Cape Liberty Question

Fred C

I am really liking seeing all the "it's super easy" and "it's a breeze" type posts as this will be our first time using this port. I assumed was going to be way more expensive, so that's a nice surprise as well. 

We have usually arrived in the 10:30-11 timeframe, and always had very little delay for the dropoff and prime spots for parking.  I believe that is a good window.  I expect that after 12, it will get more congested, but JMHO.

Edited by PigsCanFly
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

We have usually arrived in the 10:30-11 timeframe, and always had very little delay for the dropoff and prime spots for parking.  I believe that is a good window.  I expect that after 12, it will get more congested, but JMHO.

Oh no, you're correct!  The line down the road is as far as the eye can see after this time frame.. Which is when I'm sippin' on my 2nd or 3rd Bloody Mary whilst viewing the parade of cars trying to get to the pier...

49 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

Oh no, you're correct!  The line down the road is as far as the eye can see after this time frame.. Which is when I'm sippin' on my 2nd or 3rd Bloody Mary whilst viewing the parade of cars trying to get to the pier...

Good info, I too had been surprised by the easy breezy comments - I see it's all about timing!  Should we ever choose this departure port we'll overnight in a hotel closer to aim for the early and easier timing!

The garage has 900 parking spots which is sufficient for Anthem.  During summer months however Adventure and X's Summit also sail from Cape Liberty.  This can cause the garage to fill with any overflow directed to nearby street level lots.  Not a real problem, just something to be aware of.

19 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

The garage has 900 parking spots which is sufficient for Anthem.  During summer months however Adventure and X's Summit also sail from Cape Liberty.  This can cause the garage to fill with any overflow directed to nearby street level lots.  Not a real problem, just something to be aware of.

Oh good information, thank you!

Is there a train stop near this port, does anyone know?  That's another method of travel on the East Coast since Amtrak goes pretty much straight up and down here but I don't recall which stops may be near there!

If you use the train, you'll need a cab from the train/mass transit to the pier, you can't walk the road out to the terminal (it's actually not allowed, according to another thread on here but you wouldn't want to anyway).  There is some light rail that runs along 440, so you can get within ~2.5 miles of the pier without a car..

36 minutes ago, hallux said:

If you use the train, you'll need a cab from the train/mass transit to the pier, you can't walk the road out to the terminal (it's actually not allowed, according to another thread on here but you wouldn't want to anyway).  There is some light rail that runs along 440, so you can get within ~2.5 miles of the pier without a car..

Good info too, thanks!  And with what Amtrak can charge these days we still may be better off driving if we do Cape Liberty!

37 minutes ago, hallux said:

Not worth the hassle to get closer.  Best to Taxi or Uber to the port.

This is all good info; however, I work in Newark and visit Cape Liberty very regularly for work and such - and I'll tell you this much.. Parking at the Pier is the easiest and most convenient for cruising out of Bayonne.  While taking Trains, Uber's and /or Cab's and parking at the Airport or at an Airport Park and Ride, the means severely outweigh the ends (or should it be ends outweigh the means in this case lol) to save a few bucks do this, not to mention the hassle if you're running late or something unforeseen arises..  Just my 2 cents here and FWIW, living and working in this area, I'd never cab or Uber from Penn Station or NLIA to the Pier.. 

12 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

This is all good info; however, I work in Newark and visit Cape Liberty very regularly for work and such - and I'll tell you this much.. Parking at the Pier is the easiest and most convenient for cruising out of Bayonne.  While taking Trains, Uber's and /or Cab's and parking at the Airport or at an Airport Park and Ride, the means severely outweigh the ends (or should it be ends outweigh the means in this case lol) to save a few bucks do this, not to mention the hassle if you're running late or something unforeseen arises..  Just my 2 cents here and FWIW, living and working in this area, I'd never cab or Uber from Penn Station or NLIA to the Pier.. 

Doesn't get better than insider knowledge 🙂  Thank you!  That's what I gleaned from reading too - and I tend to be about minimizing connections when traveling so driving/parking is about as minimal as it gets (provided 95 cooperates on the way up HAHAHA)