12:00-12:30 Arrival Time

cruisin2604

4 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

It does not matter what check in time you choose if you have FTTF. You can arrive as early as 9:30, and as soon as boarding begins, once the P&D board, FTTF board. The check in time you choose has no relevance. 

I know. People were just talking about why they were seeing later check-in times even though they went into their cruise manager early to pick one.

The check-in time chosen by priority passengers does have relevance. Even though P/D/FTTF are allowed to arrive earlier than their chosen check-in time, Carnival still prefers that everyone (including priority passengers) pick a time when they believe they'll actually arrive at the terminal. This helps staggered check-in work as smoothly as possible, as it was designed.

I was on vista in feb. I got my check-in time on the first day it was available and I got 11:30. I arrived at 11:18. They put me in the early arrival line. But the lines were so short it didn’t make a difference. I was on the ship in 15mins.

13 hours ago, evandbob said:

I think the days of boarding a ship at 10AM, or even 11AM are done and over.  I usually arrive in MIA or FLL around 11AM to check in as a Diamond, and I've had to wait till noon or later to board.  

My last cruise on the Magic last month didn't begin boarding until 1:30PM, ostensibly due to a surprise USCG inspection.

Why is it only Carnival has this issue? For our upcoming, we got 12-12:30 as well and I'm not happy about that. We like to show up around 10AM when cruising. Better parking, no crowds, etc. And get to board almost always before 11.

Other lines don't have this problem. And it will definitely effect my decision to book Carnival moving forward. Can't get FTTF either. Booked long ago, check regularly, always sold out. 

I think the days of boarding a ship at 10AM, or even 11AM are done and over.  I usually arrive in MIA or FLL around 11AM to check in as a Diamond, and I've had to wait till noon or later to board.  

My last cruise on the Magic last month didn't begin boarding until 1:30PM, ostensibly due to a surprise USCG inspection.

Why is it only Carnival has this issue? For our upcoming, we got 12-12:30 as well and I'm not happy about that. We like to show up around 10AM when cruising. Better parking, no crowds, etc. And get to board almost always before 11.

Other lines don't have this problem. And it will definitely effect my decision to book Carnival moving forward. Can't get FTTF either. Booked long ago, check regularly, always sold out. 

I think the days of boarding a ship at 10AM, or even 11AM are done and over. 

I agree.  For my Miami cruise in February on the Glory, when I think about it I realize that I ended up on the ship about the same time, I just didn't have the crowds and lines and sitting in a terminal first.  Rather than getting nostalgic about the 10AM en masse arrival, I just shifted my perspective and plans for arrival about 90 minutes later.   

2 minutes ago, naxer said:

I agree.  For my Miami cruise in February on the Glory, when I think about it I realize that I ended up on the ship about the same time, I just didn't have the crowds and lines and sitting in a terminal first.  Rather than getting nostalgic about the 10AM en masse arrival, I just shifted my perspective and plans for arrival about 90 minutes later.   

For me it's 2 hours later. And for people that have 11AM hotel checkouts, what are they expected to do? Sit outside on the curb? Carnivals enforcement of these check in times sucks, to say the least. No other line does this and check-in is a breeze on those lines. 

23 minutes ago, BNBR said:

For me it's 2 hours later. And for people that have 11AM hotel checkouts, what are they expected to do? Sit outside on the curb? Carnivals enforcement of these check in times sucks, to say the least. No other line does this and check-in is a breeze on those lines. 

Check in is NOT a Breeze on other lines! I just returned to Carnival this March, and enjoyed breezing through with FTTF, after a cruise the year before on NCL where I waited an hour and a half in line. The lines were CRAZY! By not enforcing their check in times (and they DO have check in times) they have crazy long lines to deal with. I knew I no longer wanted to deal with that, so I purchased FTTF for my last cruise, and just did again for my April 2020 B2B (being it for the first leg only).

15 hours ago, evandbob said:

I think the days of boarding a ship at 10AM, or even 11AM are done and over.

Maybe we just got lucky, but we cruised on Horizon out of Miami less than two weeks ago and on Sunshine out of Canaveral in February. Both times they started boarding at 11:00 AM and we were sitting at the atrium bar with a drink on both cruises by 11:15 AM.  We are both Platinum so that helps a little.  Last Summer on Magic out of Canaveral boarding began at 10:30 AM, which is the earliest we have experienced in years. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Carnival has an early/late arrival line in Miami to accommodate those pax. We had an 11:30 in May, got to the terminal at 10:30.

Just went to early/late line ( nobody in it) and checked right in without any issue. Terminal wasn't busy at all. We were prepared to be told we had to wait, had they been busy.

Just now, beerman2 said:

Carnival has an early/late arrival line in Miami to accommodate those pax. We had an 11:30 in May, got to the terminal at 10:30.

Just went to early/late line ( nobody in it) and checked right in without any issue. Terminal wasn't busy at all. We were prepared to be told we had to wait, had they been busy.

We have a trip coming up in June but out of PE. They have a line where you can just show up early and not wait? 

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

We have a trip coming up in June but out of PE. They have a line where you can just show up early and not wait? 

Not sure on PE, hopefully Carnival is consistent and has an early/late line there.

Don't know if we were just lucky on timing but it was great.

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Not sure on PE, hopefully Carnival is consistent and has an early/late line there.

Don't know if we were just lucky on timing but it was great.

We were kicked out of our hotel by 10. We could have continued to explore the Queen Mary, but we'd been doing that for hours already and the kids were antsy.

So we packed up the car and drove the 100 yards or so from the Queen Mary lot to the Carnival garage (this was in Long Beach).

After giving luggage to the porter, it was still just like 10:30-ish. I didn't think we could go early, so we walked over to the shore and sat down to chitchat. We took photos and just relaxed. Finally a little after 11, I couldn't hold the kids back, so we walked over to the entrance of the terminal.

Our check-in window was supposed to be 12:30-1 so I was prepared to be put into the Early/Late line and stand around and wait for over an hour, but we just walked in. I started to go to the Early/Late line, but the folks checking passports at the door just called us over into the regular line. We tried to correct them, but they shook their heads. We then got sent on our way towards check-in. We literally never stopped walking for longer than to show our documents and then get boarding passes. We just kept walking until we were on the ship about 5-10 minutes later.

Finished with lunch and already playing in Waterworks by the time our "check-in window" came.

6 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We were kicked out of our hotel by 10. We could have continued to explore the Queen Mary, but we'd been doing that for hours already and the kids were antsy.

So we packed up the car and drove the 100 yards or so from the Queen Mary lot to the Carnival garage (this was in Long Beach).

After giving luggage to the porter, it was still just like 10:30-ish. I didn't think we could go early, so we walked over to the shore and sat down to chitchat. We took photos and just relaxed. Finally a little after 11, I couldn't hold the kids back, so we walked over to the entrance of the terminal.

Our check-in window was supposed to be 12:30-1 so I was prepared to be put into the Early/Late line and stand around and wait for over an hour, but we just walked in. I started to go to the Early/Late line, but the folks checking passports at the door just called us over into the regular line. We tried to correct them, but they shook their heads. We then got sent on our way towards check-in. We literally never stopped walking for longer than to show our documents and then get boarding passes. We just kept walking until we were on the ship about 5-10 minutes later.

Finished with lunch and already playing in Waterworks by the time our "check-in window" came.

Its a challenge to plan around because it's all based on the bouncer managing the line and what kind of mood they are in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Go to brunch or something? Why is the cruise line supposed to plan around your schedule?

2 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Go to brunch or something? Why is the cruise line supposed to plan around your schedule?

Lol. Every other cruise line, show up when you want, easy check-in walk on and start vacation.  Carnival... Go grab brunch or something.  Got it. 

I don't want to go get brunch. I am paying for the first day. I'd like to settle in, grab a drink and lunch on the ship. It's what I enjoy doing.  I tried to get earliest by checking in immediately when it opened and supposedly not until after noon.... 

As I said, Carnival can do what they want, and it's something that will effect my decisions on which of the MANY cruise lines to book. It's not a primary decision making thing, but will be considered of course. 

Edited by BNBR

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

Here is a trick. Check Monday at around 9 am, that is when they release them so I've heard!

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

You would base your whole vacation around being able to check-in an hour earlier? I mean I guess it would be annoying to have no where to go. I've never had that problem. I would probably look for a different hotel vs cruise line personally.

For as exciting embarkation day is to get on the boat and start your cruise, I never understood the allure of being on the ship as soon as possible, unless you have P/D or FTTF. The boat is in chaos mode and your room isn't ready. Meanwhile, I'm relaxing at my resort by the pool and then around 1, walk right on the ship, into my room, and we're good to go.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dmdiver said:

We have 5 cabins with a check in time of 11-11:30 for 2 of them and 12:30-1 for the other 3.  What is odd, is when we first booked the cruise last year, I was able to start on online check in & pick 11-11:30 check in time.  Then, after all the website changes, I noticed that 3 of the cabins were no longer showing a check in time.  I called Carnival to see what was going on & the phone rep said she didn't know, but wasn't able to make any changes to check in times.  Her suggestion was for all of us to show up at the earlier time.  I don't really want to do that, since I'm pretty sure they would make the others wait until their assigned time.  We all want to board together to get our welcome aboard pic together - there are 9 of us.  Plus, we are all riding together, so it's dumb to have different check in times.  I would say we could leave home later, but I like to have plenty of cushion in the event of car or traffic issues.  Sounds like we may just have to figure out a way to kill time before boarding.  I'd rather eat a Guy's burger for lunch than eat in Galveston somewhere.  Anyway, it's just odd that we were able to pick a check in time at booking when we hadn't made final payment.  It's also odd that the check in time disappeared on some cabins, but not others.

That does seem odd.  Where are the bookings tied together?  

9 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

You would base your whole vacation around being able to check-in an hour earlier? I mean I guess it would be annoying to have no where to go. I've never had that problem. I would probably look for a different hotel vs cruise line personally.

For as excited embarkation day is to get on the boat and start your cruise, I never understood the allure of being on the ship as soon as possible, unless you have P/D or FTTF. The boat is in chaos mode and your room isn't ready. Meanwhile, I'm relaxing at my resort by the pool and then around 1, walk right on the ship, into my room, and we're good to go.

I'm with you, Joe.  It's usually chaos on embarkation day, anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

For as excited embarkation day is to get on the boat and start your cruise, I never understood the allure of being on the ship as soon as possible, unless you have P/D or FTTF. The boat is in chaos mode and your room isn't ready. Meanwhile, I'm relaxing at my resort by the pool and then around 1, walk right on the ship, into my room, and we're good to go.

I have the opposite experience. When we board early the boat is empty, relaxed, we grab a drink and hang out. Then when lunch venues open, it's before the crowds so a nice relaxed lunch. Then rooms open up shortly after and we wander down there. It's a great start for us. 

We live locally. I can just stay home. But that sucks. We sit at home for hours just waiting.  Even at 10AM, we are early risers, usually sitting around waiting. Add 2 more hours and it's annoying. Plus arriving after lunch screws up eating schedule. I want lunch on the ship.

I wouldn't base my whole vacation around it, merely pointing out that I would factor it in. It's more important to me than others and that's ok! 

My point is really that it's poor hospitality from Carnival. Other lines don't have this issue. And not only do they not have the issue, they actively improve infrastructure and check in processes to accomodate guests at their preferred arrival times. Carnivals solution is the opposite, just tell people to not show up or sit on a curb outside in the sun. Obviously that's not good guest service! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Check in is NOT a Breeze on other lines! I just returned to Carnival this March, and enjoyed breezing through with FTTF, after a cruise the year before on NCL where I waited an hour and a half in line. The lines were CRAZY! By not enforcing their check in times (and they DO have check in times) they have crazy long lines to deal with. I knew I no longer wanted to deal with that, so I purchased FTTF for my last cruise, and just did again for my April 2020 B2B (being it for the first leg only).

ITA.  We have sailed out of Galveston on Carnival and RC and Carnival is a much smoother embarkation.  RC was pretty chaotic.  I have frankly found Carnival the smoothest of the three lines I have sailed and we have never bought FTTF.  

5 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

I'm with you, Joe.  It's usually chaos on embarkation day, anyway. 

Correct. Hence it's better to arrive early or late. During the middle can be chaotic which is why 12 sucks! We always arrive at 10AM on other cruise lines. Walk right in, no wait, sometimes right on to a quiet ship or a pleasant waiting area (some with kids play zone) for 30-45 minutes then board.  Opposite of chaos. Easy parking too since the previous cruisers are all leaving. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

ITA.  We have sailed out of Galveston on Carnival and RC and Carnival is a much smoother embarkation.  RC was pretty chaotic.  I have frankly found Carnival the smoothest of the three lines I have sailed and we have never bought FTTF.  

My last 3 Royal sailings are all Oasis class out of Port Everglades. Nothing competes with the infrastructure and smoothness. For smaller ships out of Galveston, I couldnt compare.

Last sailing on Carnival was Glory out of Miami. With FTTF.  The check in was fine. But not enough seating and just not good infrastructure. Had to sit on the floor. 

Oasis has a huge waiting area, beautifully organized by loyalty status. Super orderly. And even has a kids play zone. They use ipads and a rapid check in system. It's really fantastic.

• Like 1