Amsterdam hotel recommendations

Petronillus

DW & I and two close friends are booked on 2-week the Rotterdam Baltic Sea cruise out of Amsterdam on September 7. DW & I are flying in on the 5th in the hopes of shaking off the effects of jet lag before sailaway. At this point in our lives this is likely the last chance DW & I will take to experience Amsterdam. Having checked other threads on CC, I see strong recommendations for the Park Plaza Victoria and for the Renaissance on Kattegat. They seem to be well situated relative to the Rijksmuseum and the Anne Frank House, which is my primary criterion. But I figure that my friends on CC (and particularly the HAL board) have other gems you'd be willing to share. What do you say? After an overnight flight from Chicago, we'll have about 1.75 days (2 overnights) to take in Amsterdam. What do you think would be our best base of operations until we report for boarding on the 7th? I don't want to say that price is no object, but it's not my number 1 consideration.

As always, thanks in advance!

Loved, loved, the Banks Mansion.  Literally all inclusive.  Central enough to walk to Anne Franks (pre book your tickets on line) and to the Museum district.  Fantastic staff, cheese tray and treats at night along with wine.

Other drinks (alcoholic and not) available 24/7 with a great coffee machine and breakfast (for us) was wonderful.  Our friends that stayed there were quite happy 😉 

And friends also stayed at JlL No 76 ( I think that’s the number but just google and it will pop up) .  It’s in the museum district.

Amsterdam is a fabulous city.  The people are great and welcoming.  Enjoy every minute of it 🙂 

We’d stay there in a heartbeat.  

My friend and I enjoyed the Dikker and Thiese.    The location is the same canal as the Anne Frank house.   We walked there from the hotel.  Loads of restaurants  in a restaurant district just around the corner.    It's a little funky if you are looking for something like an American hotel, but the location is great.    It was very comfortable.   We would definitely stay there again.    I have also stayed at the Movenpick which is just a block from the train station.    It was much more like an American hotel but not nearly as convenient for eating or as fun.

My TA booked me into the Nova Hotel last year.  Great, small European hotel, conveniently located.  Breakfast included.  I walked everywhere.  About $150 USD per night.

Roz

2 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Many thanks! We've booked with the Banks Mansion. It's pricey, but then again, it's likely our only visit to Amsterdam. YOLO -- at least on this side of the grave.

I fell in love with Amsterdam last year, and am obsessed with researching ways to go back there on a land vacation.  It is a fascinating city and exceeded my expectations.

Roz

We always stay at hotel right at the airport.  From the train station located right there you canard a train and get to anywhere in Europe.  The Hilton is very nice and has a good breakfast included.  Also very easy to get a rental car for just the had if needed.

3 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Many thanks! We've booked with the Banks Mansion. It's pricey, but then again, it's likely our only visit to Amsterdam. YOLO -- at least on this side of the grave.

I really don’t think you will be sorry.

They will give you maps, help you find your way and do get back for cheese tray time.  The schedule is on a board in the “library:” so you can see what the extra munchies are.  It’s all fresh and delish.

Staff are fabulous. Breakfast was wonderful.  I don’t know if you followed my LIVE thread or not but I posted a few pics of it.

subscribed threads (where I kept my LIVE ones) are gone but I can see if I can find it for you if you want.

Service is fabulous.  Wait until you see how you get your suitcase up the stairs (they have a mini escalator for your suitcase) and it’s right on the canal.

I hope you like it.  We sure did.  My next test is Hotel Brianna in Lisbon - I love boutique hotels 😉 

Here's another vote for the Banks Mansion!  Very nice and centrally located hotel, especially for the Rembrantplein (sp?)-Rembrant Square.  There is a very good Indonesian restaurant on the Square, too.   However, on a forthcoming cruise out of Amsterdam, we chose the Movenpick, only because it is in walking distance to the cruise terminal. 

10 hours ago, Bill S said:

Here's another vote for the Banks Mansion!  Very nice and centrally located hotel, especially for the Rembrantplein (sp?)-Rembrant Square.  There is a very good Indonesian restaurant on the Square, too.   However, on a forthcoming cruise out of Amsterdam, we chose the Movenpick, only because it is in walking distance to the cruise terminal. 

Yes, yes, yes to the Indonesian Rijstaffel (rice table)!  Yum!  I saw this on Rick Steve's segment on Amsterdam, and sought one out on my pre-river cruise stay in Amsterdam last year.  

Roz