Anthem OTS - Sail Past Statue of Liberty?

13 minutes ago, LibertyGirl7 said:

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if the Anthem of the Seas out of New Jersey will sail past the Statue of Liberty on her way out of port?

Thanks for any help!

No, however, on our Aug. '16 NE/Canada sail, we got a wonderful surprise as the Captain sailed up the Hudson and sailed past Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty.  When he turned the ship around we were so close to Battery Park and saw the downtown skyline.

• Like 1

We haven't done so on any of our 5 Anthem cruises as Ms Liberty is upstream or towards Manhattan from Cape Liberty.

It can be seen from the ship when docked and from the stern when sailing out of NY harbor.

We did do one cruise from Cape Liberty on another RCI ship, I believe it was Vision,  that did go up stream to do an actual sail by.

It's up to the captain to do so and I believe he must get permission from the port authority. That is likely why it is rarely done. Also all of our Anthem cruises were down to the Bahamas and the Caribbean so the ship had some distance to cover on the sea days down. The Vision cruise was re-positioning to Galveston with a sea day to Bermuda as the first port.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 2

Our one sailing on a cruise to Canada after labor 2016 we turned left from the pier and sailed by the statue.  Very cool surfing by myself on the flowrider sailing by the statue.  We were lucky. I don’t think it happens most of the time.

jc

• Like 1

We were on same sailing as Jasukkie and when I asked the Captain the next day about it he said it was a special treat when it is done. As mentioned previously, they need Port clearance and good weather. It also depends on how long they have to the first port and sea conditions expected on the part of the journey. 

We were fortunate to get up in the North Star for the sail past the Statue of Liberty. If your cruise does happen to go that way, they do open the North Star for a few rides. It is first come, first serve and it is not announced before hand. We were luckily standing close by and asked if it was going up? The guy said they needed at least 10 people, so we actually recruited others close by to get enough to go up. 

• Like 1

been on anthem twice and my parents have sailed out of cape liberty at least three times and none of those sailings have done a statue of liberty sail by.......but with all of us being native staten islanders whom have frequented the staten island ferry daily for decades commuting that novelty disappeared a long time ago..........that ship has sailed for us so to speak  lol

• Like 1

Having been a Native New Yorker I guess I should be ashamed to stay that I have never been to the Statue or Ellis Island. It has always been on my bucket list along with seeing a Broadway play. We probably won't be doing either one until we retire or move to Florida.  DW refuses to travel the Manhattan on her day off.  I try to tell her that she can stick it to the man (Long Island Rail Road) by traveling an extra day on her monthly ticket. Unfortunately that logic only works with the drink package.  If you have time to visit NY you can ride the Staten Island ferry for free and pass Lady Liberty.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1