12:00-12:30 Arrival Time

cruisin2604

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

On most Carnival ships there are still people leaving the ship from the previous cruise well after 10 AM. When we sailed on Horizon just a few weeks ago people were still leaving the ship from the previous cruise at 10:40 AM. 

It still sounds to me like you picked the wrong cruise line based on your preferences. Personally I would not book a cruise if I didn’t like the policies of that cruise line. One thing I can guarantee is Carnival is not going to change their process to make one person happy. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who doesn't like the boarding policy 🙂

And as I said, it's hardly make or break.  But this is a discussion about this specific policy/topic, so I'm engaging in it.  I've sailed Carnival several times before and been able to get earlier times.  I'm not liking that now 12 is the new 10:30.  So yeah, it was a bit surprising for me.  I set a reminder to check in as soon as it opened to make sure we got our early boarding time and 12 it is.  Not thrilled about it and it won't ruin my cruise by any stretch.  Just discussing the merits of it and why I don't like it.

1 hour ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Okay, "kicked out" is a bit strong. That was the check-out time. We could have asked for a later checkout but my husband never wants to bother. We wandered around exploring a bit longer, but we'd already explored for several hours the night before and earlier that morning. Honestly, it wasn't a big deal, especially because we were able to get onto the ship anyway.

I got ya. 10 just seems early to me. I probably have 15-20 hotel stays a year and think I may have been in a 10:30 hotel but they're almost all 11am for me. Maybe just different cities. But I think any hotel would let you stay till 11 if you wanted. I can get the 11am ones extended to noon if I want to.

Edited by Saint Greg

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Huh?  No, I expect to be on the ship when they open it up for boarding.  My last cruise on Harmony, this was at 10:20AM.

Your comment seriously makes no sense at all.  They start boarding as soon as possible, it has no effect on whether they clean the kitchen.  I would like to board when they start the boarding process.  I have found that arriving at the port at 10AM, I'm not even close to the first person, but before all the lines and crowds.  It's pleasant.  And usually end up sitting for 30 - 45 minutes.  If you actually try it, you'll see.... they already have carts setup to serve you drinks, bars open, etc.  They are more than prepared for guests when they start boarding.

I'm not sure you even understand how turnaround works when it comes to preparation and cleaning.

When you board early, you get to avoid the chaos, long lines at the buffet, etc.  It's a VERY pleasant way to do embarkation.  10AM works every time.  It just sucks that Carnival doesn't allow it.  So we'll board at 12 and the buffet line will be wrapped around the lido deck and no tables available... yay!!! 

You can keep arguing with yourself if you like and see if that changes the outcome.

I see some people keep mentioned that P/D/FTTF are allowed to show up anytime they want. Yes, that's true, but as a priority passenger, you still have to choose a check-in time. And actually, Carnival still wants priority passengers to choose a check-in time that corresponds with the time you're actually going to arrive at the terminal. Even though you're priority, picking the right time and abiding by it helps staggered check-in run as it should. My guess is, a lot of priority passengers pick the earliest times available, even though they know they won't arrive at the terminal until later. Aside from the fact that Carnival wants you to pick a time when you're actually arriving, doing that screws other people out of that earlier time slot that you don't use and they would. My advice is, if you know you're not getting to the terminal until later, or simply don't want to like so many have said, then don't hog one of the earlier check-in times. Let someone have it who's actually going to use it.

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

When you board early, you get to avoid the chaos, long lines at the buffet, etc.  It's a VERY pleasant way to do embarkation.  10AM works every time.  It just sucks that Carnival doesn't allow it.  So we'll board at 12 and the buffet line will be wrapped around the lido deck and no tables available... yay!!! 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. We, too, like to board as soon as we can to get our cruise started as early as possible and, quite frankly, it gets old reading all the negative comments directed at those who do. "I don't understand why anyone is in such a hurry to get on the ship." You do you, I'll do me.

Let me ask you this. How soon do the other lines you cruise get their previous passengers off the ship? Because that's a huge factor as to when Carnival starts boarding. More often than not, they don't empty their ships and get cleared by the USCG until 10-10:30. And I think they're still getting used to perfecting the process with their two largest ships. They're fairly new to the mega-ship game, so my guess is they have some learning to do.

22 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. We, too, like to board as soon as we can to get our cruise started as early as possible and, quite frankly, it gets old reading all the negative comments directed at those who do. "I don't understand why anyone is in such a hurry to get on the ship." You do you, I'll do me.

Let me ask you this. How soon do the other lines you cruise get their previous passengers off the ship? Because that's a huge factor as to when Carnival starts boarding. More often than not, they don't empty their ships and get cleared by the USCG until 10-10:30. And I think they're still getting used to perfecting the process with their two largest ships. They're fairly new to the mega-ship game, so my guess is they have some learning to do.

Right, why would anyone be in a hurry to get on the ship?  Do people not look forward to the cruises they book?!  Of course I'm in a hurry to board and get on the ship!  But more importantly, I like an experience with no chaos and crowds.  And boarding early provides that perfectly.

As for other lines, I think they all board in the 10:30 - 11:30 range.  Which is why I'm not a fan of Carnivals forced staggered check-in.  All the other lines handle it just fine, why can't Carnival?  But it is what it is, I'll note it for next booking. I do like Carnival, great product at a great price.  It's not my first choice, but for this sailing, the price was so much better that it was a no brainer.

My last cruise was on Celebrity Reflection, and we boarded around 11:15 I believe.  Had to wait for 45 minutes or so in the terminal.  It was fine, comfortable seats, pleasant.  We always arrive at 10AM, by the time you park, get inside, check in, 10:20 - 10:30... hang out for a little bit then board.  I love when the boarding announcement is made.  There is a sense of excitement in the terminal.  I enjoy being there for that.  You would think there was something wrong with being excited to cruise, on a cruise ship forum!

I don't see a way to change the check in time.  So, yes, we have 2 cabins with 11-11:30, but the other 3 are an hour later.  I would not have a problem with changing the check in time, but I don't see that there is a way to do that.  Another odd thing is that the boarding passes for the 3 later cabins have the boarding zone printed on them.  The 2 early cabins just have that spot blank.  

Interesting discussion.  We are sailing on the Horizon for an 8 day sailing that departs on Easter weekend, out of Port Miami.  The earliest arrival time available (we selected it the moment slots opened up) is 12:30 pm.   We live locally and will be parking at the port.  Based on past experience, finding a parking space in the garage near the ship can be hit or miss.  Usually, earlier the better.  So, we will probably plan on arriving at Port Miami early enough to have dropped off our luggage, parked and be at the terminal entrance at 11:30 am.   The question I have is:  where will we wait?  Will we be standing outside for an hour? Or, since there are no earlier check-in times than 12:30 pm, will they open up the terminal earlier than that to start checking people in, and then we can sit inside the terminal until our name is called?  Thanks.

Edited by elephant98

While many, including myself, like to check in early and then board soon afterwards, it is not up to us to make that decision.  Carnival has control of when we can enter the terminal and later the ship 

I used to plan to arrive between 10 and 10:30 as a Platinum and now Diamond.  Now I've pushed that back to at least 11 to 11:30 AM.  I generally have no issue finding parking at the terminal garage.  Lately as a Diamond I've probably boarded Carnival ships in MIA and FLL more often after noon than before.  I can recall 3 cruises where I wasn't able to board until after 1PM.

I'd love to go against Carnival's later check in and boarding process, but they stop me and all my whining and wishing can't make it -  so I adapt to their changes and still get on the ship while things on board are still pretty quiet.

37 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

Interesting discussion.  We are sailing on the Horizon for an 8 day sailing that departs on Easter weekend, out of Port Miami.  The earliest arrival time available (we selected it the moment slots opened up) is 12:30 pm.   We live locally and will be parking at the port.  Based on past experience, finding a parking space in the garage near the ship can be hit or miss.  Usually, earlier the better.  So, we will probably plan on arriving at Port Miami early enough to have dropped off our luggage, parked and be at the terminal entrance at 11:30 am.   The question I have is:  where will we wait?  Will we be standing outside for an hour? Or, since there are no earlier check-in times than 12:30 pm, will they open up the terminal earlier than that to start checking people in, and then we can sit inside the terminal until our name is called?  Thanks.

If you get there at 11:30 you might have to stand outside. Or you might get lucky like we did,  got in early/late line and basically walked right in. Yes we were prepared to wait if necessary.

I'm sure it depends on how busy the port is that day, it very well may change on a weekly basis.