3 Going on a Hawaii Cruise - 1 Staying in Hawaii ??

Rowsby

Three of us would like to take another Hawaii Cruise....I would like to leave the ship and stay on Oahu (Honolulu)....while the other two cruise back home....

Logistically....is that possible.....would HAL have a problem with my leaving.....???

Should  I tell my PCC when booking.....or wait until I'm on the ship......??? 

You need to talk to HAL.  If they allow you to do this, they will have to make arrangements for a customs agent to meet you at the pier -- which you will have to pay for.

BUT -- do not count on this happening as you have gone from a US port to a US port without visiting a foreign port.

It is a violation of US law (specifically the PVSA - Passenger vessel service act) to do so and you could face a hefty fine.  Indicating to HAL that you intended to do so would result in either cancellation of your booking or denied boarding. 

If if you want to spend an extended period of time in Hawaii you will need to either fly from the US mainland or take a cruise that originates in Vancouver and terminates in Hawaii then fly home (only a few a year, mostly in September). 

55 minutes ago, retafcruiser said:

And it would have to be a "distant" foreign port.  

Unless you were sailing out of Vancouver, as some Hawaii cruises do.  I think I saw a one way to Hawaii a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Unless you were sailing out of Vancouver, as some Hawaii cruises do.  I think I saw a one way to Hawaii a couple of years ago.

I was just going to suggest cruising from Vancouver, there is a 29 September 2019 16 day cruise Vancouver RT, with Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui.  But you’ll have to take directly with HAL about having a passenger disembark at a Hawai port.

Thanks for all the good input....!!

I thought by leaving from Vancouver....it would count for the foreign port requirement.....but I didn't think about a customs agent......

I'll give HAL a call.....

Worse case.....I would just have to "suffer" thru the whole cruise..............then fly back to Hawaii......:)

13 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

I thought by leaving from Vancouver....it would count for the foreign port requirement.....but I didn't think about a customs agent......

Worse case.....I would just have to "suffer" thru the whole cruise..............then fly back to Hawaii......:)

Foreign port doesn’t even enter into it. When you leave from a Canadian Port, or disembark there, the PVSA doesn’t apply. 

5 hours ago, Rowsby said:

If you are allowed to leave (for example, embarked in Vancouver), you will still need to pay for the entire cruise.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

If you are allowed to leave (for example, embarked in Vancouver), you will still need to pay for the entire cruise.

But being the third person in a cabin the fare might not have been that expensive.  Just my guess here.

Edited by DaveOKC

I received this email from our HAL PCC....embarking from Vancouver would be the only possible Hawaii Cruise allowing disembarking in Hawaii (with prior permission)....good to know....!!!

"Typically a guest cannot disembark in Hawaii because it causes a Jones Act violation which is the stiff fines you are hearing about.  This would apply to all of our Circle Hawaii cruises that embark in Seattle or San Diego.   

My understanding is that it may be possible to get the approval to disembark in Hawaii if the cruise leaves from Vancouver.  There is a request that I submit for you so that we can get permission in advance.  We have a sailing that departs from Vancouver on September 29, 2019.  Please let me know if you would like some additional information.  Have a great day."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowsby said:

"Typically a guest cannot disembark in Hawaii because it causes a Jones Act violation which is the stiff fines you are hearing about.  This would apply to all of our Circle Hawaii cruises that embark in Seattle or San Diego.   

If this is what HAL emailed you, it is another indication of their ignorance.  Passenger service has nothing to do with the Jones act.  It is the Passenger vessel service act. 

• Like 2

If you have not booked yet, why not fly to the islands and island hop?

See the real Hawaii islands and experience them.

Having island hopped 4 islands, it is the only way to see and enjoy. The flights between islands are like a shuttle and inexpensive.

Not sure why people cruise to the islands, when most of the time is at sea.  Is at sea the real priority?

11 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

If this is what HAL emailed you, it is another indication of their ignorance.  Passenger service has nothing to do with the Jones act.  It is the Passenger vessel service act. 

Yes, but every cruise line's customer service reps call it the Jones Act, as this is easier to remember and say than the "Passenger Vessel Services Act".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I received this email from our HAL PCC....embarking from Vancouver would be the only possible Hawaii Cruise allowing disembarking in Hawaii (with prior permission)....good to know....!!!

My understanding is that it may be possible to get the approval to disembark in Hawaii if the cruise leaves from Vancouver.  There is a request that I submit for you so that we can get permission in advance.  We have a sailing that departs from Vancouver on September 29, 2019.  Please let me know if you would like some additional information.  Have a great day."

How tied are you to HAL?  why not just book a one way cruise ?  Celebrity and RCL do them.

15 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

How tied are you to HAL?  why not just book a one way cruise ?  Celebrity and RCL do them.

Good point. We're booked for next April with Celebrity, starting in Vancouver and finishing in Honolulu. While we've spent a couple of weeks on the Big Island previously, we wanted to spend a bit of time post-cruise to explore O'ahu.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

If you have not booked yet, why not fly to the islands and island hop?

See the real Hawaii islands and experience them.

Having island hopped 4 islands, it is the only way to see and enjoy. The flights between islands are like a shuttle and inexpensive.

Not sure why people cruise to the islands, when most of the time is at sea.  Is at sea the real priority?

I use to live in Waikiki years ago....and have flown over....rented condo's for a month at a time....and this would be my 16th trip....I love the Islands and it's always a joy to go....:)

I also love the great sea days cruising there and back.....:)

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Good idea.....but we are pretty hooked on HAL...and my other two "roommates" wouldn't want to switch...

I was hoping to hop off in Honolulu....renting a condo.....and having one of my sons and grandson fly over....it would be their first trip to Hawaii.....and they are the only family members who haven't gotten a chance to go........fun times.....!!!!