World Cruise Insurance

Elephant1151

We have annual insurance with a bank account which covers us for trips up to 45 days. I have a pre existing condition which  is not covered with our insurance but is controlled with the medication and I am content with that. We shall continue with this insurance as it covers my husband until he is 80.

Last year we took out additional insurance for Around South America 75 days with cruise cover and excluding my medical condition at £525 which was reasonable.

I am looking to insure for the same trip next year 78 nights and quotes are coming in at £1050 and more with medical exclusion but with cruise cover. I know we are one year older but cannot understand the hike in premiums.

We are UK residents and would welcome any advice.

We had a similar experience recently. We were told by one company that there has been a big jump in claims against annual, world wide policies. And therefor a big jump in premiums.

We found it was cheaper to go with a single trip worldwide AND keep our annual policy but reduced to Europe only for other trips.

Only advice is to keep shopping around and explore all options.

Regards, Colin.

My husband thought  his condition was under control but he had a problem on our cruise last year and was taken off the ship in Gibraltar, which comes under NHS. However, the cost for tests and an overnight stay in the ships hospital was around $10,000. I would encourage everyone to have their medical capon diction covered. All of his many conditions were covered for under £200 for an annual policy.

I too have medical insurance covered by my bank account.The standard insurance covers trips of up to 31 days but I contacted the company and they were happy to extend the policy for up to 180 days for approximately an extra £1 per day.However we do not have any medical pre conditions.

23 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

We have annual insurance with a bank account which covers us for trips up to 45 days. I have a pre existing condition which  is not covered with our insurance but is controlled with the medication and I am content with that. We shall continue with this insurance as it covers my husband until he is 80.

Last year we took out additional insurance for Around South America 75 days with cruise cover and excluding my medical condition at £525 which was reasonable.

I am looking to insure for the same trip next year 78 nights and quotes are coming in at £1050 and more with medical exclusion but with cruise cover. I know we are one year older but cannot understand the hike in premiums.

Parents contacted Age UK and were pointed in the right direction.  Age UK have contacts within the Insurance Industry.

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

This is very interesting to hear about trip insurance through one's bank. Is that aUK thing or is this available in the US? I don't recall hearing about it from my bank.

Thanks

Jack

Quite common for some Banks in England to give free Holiday Insurance for people who have Current Accounts with them.🍷🥃

On 3/16/2019 at 8:11 PM, Elephant1151 said:

Even if you are not covered by your controlled condition, I think you should inform your 

Insurance Company about them.  Sorry to say the increase in your premium will only get more each year, why we are all one year nearer to meet our maker?  🍷🥃

OP, if either you or your spouse (or even your parents) have served in the military it might be worth you looking at the Forces Pension Society.  If you fit their criteria you pay a small 'joining fee' and then they ask you to contact their insurers who are AXAPPP who ask no questions other than 'are you mentally fit' and 'do you have a terminal illness' . Assuming you are ok, then they will accept you.  Our renewal last year for an annual worldwide cover plus cruising was just over £900 for the two of us, with FPS, it was £450 for the two of us.  Ironically our original insurer was....AXAPPP.....but when we queried this joining through the FPS means it is a group insurance and hence that is why it is cheaper.

If you are still having doubts, then I can put them to rest as unfortunately we had to make a claim at the end of last year and within 4 weeks of making the claim the full cost of the cruise holiday was back in our bank account.

We used my late father's service record as for some reason I still had his paybook.  He served in the Second World War so obviously time has no bearing.

Thank you for  all of your suggestions. We have found Age UK will cover all pre existing conditions with an increased cancellation amount for a reasonable amount.  I know we all hope something never happens but it is certainly better to be covered.

We will continue with M&S Premier Club insurance for other holidays and pay for any additional insurance for the exotic/world voyages.

49 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

Thank you for  all of your suggestions. We have found Age UK will cover all pre existing conditions with an increased cancellation amount for a reasonable amount.  I know we all hope something never happens but it is certainly better to be covered.

We will continue with M&S Premier Club insurance for other holidays and pay for any additional insurance for the exotic/world voyages.

So glad to read your last imput, I think it is the correct choice, one never knows what can   happen on holidays, at least you will have peace of mind, god forbid that if any thing did go wrong you are now fully covered. Now just go and  enjoy your holiday to the full.🍷🥃

3 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

The forces insurance looks interesting, our last quote for a months trip to the USA was £2866. Needles to say, we didn’t proceed

We have friends of friends (!) who were quoted £2500,  joining the FPS, their quote is £500.  Quite extraordinary saving, and as I said earlier, having made a claim and had it resolved quickly, we are impressed with them.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, babs135 said:

OP, if either you or your spouse (or even your parents) have served in the military it might be worth you looking at the Forces Pension Society.  If you fit their criteria you pay a small 'joining fee' and then they ask you to contact their insurers who are AXAPPP who ask no questions other than 'are you mentally fit' and 'do you have a terminal illness' . Assuming you are ok, then they will accept you.  Our renewal last year for an annual worldwide cover plus cruising was just over £900 for the two of us, with FPS, it was £450 for the two of us.  Ironically our original insurer was....AXAPPP.....but when we queried this joining through the FPS means it is a group insurance and hence that is why it is cheaper.

If you are still having doubts, then I can put them to rest as unfortunately we had to make a claim at the end of last year and within 4 weeks of making the claim the full cost of the cruise holiday was back in our bank account.

We used my late father's service record as for some reason I still had his paybook.  He served in the Second World War so obviously time has no bearing.

I paid to join but there is definitely medical screening, any hospital consultation or medical investigations within the last 24 months have to be declared. Unless you choose to exclude pre existing medical conditions, then,if you are having problems with travel insurance, then this will be no different. They declined cover for me.

16 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

I paid to join but there is definitely medical screening, any hospital consultation or medical investigations within the last 24 months have to be declared. Unless you choose to exclude pre existing medical conditions, then,if you are having problems with travel insurance, then this will be no different. They declined cover for me.

wow, truly interesting. We were asked no questions at all.  Plus when we put in the claim all pre existing conditions were listed by both the hospital and our GP yet they paid out without any argument.  However, when we are ready to renew I can imagine we might well run into problems, especially as at the time of me posting this DH is waiting for one, maybe two operations.  We were hoping that we might be able to squeeze a week's break inbetween operations but would certainly be having a word with our insurers before booking anything.  Based on your comments I suspect they will throw us out of the scheme.

If I wasn't depressed about the situation before, I am now.  Looks like a week in Blackpool may be our future now!!!!

I have added a screenshot of the questions asked. Unfortunately I have a condition which can affect any organ in the body and often mimics other things, so if for example I had a heart attack, it would be almost impossible to say if it was unrelated to my condition.  So I darent exclude it.

7 minutes ago, babs135 said:

wow, truly interesting. We were asked no questions at all.  Plus when we put in the claim all pre existing conditions were listed by both the hospital and our GP yet they paid out without any argument.  However, when we are ready to renew I can imagine we might well run into problems, especially as at the time of me posting this DH is waiting for one, maybe two operations.  We were hoping that we might be able to squeeze a week's break inbetween operations but would certainly be having a word with our insurers before booking anything.  Based on your comments I suspect they will throw us out of the scheme.

If I wasn't depressed about the situation before, I am now.  Looks like a week in Blackpool may be our future now!!!!

B3390165-5906-4738-9DC2-447AE1F91A66.jpeg

88F5DCA0-73CB-4074-AF80-6F5E1C965B13.jpeg

This is really strange. We were not offered any form like this and as I said, we were asked no medical questions at all. If we had we would definitely have revealed all pre existing conditions (and again these were listed on our claim form so we were not trying to hide them.) I note the name on the form is not AXAPPP, is It a different firm now?

13 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

I've spoken to a couple of other people who are with the Society and who, like us, are senior citizens with a number of pre existing conditions and, similarly, they were not asked any medical questions and were accepted.  I'm really puzzled as to why they decided to screen you and, therefore, decline to cover you.

One of life's little mysteries?

Just been on the Forces Pension Society website and here is what I have found:

https://www.healthinsurancegroup.co.uk/individual/forces/travel-insurance

Are you sure you were on the right site?

Edited by babs135
addition