Balcony Breakfast in Alaska

Dreamer115

We are going to Alaska in May and I was hoping to do the balcony breakfast.  Has anyone done it?  If so opinions please.  Is it warm enough, maybe do in port as least then you aren't moving and there shouldn't be as much wind.  How much notice do you have to give to order the breakfast, would like to know what the weather is going to be like before ordering.  What is the price now, last time I heard it was $40 per couple?

Thanks

Connie

We did it the first week of May last year on the day that we were cruising in Glacier Bay.  I can say that, more than likely, if you are not in port when you do it, then it will, probably, be too chilly to enjoy on the balcony.  We just set up inside the slider and were happy as clams at high tide watching the scenery go by.

Since I don't know your tolerance for cold weather, I really cannot advise whether you would be comfortable having it on your balcony while in port.  I am pretty sure that it will not be warm in May, and it might be rainy.  I think my wife would be OK, but, again, I can't speak for you.  If you are uncomfortable, you can always move inside.

The price is now $45 for two people.  The two times we've done it (second time was on a Mexican Riviera cruise) we used the cruise personalizer and pre-ordered prior to embarkation.

Whatever you decide regarding the breakfast thing, you will have a great cruise to Alaska.

10 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

We did it the first week of May last year on the day that we were cruising in Glacier Bay.  I can say that, more than likely, if you are not in port when you do it, then it will, probably, be too chilly to enjoy on the balcony.  We just set up inside the slider and were happy as clams at high tide watching the scenery go by.

Since I don't know your tolerance for cold weather, I really cannot advise whether you would be comfortable having it on your balcony while in port.  I am pretty sure that it will not be warm in May, and it might be rainy.  I think my wife would be OK, but, again, I can't speak for you.  If you are uncomfortable, you can always move inside.

The price is now $45 for two people.  The two times we've done it (second time was on a Mexican Riviera cruise) we used the cruise personalizer and pre-ordered prior to embarkation.

Whatever you decide regarding the breakfast thing, you will have a great cruise to Alaska.

Thanks.  I live in Vancouver area of BC so used to some cold for sure.  I actually chuckle thinking what some people take on the Alaska cruises as we have similar weather to the area we are going to.  For instance the temperature is quite comparable right now.  The only concern I have is the wind when we are moving.  We have an odd shaped balcony B744 on Golden Princess and I think it may catch the wind.

I do like your idea of maybe doing in just inside and watching the scenery.  We can always head outside to catch pictures or anything important if we wish.  I think the price is great for what you get, a private romantic breakfast.  I think we will book it if possible either just before we go when I can look online at weather reports or after we get on board.

Thanks for your info.

Connie

22 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

We just set up inside the slider and were happy as clams at high tide watching the scenery go by.

Holy Cow! You are the only person I have ever come across who knows how that saying goes! Everybody else I have run across always asked what the heck "happy as a clam" was supposed to mean and was surprised when I explained about the rest of the phrase. Very nice to see someone here who "gets it". 😎

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

It can be a bit warm in Alaska too. My DH and I took a cruise in late June-early July and it was near 80 degrees in Ketchikan.

We also enjoyed room service dinner on the balcony in Juneau.

The idea about eating in your cabin ,looking out the balcony door is a good one also if it is chilly.

A note about the Balcony Breakfast. Friends arranged this as a gift for our 25th anniversary. We were served a LOT of food. So much, we had to put some away for later snacking (danish, bagels,fruit ).

If you do not want all the food involved,you can always order room service breakfast which is mostly continental,with limited hot food items.

We always order RS breakfast on  cruises as it gives us a leisurely start to our day.

12 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

It can be a bit warm in Alaska too. My DH and I took a cruise in late June-early July and it was near 80 degrees in Ketchikan.

The idea about eating in your cabin ,looking out the balcony door is a good one also if it is chilly.

A note about the Balcony Breakfast. Friends arranged this as a gift for our 25th anniversary. We were served a LOT of food. So much, we had to put some away for later snacking (danish, bagels,fruit ).

If you do not want all the food involved,you can always order room service breakfast which is mostly continental,with limited hot food items.

We always order RS breakfast on  cruises as it gives us a leisurely start to our day.

That would definitely save some money.  Also I think we are not far from the buffet so could go get it and bring it back.  The only thing is they took away the tables didn't they, so only the little table on the balcony.

16 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

That is what I was wondering, how in the heck can you have a meal on your balcony with no table?  I  don't think it would be any fun trying to eat hunched over the little drink stand.  Where would they put everything?

I am pretty sure that when you have the special balcony breakfast they bring a table and table cloth make it fancy for you.  When you have room service or bring it back yourself, no table.  None in room anymore and only enough room for drinks on the table on the balcony now.

• Like 1

Been there 21 times in all sorts of weather. Forget the breakfast there (sounds romantic though),, it will get cold as soon as you uncover the plate. eat fast, instead, have nice breakfast somewhere warm & get cup of coffee to sit on balcony for view. 

15 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Weather is a roll of the dice anytime.  We did Alaska on Coral in May several years ago and were in shirtsleeves on our balcony while cruising Glacier Bay.

My experience with room service breakfast is that you can write in requests on the door hanger order form and they will do their best to accommodate.  I often order a Monte Cristo Sandwich for breakfast.  The MC is in the book of room service options.

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 1

We are leaving for Alaska at the end of April and will be in Glacier Bay on May 4th. I have already ordered the balcony breakfast for that day. I realize that it might be too cold or windy, but I figure that we can always eat inside the room and more out to the balcony as we want. I am so excited. We went to Alaska 2 years ago, and I am just as excited, if not more so, than last time. 38 days to sail away!!

2 hours ago, SuthernComf44 said:

We are leaving for Alaska at the end of April and will be in Glacier Bay on May 4th. I have already ordered the balcony breakfast for that day. I realize that it might be too cold or windy, but I figure that we can always eat inside the room and more out to the balcony as we want. I am so excited. We went to Alaska 2 years ago, and I am just as excited, if not more so, than last time. 38 days to sail away!!

We are 59 days away.  

3 hours ago, SuthernComf44 said:

Hi SuthernComf44, My DH and I are on the same cruise.   We have a complimentary balcony breakfast for this cruise.   I have never done this before.   Can we just call room service once we are on board to schedule the Balcony Breakfast or do I need to do it before we sail?   One other question, what do they serve for the breakfast?   Do we get to pick from a menu?   Do you know?

32 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

Hi SuthernComf44, My DH and I are on the same cruise.   We have a complimentary balcony breakfast for this cruise.   I have never done this before.   Can we just call room service once we are on board to schedule the Balcony Breakfast or do I need to do it before we sail?   One other question, what do they serve for the breakfast?   Do we get to pick from a menu?   Do you know?

I know you weren't addressing me, tawtaw, but, if I may be so bold, let me give you my experience.

Typically, for complimentary dining, there will be a note in your cabin with instructions.  These instructions tend to vary slightly from ship to ship (different managers),  but, yes, you call room service once you are on board.  I'll bet that the note will ask you to call 24 hours in advance.  So, you probably don't have to rush to call on embarkation day.

As I recall the UBB consists of

• Half-bottle of Champagne
  • Selection of Pastries
  • Fruit Platter
  • Small Quiche
  • Smoked Salmon
  • Carafe of coffee

I really don't remember but I would be surprised if the smoked salmon did not come with a bagel and associated condiments such as tomato and onion slices, lettuce and capers.  They always have those in the buffet.

I don't think there are any menu choices, but I never asked.

5 hours ago, GloriaF said:

I often order a Monte Cristo Sandwich for breakfast.  The MC is in the book of room service options.

Now that sounds like a great idea! Many thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Much better than their "breakfast sandwich".

1 hour ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I would love to answer your questions, but I have never done the balcony breakfast either! LOL So I guess you will learn together! But I have heard very nice reviews about it.

20 hours ago, PekingeseLady said:

That is what I was wondering, how in the heck can you have a meal on your balcony with no table?  I  don't think it would be any fun trying to eat hunched over the little drink stand.  Where would they put everything?

They bring the table for an Ultimate Balcony Dinner. They may do the same for this.

22 hours ago, Dreamer115 said:

That would definitely save some money.  Also I think we are not far from the buffet so could go get it and bring it back.  The only thing is they took away the tables didn't they, so only the little table on the balcony.

We order the egg and sausage (it could be ham) English muffin with the coffee, croissants, jams, juice, etc. Some times I run up and get some bacon from the buffet. We don't do it so much as a balcony breakfast, but a wake up call breakfast in port. Either way, it is enough for us.

Weather can be all over the place we did Alaska in early May Only had light rain 1 /2 a day out of 10, and clear and 68 degrees for Glacier bay. We live in Oregon and the Pacific coast weather is never what you expect.

If its too cold eat inside and enjoy. 

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I know you weren't addressing me, tawtaw, but, if I may be so bold, let me give you my experience.

Typically, for complimentary dining, there will be a note in your cabin with instructions.  These instructions tend to vary slightly from ship to ship (different managers),  but, yes, you call room service once you are on board.  I'll bet that the note will ask you to call 24 hours in advance.  So, you probably don't have to rush to call on embarkation day.

As I recall the UBB consists of

• Half-bottle of Champagne
  • Selection of Pastries
  • Fruit Platter
  • Small Quiche
  • Smoked Salmon
  • Carafe of coffee

I really don't remember but I would be surprised if the smoked salmon did not come with a bagel and associated condiments such as tomato and onion slices, lettuce and capers.  They always have those in the buffet.

I don't think there are any menu choices, but I never asked.

XBGuy, Thank you so much!!!!   This was very helpful and much appreciated.