Celebrity vs HAL?

popcan

Hello all;

I'm wondering if there is a thread or area in the forum that compares Cruise lines.  DW and I are thinking of joining several families from our community on an Alaska cruise this fall, and it will be on Celebrity Line.  Is there really a lot of difference between different lines and ships?   We have only sailed on HAL so far.  

DW and I are in our mid 50’s. Did 2 cruises on HAL (Rotterdam (Norway Fjords), Maasdam (Canada-New England)) and 2 cruises on X (Solstice (Hawaii-Vancouver) and Infinity Alaska)). Although both cruise lines were very good, our preference goes to X. Reasons: On X, Fewer announcements, better visibility of Captain and crew, friendliness of staff and a bit more vibrant, especially at night. 

We have 2 more cruises booked on X, but, we would not hesitate to cruise again with HAL. 

We enjoyed the food on both lines. Found cabin, restaurants and bar service personel excellent on both lines. The disposition in islands of the buffet restaurant (Oceanview Cafe) on X, is very nicely done.

With friends, you should really enjoy you cruise on X! Bon voyage! 

In addition to any cruise line or ship comparison, there are itinerary differences. Celebrity does not have access to cruise in Glacier National Park, while Holland America, Princess and NCL do. In addition, Princess and NCL have cruises that visit both Glacier National Park and Hubbard Glacier.

• Like 1

We have done several on both lines.  On the Pinnacle Class HAL ships they are quite lively now.  The smaller HAL ships not so much.  I find Celebrity to be the slower paced of the two since the opening of BB Kings and the RS Rock Room on HAL.

We are back on Celebrity next month because we booked it onboard got aqua and it's a nice slow relaxing line for the most part.

None of these cruise lines do everything perfect so it's nice to see what they offer and when we revisit them we know more or less what to expect.

Enjoy your trip!

You can get as many answers and opinions as possible, but the bottom line is that YOU will never fully grasp another cruise line until you sail it. Just do it. Join your friends, broaden your horizons, and have a fun time.

Edited by julia

There are indeed differences between the classes of Celebrity ships, so it would help to know which one you'd be sailing.  Also would probably help if you noted which HAL ships you've been on. 

Overall, the experiences will be similar.  These recent threads give some good info about differences between the two lines, in general:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2643132-hal-vs-celebrity/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2638318-how-does-hal-compare-with-celebrity-po/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2638308-how-does-celebrity-compare-to-holland-america/

For Alaska I would choose HAL hands down.  We did Alaska on Solstice and although it was very nice, it was just not the same as HAL sailing into Glacier Bay.  We love Celebrity, but not for Alaska.

• Like 1

We have sailed both many times.  =X= remains #1 of the main-line companies, with HAL slightly behind.

Suites - No comparison, =X= is far and away better overall.  We do not always sail suites on =X= because of the cost, althogh HAL is quickly catching up.  We sailed in a Vista suite on Koningsdam, and HAL should be ashamed calling it a suite.  It makes the Sky Suite seem spacious, and they had to put the toilet on an angle to make it fit in the bathroom.  HAL fans like the Neptune club; it is not remotely comparable to Michael's Club (converting to retreat lounge).  Add in Luminae, and there is truly no comparison.

Verandah and Oceanview - more similar than dissimilar.  Both nice with friendly, helpful staff.

Inside - have never sailed on either line

Food - slight nod to Celebrity, although on Koningsdam a year and a half ago, HAL stepped up their game.

Demographics - Hal cruises tend to be longer, and the age is quite a bit higher.  On shorter cruises, it is much closer.

Entertainment - HAL by a bunch.

Specialty - =X=.  Pinnacle vs. Murano - Murano by a lot.  Pinnacle vs. Tuscan - I would take Pinnacle as Tuscan is hit or miss

Intangibles - HAL.  =X= marketing is awful, their penchant for targeting a younger crowd at the expense of the more seasoned, and LLP (president) in general, are all poor.  Hal, while they do like the well seasoned, do not forget about other demographics.  They could also, like =X=, use some design help on their new ships. 

Any other questions, let us know

Three cruises on X, all 14-day trips and 7 cruises on HAL, none longer than 10 days. Until our recently completed trip on Eclipse I would have given HAL the edge in most areas. But I think that's changing. On HAL the only suite worth calling a "suite" are the Neptune level cabins. Sailed in several of those, but X suites are more expensive than most on HAL except Neptune.

The recent Eclipse experience shows me Xis moving closer on food and service, but not on entertainment. Also, the buffet on X has improved since my trio on the Millie 2 years ago, so I now rate the X buffet better.

But, given a chance to sail with friends are without, I'll take either of these two lines with the friends rather than without. My only real beef with X is I can;t bring more than 2 bottles of wine onboard, even if I'm willing to pay corkage.