12:00-12:30 Arrival Time

cruisin2604

7 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

That does seem odd.  Where are the bookings tied together?  

Well, that's another thing.  Supposedly they were when we booked 4 of them.  The 5th cabin was booked at a later date, so I can see how that could have not gotten linked.  However, when I was on the phone with Carnival, she said none of them were linked.  She said she had them all linked together now.  What I don't understand is why when you add bookings to your online account, it doesn't link them.  I mean, I can go into each reservation & make changes & purchases, yet they were not showing linked in her system.  Anyway, I think either our PVP at the time messed up when he moved them from one date/ship to another or the system messed up when they started changing everything to the new look.

9 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

I'm with you, Joe.  It's usually chaos on embarkation day, anyway. 

It's chaos midday. Earlier in the day it's lovely. I love being one of the first onto a quiet ship and not having to wait in a huge line to get a burger or burrito. I love getting my choice of chairs by the pool. I love being able to go down the waterslides with zero wait.

I don't want to get lunch somewhere else in port. I paid for the first day on the ship. I don't care if my room isn't ready. I rarely spend any time in there anyway. So I carry my bag with me to lunch. Big deal. So my bag comes with me to the pool. Fine with me -- I'll have the things I need.

And then sometime around 1:30 or 2, by then I've eaten and enjoyed the water park or lounged sufficiently by the pool and my peaceful quietness is gone bc the crowds have started. At that point I'll seek out my room. Maybe.

But the earlier, the quieter. And the more I'm getting to enjoy the ship.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I have the opposite experience. When we board early the boat is empty, relaxed, we grab a drink and hang out. Then when lunch venues open, it's before the crowds so a nice relaxed lunch. Then rooms open up shortly after and we wander down there. It's a great start for us. 

We live locally. I can just stay home. But that sucks. We sit at home for hours just waiting.  Even at 10AM, we are early risers, usually sitting around waiting. Add 2 more hours and it's annoying. Plus arriving after lunch screws up eating schedule. I want lunch on the ship.

I wouldn't base my whole vacation around it, merely pointing out that I would factor it in. It's more important to me than others and that's ok! 

My point is really that it's poor hospitality from Carnival. Other lines don't have this issue. And not only do they not have the issue, they actively improve infrastructure and check in processes to accomodate guests at their preferred arrival times. Carnivals solution is the opposite, just tell people to not show up or sit on a curb outside in the sun. Obviously that's not good guest service! 

I think Carnival’s revamped check-in policy has significantly improved the process. Since Carnival switched to appointment times, we have never seen a very long line in the current appointment time line no matter what time we showed up (we are platimum so we can show up any time). On the other hand, more than a few times we have seen very long lines in the early/late line.  As long as you stick to your appointment time, your check-in experience should go quickly.  And you do have the ability to select your desired check-in time online. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think Carnival’s revamped check-in policy has significantly improved the process. Since Carnival switched to appointment times, we have never seen a very long line in the current appointment time line no matter what time we showed up (we are platimum so we can show up any time). On the other hand, more than a few times we have seen very long lines in the early/late line.  As long as you stick to your appointment time, your check-in experience should go quickly.  And you do have the ability to select your desired check-in time online. 

The earliest check-in available, even the moment times were released, is 12-12:30.  So I couldn't just select a desireable time, which for me is 10AM.

2 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We were kicked out of our hotel by 10. We could have continued to explore the Queen Mary, but we'd been doing that for hours already and the kids were antsy.

So we packed up the car and drove the 100 yards or so from the Queen Mary lot to the Carnival garage (this was in Long Beach).

After giving luggage to the porter, it was still just like 10:30-ish. I didn't think we could go early, so we walked over to the shore and sat down to chitchat. We took photos and just relaxed. Finally a little after 11, I couldn't hold the kids back, so we walked over to the entrance of the terminal.

Our check-in window was supposed to be 12:30-1 so I was prepared to be put into the Early/Late line and stand around and wait for over an hour, but we just walked in. I started to go to the Early/Late line, but the folks checking passports at the door just called us over into the regular line. We tried to correct them, but they shook their heads. We then got sent on our way towards check-in. We literally never stopped walking for longer than to show our documents and then get boarding passes. We just kept walking until we were on the ship about 5-10 minutes later.

Finished with lunch and already playing in Waterworks by the time our "check-in window" came.

Kicked out by 10? That's crazy. I've never seen that at a hotel. Did you ask for a late checkout?

I'm in the camp of those wanting to get the cruise started , earlier on board the better. It is peaceful, you can enjoy that first drink or 2, have lunch and beat the crowds. I've already paid for lunch/drinks , no need to drop more $$, as we've done that the day before.

Even if I have to wait at the dock it's better than waiting at hotel. Love experiencing the hustle and bustle at the port.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BNBR said:

For me it's 2 hours later. And for people that have 11AM hotel checkouts, what are they expected to do? Sit outside on the curb? Carnivals enforcement of these check in times sucks, to say the least. No other line does this and check-in is a breeze on those lines. 

This is the "change my perspective part."   If my arrival appointment is later, I would check out at 11 and ask the hotel to hold my bags for an hour or two while I go do something else.  I always pick my hotels in an area I want to walk around in and try bakeries and restaurants and things.  My night before the cruise is always fun for me.  Two cruises ago I did have a later arrival appointment in Long Beach and I ended up going to one of the neatest brunch places I had ever been to.  On a vacation, I make a vacation of it.

Edited by naxer
clarity

55 minutes ago, BNBR said:

The earliest check-in available, even the moment times were released, is 12-12:30.  So I couldn't just select a desireable time, which for me is 10AM.

You always have the option to show up earlier than your appointment time or purchase FTTF.  It sounds to me like your desires don’t coincide with Carnival, since boarding usually begins between 11 AM and 11:30 AM. Even as platinum I wouldn’t get to the terminal at 10 AM, since sitting around in their terminal for 60 - 90 minutes isn’t high on my list. 

1 minute ago, naxer said:

This is the "change my perspective part."   If my arrival appointment is later, I would check out at 11 and ask the hotel to hold my bags for an hour or two while I go do something else.  I always pick my hotels in an area I want to walk around in and try bakeries and restaurants and things.  My night before the cruise is always fun for me.  Two cruises ago I did have a later check in and I ended up going to one of the neatest brunch places I had ever been to in Long Beach.  On a vacation, I make a vacation of it.

I don't want to change your perspective on boarding early or late. It's about choice. If you like arriving later and exploring, you should do that. But like every other line, if you would like to arrive at 10 AM and be on the ship early, you should be able to do that, too. 

I don't want to have lunch at home (I am local) and sit around waiting for hours. I am not going sight seeing where I live! So for me, it's sit on the couch waiting and boarding after lunch, or getting on early, before crowds, have drinks, lunch on board, and enjoy myself.

Thats what works for us. As I said, I just find it ridiculous that Carnival has this policy. It's a total non issue on every other cruise line and allows everyone to board at their preferred times. What's wrong with that? 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You always have the option to show up earlier than your appointment time or purchase FTTF.  It sounds to me like your desires don’t coincide with Carnival, since boarding usually begins between 11 AM and 11:30 AM. Even as platinum I wouldn’t get to the terminal at 10 AM, since sitting around in their terminal for 60 - 90 minutes isn’t high on my list. 

Good info. We will just roll with it this cruise and show up at 12 and see how things go. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. We typically like to get there early and find a nice place to sit and eagerly wait for boarding for a half hour or so. To us it's kind of fun. Hearing the now boarding call and the excitement in the room etc. This will be a little different. We'll see. 

12 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

I'm in the camp of those wanting to get the cruise started , earlier on board the better. It is peaceful, you can enjoy that first drink or 2, have lunch and beat the crowds. I've already paid for lunch/drinks , no need to drop more $$, as we've done that the day before.

Even if I have to wait at the dock it's better than waiting at hotel. Love experiencing the hustle and bustle at the port.

But if you already paid for the lunch and drinks...maybe 4,000 other people have as well. Should they just let 4,000 people line up at 10am? 

Just now, Saint Greg said:

But if you already paid for the lunch and drinks...maybe 4,000 other people have as well. Should they just let 4,000 people line up at 10am? 

You are just fabricating problems. No other line has this issue. 

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I was on vista in feb. I got my check-in time on the first day it was available and I got 11:30. I arrived at 11:18. They put me in the early arrival line. But the lines were so short it didn’t make a difference. I was on the ship in 15mins.

I've done the early/late arrival time a few times.  One was on the Vista when I missed my arrival appointment window by five minutes.  They sent me to the early/late arrival line, but it moved quickly.  After that cruise, I arrived earlier than my appointment window and was on the ship before my appointment time. The early/late arrival line works fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I don't want to change your perspective on boarding early or late. It's about choice. If you like arriving later and exploring, you should do that. But like every other line, if you would like to arrive at 10 AM and be on the ship early, you should be able to do that, too. 

I don't want to have lunch at home (I am local) and sit around waiting for hours. I am not going sight seeing where I live! So for me, it's sit on the couch waiting and boarding after lunch, or getting on early, before crowds, have drinks, lunch on board, and enjoy myself.

Thats what works for us. As I said, I just find it ridiculous that Carnival has this policy. It's a total non issue on every other cruise line and allows everyone to board at their preferred times. What's wrong with that? 

If I were a local at a cruise port I am the type would would come well after the rush and crush and just walk straight to my room.  That's the type of person I am.  

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Not "maybe " all 4,000 HAVE paid for lunch/drinks. Carnival is the one who started the early/late line not the pax, so if it works for Carnival who are we to say otherwise.

Their rules I'm sure if all 4,000 showed up at 10 a.m. every sailing Carnival would change "their" policy.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've done the early/late arrival time a few times.  One was on the Vista when I missed my arrival appointment window by five minutes.  They sent me to the early/late arrival line, but it moved quickly.  After that cruise, I arrived earlier than my appointment window and was on the ship before my appointment time. The early/late arrival line works fine.

With a 12,  I'll shoot for 11:30 and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, naxer said:

If I were a local at a cruise port I am the type would would come well after the rush and crush and just walk straight to my room.  That's the type of person I am.  

It's nice to have options that fit our different personalities. 

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Kicked out by 10? That's crazy. I've never seen that at a hotel. Did you ask for a late checkout?

Okay, "kicked out" is a bit strong. That was the check-out time. We could have asked for a later checkout but my husband never wants to bother. We wandered around exploring a bit longer, but we'd already explored for several hours the night before and earlier that morning. Honestly, it wasn't a big deal, especially because we were able to get onto the ship anyway.

Wow so you expect to be on the ship at 10 AM? Debarkation from the previous trip is barely over at that point and the crew is trying to clean and refill everything. I personally have no problem waiting 2 hours until 12 so that I can make sure my room and all the other places on the ship get a thorough cleaning and preparation. They do a pretty great job and turning that giant ship around if you think about it. Hotels take way longer! Typical check-out time is 11 AM and you can't check in until 3 PM or later at most places.

This is my first Carnival so no platinum and we don't have FTTF. When I checked for Horizon in  the earliest I could get was 12:30. Normally we show up to a port around 11 and sit in the seats and wait for our boarding number to be called. 

From watching videos and reading reviews looks like we might skip the chairs check in and then walk on if we show up around our check in time is that right?

We board on deck 3, forward. Deck plans look like we can not get to the aft elevators from the atrium on Deck 3. Is that right? Thanks 

20 minutes ago, aknguyen said:

Wow so you expect to be on the ship at 10 AM? Debarkation from the previous trip is barely over at that point and the crew is trying to clean and refill everything. I personally have no problem waiting 2 hours until 12 so that I can make sure my room and all the other places on the ship get a thorough cleaning and preparation. They do a pretty great job and turning that giant ship around if you think about it. Hotels take way longer! Typical check-out time is 11 AM and you can't check in until 3 PM or later at most places.

Huh?  No, I expect to be on the ship when they open it up for boarding.  My last cruise on Harmony, this was at 10:20AM.

Your comment seriously makes no sense at all.  They start boarding as soon as possible, it has no effect on whether they clean the kitchen.  I would like to board when they start the boarding process.  I have found that arriving at the port at 10AM, I'm not even close to the first person, but before all the lines and crowds.  It's pleasant.  And usually end up sitting for 30 - 45 minutes.  If you actually try it, you'll see.... they already have carts setup to serve you drinks, bars open, etc.  They are more than prepared for guests when they start boarding.

I'm not sure you even understand how turnaround works when it comes to preparation and cleaning.

When you board early, you get to avoid the chaos, long lines at the buffet, etc.  It's a VERY pleasant way to do embarkation.  10AM works every time.  It just sucks that Carnival doesn't allow it.  So we'll board at 12 and the buffet line will be wrapped around the lido deck and no tables available... yay!!! 

Edited by BNBR

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Not "maybe " all 4,000 HAVE paid for lunch/drinks. Carnival is the one who started the early/late line not the pax, so if it works for Carnival who are we to say otherwise.

Their rules I'm sure if all 4,000 showed up at 10 a.m. every sailing Carnival would change "their" policy.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Not sure if you like Carnival’s old process or new process.  I definitely don’t miss the old process when the lines would be crazy long by the time 12 PM rolled around.  The new process is a huge improvement.  

While more often than not we show up fairly early for check-in, it doesn’t matter to me if we don’t maximize every possible minute on the ship. I don’t really understand the mind set of people who imply their cruise is ruined if they don’t get on the ship in the morning, with the exception of a 3 day cruise where I could see wanting to get more time on the ship on day 1. 

8 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Huh?  No, I expect to be on the ship when they open it up for boarding.  My last cruise on Harmony, this was at 10:20AM.

Your comment seriously makes no sense at all.  They start boarding as soon as possible, it has no effect on whether they clean the kitchen.  I would like to board when they start the boarding process.  I have found that arriving at the port at 10AM, I'm not even close to the first person, but before all the lines and crowds.  It's pleasant.  And usually end up sitting for 30 - 45 minutes.  If you actually try it, you'll see.... they already have carts setup to serve you drinks, bars open, etc.  They are more than prepared for guests when they start boarding.

I'm not sure you even understand how turnaround works when it comes to preparation and cleaning.

When you board early, you get to avoid the chaos, long lines at the buffet, etc.  It's a VERY pleasant way to do embarkation.  10AM works every time.  It just sucks that Carnival doesn't allow it.  So we'll board at 12 and the buffet line will be wrapped around the lido deck and no tables available... yay!!! 

On most Carnival ships there are still people leaving the ship from the previous cruise well after 10 AM. When we sailed on Horizon just a few weeks ago people were still leaving the ship from the previous cruise at 10:40 AM. 

It still sounds to me like you picked the wrong cruise line based on your preferences. Personally I would not book a cruise if I didn’t like the policies of that cruise line. One thing I can guarantee is Carnival is not going to change their process to make one person happy. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure if you like Carnival’s old process or new process.  I definitely don’t miss the old process when the lines would be crazy long by the time 12 PM rolled around.  The new process is a huge improvement.  

While more often than not we show up fairly early for check-in, it doesn’t matter to me if we don’t maximize every possible minute on the ship. I don’t really understand the mind set of people who imply their cruise is ruined if they don’t get on the ship in the morning, with the exception of a 3 day cruise where I could see wanting to get more time on the ship on day 1. 

The new is fine and it seems to be working. I don't get that mindset either and it certainly doesn't ruin mine! It's just our preference to get to Port as early as possible , we can sit at the hotel and wait or sit at the port and wait.

At the port nowadays with FB , you can make a game of it and try to regonize some of those pax, who you may have interacted with. Put a face to the name and actually "talk" to someone.

Our last cruise we met many of those and while chatting the time flew by.