Boston hotels

The Odd Couple

1 minute ago, The Odd Couple said:

Could anyone recommend a Boston hotel prior to cruise for say 3 nights for someone who has never visited the city before and would like to see the sights and be near reasonably priced restaurants?  Thanks as always for your help.

The Park Plaza is a great place. You can usually get reasonably priced rooms. It's close to the Common and a T stop. Boston is a lovely walkable city, you won't be too far from anything no matter which hotel you choose.

As @Kdanemjm mentioned, Boston is very walkable (bring walking shoes!!!!)

And the subway system (MTA, also called the "T") actually is very good. If you like Chinese food, definitely visit Chinatown (I like Hei La Moon for dim sum and Peach Farm for a dinner). Also, for good Italian go to the North End (I love Giacomo's on Hanover St -- but it is cash only and there are often lines). Depending on the weather, a walk around Harvard (across the river in Cambridge) is good or the Boston Common is always good for a stroll.

And the South End (which used to be sketchy) is now very desireable - good food, interesting art/galleries. If you like aquariums, the one in beantown is good. And I love the science museum!

As far as hotels, Boston isn't cheap... Park Plaza is a good location as is anything near the Common. Some of these are older hotels, so check the reviews to see if they are being well maintained or are living off their reputation from years past.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

This is discussed regularly on the East Coast Departures board. First thing we need to know is your dates. Boston has a lot of stuff going on in the fall.

We're currently looking at a cruise out of Boston on 11 September 2020, and thought we would have a couple of nights in a hotel beforehand. 

17 minutes ago, sippican said:

The W is incredible; near the theater district, the Common and great restaurants. Not sure of your dates, but this is the most amazing feast on Saturdays. http://www.langhamhotels.com/en/the-langham/boston/dining/chocolate-bar/

This is our other favorite restaurant. https://www.teatroboston.com/dinner/

The Langham is closed for renovations until Spring 2020.  The Four Seasons is amazing in terms of srvice and food., not so much for prices.

2 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

The Langham is closed for renovations until Spring 2020.  The Four Seasons is amazing in terms of srvice and food., not so much for prices.

Thanks for the update. The Chocolate Buffet is one of my favorite "must dos". Is there anything comaprable at the Four Seasons?

On 2/17/2019 at 2:03 PM, Paulchili said:

I kind of disagree. We ALL pay gratuities - whether they are included or added as an extra expense. It is this fund that is shared among EVERYONE - included those behind the scene that we do not see. If I am going to tip EXTRA in addition to the basic gratuities then it will be to those that have done something extra or special for me personally.

Now, if you also wish to add to the crew fund, by all means go ahead.

JMO.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Gee, which Queen Mary 2 have I been sailing on? My experiences over 14 cruises and crossings has been the opposite. The food is far from 1960's and with one exception, that got fixed promptly, I have never had sub par service from my butler. I have never felt crowded in the Queens Grill and by the way the Queens Grill looks out on an open Promenade Deck, and the sea beyond not a covered running track. 

10 minutes ago, sippican said:

Thanks for the update. The Chocolate Buffet is one of my favorite "must dos". Is there anything comaprable at the Four Seasons?

They have always had a wonderful brunch on Sundays.

Not sure who the current chef is but we have never had anything but great food there.

Edited by orchestrapal

You may want to check out the Omni Parker House.  It's been there since the 1800s and is the place that the Kennedys' made famous.  Lot's of history and great location on the Freedon Trail.  Also the best place in Boston for a Boston Cream Pie, it was invented there.

Go to Trip Advisor. Great site.  As mentioned, there are events going on during the Fall and colleges are generally opening at that time.  But hotels can be expensive.  Plan on $300-$400 a night.     You want to be downtown.

The T or MBTA works nicely to get around town.  It is a subway system with different color lines.  There are free maps available to explain  the routes.  The North End of good for Italian food and you have Chinatown as well.  

I just looked on TripAdvisor and your week of travel is one of the most expensive hotel weeks in Boston.  I looked at prices and locations.  If I were a guest from out of town, I'd recommend the Seaport Hotel.  It's nice.  Well, it's at the Seaport, which is a great place to be that time of year, and I'm seeing prices of low $300s.  Boston is very walkable and you can still walk just about everywhere from there or even get on the Silver Line to get right downtown.  If money is no object and it's all about location and you don't mind spending $500 to $600, then other hotels mentioned above by others are great choices.