Alaska Packing in a Carryon

PandaBear62

On 3/12/2019 at 8:29 PM, PandaBear62 said:

I am planning ahead for our Alaskan cruise in June. We have a couple of days in Vancouver, a week on the cruise and then a cruise tour for 4 days. Them the following month, I have a week long Norwegian Fjord cruise with an additional week in Europe. I'm assuming I can pack pretty similarly for both.

Hi PandaBear!

How did your AK cruise go? I never answered your original query, but your packing list (and plans to exchange thrift-store hoody for a "souvenir" jacket) all sounded right on! And like what I would (and will) pack, only more colors/less black for me. 

Four bottoms, 8 tops, and one or two "toppers" (not counting OUTERWEAR or raingear) is my system, varying by climate.

What changes are you going to make for Norway?

22 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi PandaBear!

How did your AK cruise go? I never answered your original query, but your packing list (and plans to exchange thrift-store hoody for a "souvenir" jacket) all sounded right on! And like what I would (and will) pack, only more colors/less black for me. 

Four bottoms, 8 tops, and one or two "toppers" (not counting OUTERWEAR or raingear) is my system, varying by climate.

What changes are you going to make for Norway?

Thanks for asking! I brought too many clothes! I had more tops than I needed. I brought two tunics (I only needed one), two "dressy" stops (only wore one and really didn't need either). I brought 7 or 8 tops and easily could have had 5 or 6. 

I had 4 pairs of pants and could have done with three. I loved my blue jean jeggings. I had a pair of jeans, and two pairs of black pants. One would have been fine.

I had a dress for sleeping (basically a long tee dress from Costco), a dress as a swim cover up and 2 nicer dresses. Since I only used the swim cover up to go to and from the spa (using the thermal spa), I could have just used my sleep tee.  Also, instead of 2 dresses for formal nights, for Europe I am bringing one dress and two different wraps (one is maroon/wine red and the other a gold/yellow) for a floral dress. I purposely brought two very different colors because I think they will make the dress look quite different. (One had lace and the other, more shimmery with rhinestones).

I ended up finding a cute sweatshirt type jacket at Chico's, so brought that. But I used it frequently, as well as the packable rain jacket and the puffer coat.

I also used my pashmina frequently, as a scarf. When it was really cold, I wore it over my head and wrapped around my neck with my rain jacket hood. I also used a lightweight gaiter around my neck, made of breathable, wicking fabric. I bought my from Eddie Bauer, but it was kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ligart-Protection-Headwear-Balaclava-Breathable/dp/B07F85Q19J/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HCQ7KENVRQIS&keywords=neck%2Bgaiter%2Bwomen&qid=1561844202&s=gateway&sprefix=gaiter%2B%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-6&th=1

I'm actually packing for Europe now (I leave in two weeks) as a trial run. I'll post my final list soon.

Just one more observation.....we sailed on Princess and had the first seating. People dressed much nicer for the dining room than I expected. Regular cruise casual nights....almost all men in button down shirts or polos with khaki pants or slacks....way fewer jeans than I expected. Women wore nice slacks and tops or dresses. Gala night, on the other hand, wasn't super formal, but I definitely saw a few tuxes, more suits and many slacks with dress shorts. Women in what I'd consider nicer cruise casual all the way to long dresses.

2 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thanks for asking! I brought too many clothes!

...I also used a lightweight gaiter around my neck, made of breathable, wicking fabric... 

I'm actually packing for Europe now (I leave in two weeks) as a trial run. I'll post my final list soon.

Just one more observation.....we sailed on Princess and had the first seating. People dressed much nicer for the dining room than I expected.

I love those neck-tubes, I have several prints and solids bought from here or there (including China through eBay). My husband can no longer wear them (he has a big head to start with and now they pull his hearing aids out), so I'm going to knit him a helmet with loose-ish ear flaps and a neck-cover that overlaps and buttons.

Thanks for observation on Princess/AK, as we'll be sailing on that line next June!

As long as you could fit it in and carry it, a little redundancy is OK. The alternative can be having to pay inflated prices for laundry if you spill something! I'm always happy if only one or two things went unworn.

Since I'm familiar with your suitcase, I'm wondering if you broke it with that much stuff. (Packed similarly for Santiago and suitcase had to be repaired by engineers on Princess)

On 6/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, PandaBear62 said:

People dressed much nicer for the dining room than I expected. Regular cruise casual nights....almost all men in button down shirts or polos with khaki pants or slacks....way fewer jeans than I expected. Women wore nice slacks and tops or dresses. Gala night, on the other hand, wasn't super formal, but I definitely saw a few tuxes, more suits and many slacks with dress shorts. Women in what I'd consider nicer cruise casual all the way to long dresses.

I need to reacquaint myself with your original packing list ...but my thoughts reading this affirm what I believe to be true of Alaska cruises. That is, people are packing the recommended layers and are more casual overall. The absence of jeans doesn’t surprise me at all...jeans are heavy and bulky. Khakis are a much more port friendly and suitcase friendly option, especially with some sophisticated tech fabrics that dry quickly but look nice to transition from day to evening. The khakis play better with casual inclement weather friendly travel wardrobes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Since I'm familiar with your suitcase, I'm wondering if you broke it with that much stuff. (Packed similarly for Santiago and suitcase had to be repaired by engineers on Princess)

Well, I'll admit, I switched bags! Because I will be managing my moms luggage on our Europe trip, I used my Rick Steves backpack instead of the Travelpro bag. That way I could "practice" with it.

However, my Travelpro is my "go to" bag, and the last time I used it, it was packed like crazy and even had two bottles of wine in it. So it's a workhorse for me. 

On 6/29/2019 at 2:43 PM, PandaBear62 said:

the puffer coat.

Keep meaning to tuck this in somewhere.  We did a Norwegian coastal cruise in March.  Not really cold but you wanted something.  I bought a North Face knee length coat.  I carried a pillowcase and when I was ready to sleep on the plane I stuffed the jacket in the pillowcase and had the best 'travel pillow' ever.  Coming home to warmer weather I put it in one of those compression bags so it took up practically no room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Keep meaning to tuck this in somewhere.  We did a Norwegian coastal cruise in March.  Not really cold but you wanted something.  I bought a North Face knee length coat.  I carried a pillowcase and when I was ready to sleep on the plane I stuffed the jacket in the pillowcase and had the best 'travel pillow' ever.  Coming home to warmer weather I put it in one of those compression bags so it took up practically no room.

I did something similar! I have a lightweight fabric 9x12 zipper bag (like a wet bag but fabric) and I put my puffer coat in it. It was like a small pillow. Great minds think alike!

Edited by PandaBear62

1 minute ago, PandaBear62 said:

Great minds think alike!

(And as a long ago friend of mine said)..."and fools seldom differ."  LOL

Unfortunately our next two international trips will be in S. American summer and European spring so I don't think I'll try that again.  But it was great, wasn't it?  Yay us 🙂

2 minutes ago, clo said:

(And as a long ago friend of mine said)..."and fools seldom differ."  LOL

Unfortunately our next two international trips will be in S. American summer and European spring so I don't think I'll try that again.  But it was great, wasn't it?  Yay us 🙂

I'd rather pack for more temperate weather....easier to pack carry on size when cold weather clothes aren't needed.

Just now, PandaBear62 said:

I'd rather pack for more temperate weather....easier to pack carry on size when cold weather clothes aren't needed.

Totally true.  The compression bags, which I'd not used before, made a big difference.

I couldn't help it - it's an addiction...

I just bought another Sherpani bag!!!   It's a limited edition bag for the summer.   The Oslo Adventure backpack.  19.5x13x9.  Looks really cool with a different herringbone patterned grey fabric.  100% vegan.  RFID pockets.  Full backpack straps, hip belt and sternum strap hide away in a full zip compartment if you don't want to use them.  Shoulder strap or carry with handles.  Comes with a rain cover.    A more "urban" look than my eBags MotherLode.   

If you carry on and want a nice-looking alternative, this is a good one.  Really nice price-point: $119.  

Now, I have to come up with a trip to use it on!!!!!  And, the trip will be all-Sherpani - the backpack, the Dispatch or Temest as my "purse" and the Zoe as my wallet.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:46 PM, Anita Latte said:

I need to reacquaint myself with your original packing list ...but my thoughts reading this affirm what I believe to be true of Alaska cruises. That is, people are packing the recommended layers and are more casual overall. The absence of jeans doesn’t surprise me at all...jeans are heavy and bulky. Khakis are a much more port friendly and suitcase friendly option, especially with some sophisticated tech fabrics that dry quickly but look nice to transition from day to evening. The khakis play better with casual inclement weather friendly travel wardrobes.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, PandaBear62 said:

Thanks for asking! I brought too many clothes! I had more tops than I needed. I brought two tunics (I only needed one), two "dressy" stops (only wore one and really didn't need either). I brought 7 or 8 tops and easily could have had 5 or 6. 

I had 4 pairs of pants and could have done with three. I loved my blue jean jeggings. I had a pair of jeans, and two pairs of black pants. One would have been fine.

I had a dress for sleeping (basically a long tee dress from Costco), a dress as a swim cover up and 2 nicer dresses. Since I only used the swim cover up to go to and from the spa (using the thermal spa), I could have just used my sleep tee.  Also, instead of 2 dresses for formal nights, for Europe I am bringing one dress and two different wraps (one is maroon/wine red and the other a gold/yellow) for a floral dress. I purposely brought two very different colors because I think they will make the dress look quite different. (One had lace and the other, more shimmery with rhinestones).

I ended up finding a cute sweatshirt type jacket at Chico's, so brought that. But I used it frequently, as well as the packable rain jacket and the puffer coat.

I also used my pashmina frequently, as a scarf. When it was really cold, I wore it over my head and wrapped around my neck with my rain jacket hood. I also used a lightweight gaiter around my neck, made of breathable, wicking fabric. I bought my from Eddie Bauer, but it was kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ligart-Protection-Headwear-Balaclava-Breathable/dp/B07F85Q19J/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HCQ7KENVRQIS&keywords=neck%2Bgaiter%2Bwomen&qid=1561844202&s=gateway&sprefix=gaiter%2B%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-6&th=1

Just one more observation.....we sailed on Princess and had the first seating. People dressed much nicer for the dining room than I expected. Regular cruise casual nights....almost all men in button down shirts or polos with khaki pants or slacks....way fewer jeans than I expected. Women wore nice slacks and tops or dresses. Gala night, on the other hand, wasn't super formal, but I definitely saw a few tuxes, more suits and many slacks with dress shorts. Women in what I'd consider nicer cruise casual all the way to long dresses.

I also only travel with a carry-on.  We are leaving on a 3 week trip next week to Alaska.  Week land, week cruise and week in Victoria, BC.  I got a few tips from this thread (pillow case), need for a scarf (although there is a Heat Wave in Alaska now. I handle dinner dressing a bit differently - 1 take one pair of easy pack nylon/rayon no wrinkle black pants and 4 silk tank tops in prints - layer over with 3/4 sleeve lightweight black sweater.  Silk takes up almost no space to pack.  I'll take one pair of Columbia capris, one pair of denim leggings, 1 flannel shirt, 3  short sleeve tees, 1 3/4 sleeve tee and one long sleeve tech shirt + micro fleece sweatshirt, silk long handles and packable rain jacket.  Formal is the same black pants with a black tank and Chico crinkle evening jacket + 1 chiffon poncho type topper.  All the tops are folded into an Eagle Creek Pack-it envelope. Underwear, calf length black tights for exercise & sleep & 4 pairs of Darn Tough socks are in a cube.  Flat woven Mary Jane shoes for evening a one pair of canvas shoes + flip flops.  Pants are rolled.  I wear regular light weight jeans and tee with overshirt on the plane + my keens and carry on my standard (never travel with out it) Med wt Black Ruana.  I will take advantage on the laundry on Princess and grateful to have it.  I normally pack washing drops and inflatable hangers to do my laundry.

I was in Ecuador twice last year - 2 weeks each time.  One week in cold weather (miserable rain) in the mountains and one week in the Amazon rain forest -- same trip and really tough to pack for.  Columbia pants and Columbia capris + tech shirts to dry fast and had to do laundry (not easy in a rain forest). Think lightweight, easy pack, go with everything, layer and attempt to lock down the weather if possible.  I always pack a compression bag (unfilled) & some large zip locks. Consider also that you don't know people and as long as you are close to appropriate & comfortable with your choices - don't worry about what others wear.  It's likely they won't worry about what you wear. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:46 PM, Anita Latte said:

On the jeans:  jeans are no longer all heavy and bulky.  Sure, the originals in the heavy denim, but many now are a lighter denim with stretch and some of totally engineered fabrics.  I have one pair from Madewell called "the Perfect Summer Boyfriend Jean." I wore them all last summer and was not hot. and they packed nicely, just as small as any khakis.  In May, I went to Athleta and bought a pair of their new Sculptek denims (the skinny ones).  Even smaller to pack!  And very light - I wore them on the plane to Florida and out to dinner a few times - never got hot or sticky,   They will be my new travel pants (along with a pair of Betabrand black pants) to go anywhere.    Those jeans and my black Patagonia Down Sweater and I'm good for the Mountain West and Alaska, with my black biker jacket and I'm good for city life!  Just suggesting that there are new things on the denim horizon...