Now that Carnival has dropped Antigua will Royal follow?

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-will-no-longer-sail-to-antigua

My wife and I are cruising on the Serenade on April 5 and one of our stops is Antigua. Since the President of Antigua doesnt want ships or passengers anymore, Im guessing that by the time we are supposed to dock, Royal will have decided to follow Carnival. My question is if this is the case will they try to add a port or a day at sea? Fortunately we dont have any excursions planned for Antigua so it wont affect us. 

Too bad, but the Government is getting it's just rewards by it's statements.

Also, in the article there's a little nugget which caused a lot of consternation on RCL board about a year+ ago.

The news marks the second time that Carnival has made headlines for a big policy change in recent months. Earlier this year, the Florida-based line announced that room service would no longer be complimentary on all ships in its fleet.

We're supposed to go to Antigua in early April on Grandeur.  Having been there before, it wouldn't really bother me if we missed it.  We didn't particularly care for the port.  We have a beach excursion booked, but that's because there's really not much in the port area and it wasn't the nicest port either.  It's hardly a wealthy country and they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.  Cruise passengers spend a lot of money in ports and the lost revenue will hurt them.  Antigua like a lot of Caribbean ports is dependent on tourism and they need the cruise passengers.

I do however think that this is a power play by both sides.  We'll see who blinks first.

Edited by BND

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

The news marks the second time that Carnival has made headlines for a big policy change in recent months. Earlier this year, the Florida-based line announced that room service would no longer be complimentary on all ships in its fleet.

Just to clarify so some people aren't confused, Carnival walked back that change to room service a couple days after the initial announcement. 

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-walks-back-plan-to-eliminate-free-room-service

I read the story 3 times...just to make sure...as there are comments/statements in it which don't really say WHY Carnival made this decision. The explanations are ambiguous at best, so assumption that other cruise lines will follow would be just that...guesses.

One way to read what might be behind the decision is that new fees, taxes, or something else made it "less profitable" for Carnival to stop at that port. That would impact every cruise line a bit differently of course.

Antigua is a nice place, as are Cozumel, Cancun, Falmouth Jamaica, and Nassau Bahamas...all those destinations have had issues with crime in recent times, and are therefore under observation as long-term ports to visit by both cruise lines and passengers.