're almost more like a short dress.

I plan to purchase a coat/jacket in Ketchikan and leave the sweatshirt in Alaska when we leave if I need the space. (I plan to buy a sweatshirt from Goodwill, or somewhere similar)

Our excursions are low key. A whale watch & trip to Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau), renting a car and visiting a totem park and other sites in Ketchikan and a van tour to Emerald Lake in Skagway (Dyea Dave)

Does my packing list sound okay?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by PandaBear62

The only things I would change are;

1) instead of just a windbreaker, pack a rain jacket. (That can also be a wind breaker.)

2) Make sure one pair of your shoes is good for wet and slippery footing.

3) Add a warm hat. (I had to buy one in Ketchikan in June - it was cold!)

The Mendenhall glacier requires a walk to get to the visitors center and view point. Similarly, the totem park is outside. You'll be cruising through a temperate rain forest - assume it will be soggy. 

• Like 1

I’d eliminate the ankle boots & add a warm hat & maybe a neck gaiter. Concur on the rainproof/windproof jacket (Eddie Bauer has them on a great sale this week). Have fun on both of your journeys 

I'd skip the "nice" white t-shirt; it will soil easily.  Instead I'd add a casual long sleeve t-shirt in some darker color; better for layering on chilly days.  And instead of a sweatshirt I'd consider a lightweight fleece vest.  You can find pretty warm ones that aren't that heavy/bulky, and likely take less room in your luggage than a sweatshirt.  And as others said, an all-weather/rain type jacket instead of a windbreaker.  Make sure your ankle boots are waterproof, or at least water resistant, and leave the 2nd pair of gloves at home.

I think you should be ok. On our last Alaska cruise, my husband and I packed a carry on each, and it was fine. Wear your bulkiest shoes onto the ship to save space. And I would personally wear another sweatshirt onto the ship. Both times we were in Alaska, we had no rain but it would get chilly. I wore a fleece sweatshirt every day. The second time, I packed an extra sweatshirt just so I would have one to wear when it got dirty. But if you’re planning to buy something you should be fine. 

I never wear "sweatshirts" - I always wear fleece. For one, more flattering (on me) styles available, also, fleece dries more quickly than a standard sweatshirt material. So I'd also bring fleece over a sweatshirt. But not a vest. I hate vests; they hold no place in my personal layering strategy 😉 For me, the "borderline" warmth layer is a scarf - bundle more tightly when it's cold, loosely fling when it's warm. But we all have our personal strategies and your packing list should represent that. But do think about materials that will dry more quickly because as noted, you're likely to be damp at some point during your trip (and also for doing laundry). 

2 sweatshirts just seems unnecessary. If you need to wash the sweatshirt or fleece, you wear a long sleeve shirt and raincoat or pashmina for warmth while it dries, right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

The only things I would change are;

1) instead of just a windbreaker, pack a rain jacket. (That can also be a wind breaker.)

2) Make sure one pair of your shoes is good for wet and slippery footing.

3) Add a warm hat. (I had to buy one in Ketchikan in June - it was cold!)

The Mendenhall glacier requires a walk to get to the visitors center and view point. Similarly, the totem park is outside. You'll be cruising through a temperate rain forest - assume it will be soggy. 

Thanks, I packed the windbreaker but plan to purchase a rain jacket in Ketchikan (our first stop).  I am thinking maybe a pair of Keen shoes rather than the Sketchers. I will add a hat. I dont' tend to like them and prefer a pashmina over my head, but I think I will pack one just in case.

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

I’d eliminate the ankle boots & add a warm hat & maybe a neck gaiter. Concur on the rainproof/windproof jacket (Eddie Bauer has them on a great sale this week). Have fun on both of your journeys 

Thanks, I do plan to purchase a rain jacket, but in Ketchikan. I want it as a souvenir. Not quite sure what a neck gaiter is. I was planning on using the pashmina as a scarf. Would I need both?

38 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

2 sweatshirts just seems unnecessary. If you need to wash the sweatshirt or fleece, you wear a long sleeve shirt and raincoat or pashmina for warmth while it dries, right? 

Definitely not bringing 2 sweatshirts. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Just bringing one. I was thinking of getting a cheap one from Goodwill, etc, so if I want to leave it behind I can, rather than a nice one from home. I on;y wear zipper fleece sweatshirts, so they get pricey.

3 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Definitely not bringing 2 sweatshirts. Sorry I didn't make that clear. 

Nope, you made it clear - I was disagreeing with one of the recommendations from someone else in the thread. So my fault!

We all pack differently and there are no absolutes. As long as you have clothing that meets dress code, excursion needs & the weather, you'll be fine! For Alaska, of course, it tends to be the weather that confounds people. But it's a rainforest, not the arctic circle. It will likely not be frigid, or if so, not the entire time. Go inside if you get cold, have a warm drink 😉

As for waterproof, I do have lots of goretex but we like to travel in wet & cold places/times, so it makes sense for us. And I keep clothing a LONG time 😉 But you can spray non-waterproof shoes with a nice silicone waterproofing spray and that will help some.  I have a favorite pair of Keen boots that are not waterproof or goretex and I spray them every year and just keep traveling in them 🙂

18 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thanks, I do plan to purchase a rain jacket, but in Ketchikan. I want it as a souvenir. Not quite sure what a neck gaiter is. I was planning on using the pashmina as a scarf. Would I need both?

A gaiter is kind of like a really big headband....one continuous loop of fabric, but wide enough to cover your entire neck.  They stay in place much better than a scarf, as there is no tying to be done, and no loose ends to worry about coming untucked.  I always wear a fleece gaiter when skiing.   If you have ever watched the show Survivor, the "buffs" that they wear are essentially a gaiter, just made of a stretchy thin quick-dry fabric suitable for that climate rather than fleece.

I don’t know your personal style, but if there’s space, you might consider a pair of capris, shorts or a skort. We had 80 degree temperatures in Fairbanks in June on one of our trips! Alaska is an amazing place - enjoy!

On 3/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, lsb48154 said:

I don’t know your personal style, but if there’s space, you might consider a pair of capris, shorts or a skort. We had 80 degree temperatures in Fairbanks in June on one of our trips! Alaska is an amazing place - enjoy!

I will consider that! I do wear capris. I will keep that suggestion for my list. We plan and try to check weather right before we leave and adjust as appropriate.

On 16 March 2019 at 2:23 AM, lsb48154 said:

Will second this for your fjord cruise ,we have had hot weather in the fjords June/July time. Also depends on where you are heading to in Europe?

22 hours ago, Book bug said:

Will second this for your fjord cruise ,we have had hot weather in the fjords June/July time. Also depends on where you are heading to in Europe?

We will be in Lourdes (France), Amsterdam and a day in Hopsten, Germany (near Rheine).  Our cruise ports are Skoldjen,  Bergen, Eidfjord and Alesund.

Haven't been to Skoldjen but Bergen, Eidfjord and Alesund are lovely. Is known to have many rainy days in Bergen we have had half and half when visited. Likely warm/hot weather when you visit Lourdes, Amsterdam and Germany

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:29 PM, PandaBear62 said:

I am planning ahead for our Alaskan cruise in June. We have a couple of days in Vancouver, a week on the cruise and then a cruise tour for 4 days. Them the following month, I have a week long Norwegian Fjord cruise with an additional week in Europe. I'm assuming I can pack pretty similarly for both.

I'd like to pack in a rolling carryon and tote. My bags are:

WalkAbout 2 Spinner 21” Expandable Spinner (by Travel Pro). Dimensions are 21” x 14” x 9.5 “ 

Sasha Kipling tote  Dimensions are 15 3/4" x 11 1/4" x 8 1/4"in.

nicer blouse like shirts at dinner.  The tunics are nice with the leggings......they're almost more like a short dress.

I plan to purchase a coat/jacket in Ketchikan and leave the sweatshirt in Alaska when we leave if I need the space. (I plan to buy a sweatshirt from Goodwill, or somewhere similar)

Our excursions are low key. A whale watch & trip to Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau), renting a car and visiting a totem park and other sites in Ketchikan and a van tour to Emerald Lake in Skagway (Dyea Dave)

Does my packing list sound okay?

Thanks for any input.

This is what I'm thinking of bringing:

Dark maroon lace dress (dressy): for both formal nights. I'm thinking I could wear with  a black pashmina one night and a floral kimono style sheer wrap the other.

Bottoms:

black ponte knit slacks (Anne Klein slim ankle)

black rayon/nylon pants with a black on black pattern (Alfani skinny leg)

black cotton/lycra straight leg pants (almost has  a small "waffle" texture)

black leggings

Tops:

4"nice" patterned t-shirts (Talbots, Charter Club, Chico's)

1 "nice" white t-shirt (Michael Kors)

2 "blouse like"  shirts

2 sweater like tunics

Outerwear:

1 lightweight Loft black cardigan sweater 

1 zip up sweatshirt (from Goodwill/something used)

1 packable windbreaker

Shoes:

1 pair of black ankle boots

1 pair black flats (or low heels)

1 pair black slip on shoes (Sketchers)

1 pair of flip flops (we plan to book the Enclave)

Misc:

1 swimming suit

4-5 pairs underwear

2-3 bras

4 pairs merino wool socks

2 pairs trouser socks

2-3 camisole/undershirts

2 pairs tights (one taupe, 1 black)

1 pashmina

1 scarf

1-2 pairs of gloves

Dh and I will probably do a load or two of laundry. I'm also fine doing a little hand laundry.  I'm confident this will fit in the roller bag. Whats nice is I have packed in carry-ons before, but have lost about 50 pounds over the last year, so it's so much easier with smaller clothes (size 16/18 and XL vs 22/24 and 3X)

The 3 pairs of pants all look nice, but are very comfortable. I figure I'll wear the t-shirts during the day and on excursions and the

Congratulations on losing your weight. Your packing will be easier now.  

I live in the mid west so I am used to the cooler weather than you but June will be a nice time of yr for Alaska.  I have been to the ports you are going to in May and Sept and the weather has been warm and sunny for me

Unless your Sketchers are very comfortable for being in the ports all day and doing a lot of walking I would leave one of the pair of other shoes home. Water proofed well worn ( not ratty looking ) tennis shoes were what I wore on the ship and in the ports and on the ship except for formal night.  3 shoes total counting my flip-flops. 

Leave the wool socks home and take a few more regular socks for the ports.-

I don't think you will need the camisole undershirts either since you will have a sweatshirt or the tunic for out on the deck. 

Rethink all the leggings and tights.  You really won't get dirty and you can wear things twice. Take half and put in one more pair of light weight jeans for being on the deck at night.

Rethink all the tops you listed.  You will not need them in my opinion.    There are lots of places in the ports to buy them. 

Your formal wear sounds nice but you can get away with either the pashima or the wrap. 

My gloves are the ones with the fingers cut out so I could take pictures easily.  In Glacier Bay I didn't need a hat or scarf around my neck, but that was just me.  I wore a light weight lined nylon zippered rain jacket over my hooded sweat shirt that could fit in my back pack when I didn't want to have it on.   You might get cold easier than me though.  

If you find out you really need something to keep you warm, yes there are lots of shops in Ketchikan to buy them.  

Remember, no one will remember what you wore the day or night before so you don't have to take a lot of clothes.  Pack your bag.  Then unpack it and put a few things back in the closet.  Travel size wrinkle releaser is a great thing to take plus a small nice smelling spray for the bathroom.  Take some $1 bills to give room service when they bring you coffee in the morning. It's a wonderful treat to have it delivered with a pre breakfast danish.  

Have a great cruise and have fun.  

Edited by dustyroad

12 hours ago, dustyroad said:

Leave the wool socks home and take a few more regular socks for the ports.-

I wear smartwool socks for travel not for warmth but comfort! They're not thick heavy ski socks 😉 Cotton sort of sucks for travel in general - heavy, takes a while to dry....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I wear smartwool socks for travel not for warmth but comfort! They're not thick heavy ski socks 😉 Cotton sort of sucks for travel in general - heavy, takes a while to dry....

Thank you for correcting me.  I was thinking heavy thick socks that would take up a lot of space in the bag.  :classic_smile:

13 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'm still refining my list. I'm a CA girl and I get cold easily! 

Your welcome.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  When I mentioned I was going to Alaska I actually had people ask me to make sure and get pictures of the polar bears.  It was hard for them to believe that the ports I was going to had nice weather like we do down here.  But since you live in Ca  it will be more chilly for you than it was for me.  The ports or the ship will have warm clothes for if you need it and a lot of bags you can purchase to bring them back home for you.  Have plenty of storage for all the pictures you will be taking.  Do you know what you are going to be doing in Vancouver yet?  It is a great place to do things.

• 2 weeks later...

I took only a carry on to Alaska and our stay in Seattle prior to the cruise.  We went the early part of July. It rained every day and was cold!  I would skip the dress pants and add jeans, waterproof shoes and not a windbreaker but a waterproof three season jacket.  On our whale watch I wore tights under my jeans, waterproof hikers, hat, gloves, scarf, fleece over a long sleeved tee and a packable down jacket.  I was still cold!  The weather can be very variable, so layer.  Just to let you know, the cruises to Alaska are very casual.  Choose comfort over style for this one. Have a great cruise!

• 2 months later...