Navigator OTS Review, 9 amazing nights, March 15-24, 2019!!!

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

What sort of camera and setup did you use for the turtle pics FR? They are awesome photos! :classic_biggrin:

Thank you!  Believe it or not, it's a very inexpensive GoPro type of camera.  A Lightdow LD6000.  WIth this camera you need to also purchase a micro SD card.  I bought the camera a few years ago.  I didn't want to invest the money into an expensive action camera because I wanted my kids to be able to use it and not worry about if they broke it or not.  It has a waterproof case, and one of the strap attachments allows me to strap it to my wrist.  That way I can turn it on, start the video recording, and swim freely and not have to hold onto the camera.  Here's how I wear it when I'm snorkeling.

image.png.53394bf472f7367f6bb26e06220ae223.pngimage.png.f4d7e0345535ff06329981a966a4d2ae.png

Those photos of the turtles are taken from running video that I took.  (you can also take still photos with the camera, but that's much harder to do underwater)  It helped that we were a little further from shore, away from where a lot of other swimmers were kicking up the sand from the bottom.  Also, the sun was out and the turtles were closer to the water surface so there was more light from the sun, which always helps video and photos.  (more light = better video)  🙂

https://smile.amazon.com/Lightdow-LD6000-Sports-Action-Camera/dp/B00XC46RWG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Lightdow+LD6000&qid=1553735830&s=electronics&sr=1-1-catcorr

image.png.efd413c14e58133d7b13f441b2f4509e.png

image.png.32dd247d840a804ce0bee2a50220ae49.png

Hope that helps,
Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

54 minutes ago, CazV said:

@The Fun ResearcherThanks for the great review! Quick question for you... roughly how long is the Ice Show? Trying to figure out which performance works best to fit with late dining.

Can't say for absolute certain, but I would say 45 minutes or so.  An hour tops I would guess.

Dan

• Thanks 1

Just a few other random comments:

Drink cards were offered the last two days for $75 plus 18% gratuity, so $88.50 total for 10 drinks, and the card can be shared.

We didn't feel that the ship was overly crowded, even though it was sold out, and all the extra cabins were added.

They didn't have the huge sprawling sales in the promenade like before.  They kept the sale mainly in front of the general store.  This was nice.  I think it's because the pub and Playmakers both spill out into the walkway now, and adding a bunch of tables for sale items would have made the path REALLY tight and frustrating.

Dan

• Like 1

Hi there! Love your review. I'm sailing on the Navigator in May. What were the breakfast options like? We loved the omelet station on the Jewel as well as the variety of food in the Windjammer. Also, what was your favorite bar that you went to? Any tips you have for adults on places to go would be well received 🙂 Thanks for your thoroughness! 

2 hours ago, JohnnyL. said:

Did you book the excursions through Royal Caribbean? 

The only one we booked through Royal was the zipline on Labadee.

The others we did ourselves.  We had plenty of time at each port so we weren't worried about not getting back to the ship in time for departure:

Bonare:  Hertz rental at the Divi Flamingo resort

Curacao:  Irie Tours (west side beach hopping)

Aruba:  Jolly Pirates

Dan

On 3/29/2019 at 2:37 PM, rikkimiller said:

Also, adding on to my previous questions. How was the fitness center? I heard it wasn't quite finished previously. Thank you!! 

Sorry, it's open but I didn't go inside.  I run about 3 miles every day at home but decided to take a break on the cruise and just chill.  I had my workout gear with me but didn't end up using it.   I was very relieved that I only gained a couple of pounds on the cruise.  😀

Dan

On 3/29/2019 at 2:33 PM, rikkimiller said:

Hi there! Love your review. I'm sailing on the Navigator in May. What were the breakfast options like? We loved the omelet station on the Jewel as well as the variety of food in the Windjammer. Also, what was your favorite bar that you went to? Any tips you have for adults on places to go would be well received 🙂 Thanks for your thoroughness! 

All of our drinks outside were ordered at the Lime and Coconut (on deck 12)  They did a good job and were friendly.  Inside, most were at Playmakers.  The did well also.  There is a room in the back of Playmakers that has TV screens all around you, and a large Jenga set on one of the tables.  That made for a very fun place to chill in the late hours.

To be honest, I'm not a big breakfast eater.  I typically just have coffee in the morning.  I did have corned beef and hash, eggs and bacon a few days but that's about it.  Breakfast had a HUGE selection though.  Pretty sure they have the omelet/egg station as well but someone else would need to confirm.

Happy sailing!

Dan

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

All of our drinks outside were ordered at the Lime and Coconut (on deck 12)  They did a good job and were friendly.  Inside, most were at Playmakers.  The did well also.  There is a room in the back of Playmakers that has TV screens all around you, and a large Jenga set on one of the tables.  That made for a very fun place to chill in the late hours.

To be honest, I'm not a big breakfast eater.  I typically just have coffee in the morning.  I did have corned beef and hash, eggs and bacon a few days but that's about it.  Breakfast had a HUGE selection though.  Pretty sure they have the omelet/egg station as well but someone else would need to confirm.

Happy sailing!

Dan

I will probably follow your lead and not exercise lol. Vacation is vacation for a reason. Thanks for your help on all my questions, Dan!!!! Cannot wait to set sail! 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, Ralphinsc said:

Great review. Navigator has moved way WAY up the list of where I want to go on my next cruise and taking it to the ABC's might just be the clincher! 

There are no more sailings on the Navigator to the ABC's. 😥  

4 hours ago, rikkimiller said:

I will probably follow your lead and not exercise lol. Vacation is vacation for a reason. Thanks for your help on all my questions, Dan!!!! Cannot wait to set sail! 

That was pretty much my feeling as well.  :)  When cruising I typically workout in the afternoons, but I was having way too much fun enjoying drinks and weather on the pool decks.  

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

There are no more sailings on the Navigator to the ABC's. 😥  

2 hours ago, BrandFam4 said:

Was so bummed about this. Would have booked another on her in a heartbeat if so. 

I believe the only ABC options this time next year are 8 nights on the Adventure from Ft. Lauderdale (not Amped yet), or 7 nights on the Freedom out of San Juan (planned to be amped by March/April next year).  If the Adventure would have lined up with our spring break next year I would have booked it already, but it's off by one week.  😞

I'm considering the Freedom but the cost of flights to San Juan for our family of 5 is pretty brutal.

Dan

37 minutes ago, Getting out there said:

Adventure was done. We went on her right after her makeover Feb. 2018. Heard she's going to Galvaston

It was renovated, but not Amped.  The Amped update is in 2021.  See attached link.  I wish it was Amped already.

https://www.*****.com/2018/04/30/royal-caribbean-releases-royal-amplified-fleet-upgrade-schedule

Dan

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If the Adventure would have lined up with our spring break next year I would have booked it already, but it's off by one week.  

😞

I'm considering the Freedom but the cost of flights to San Juan for our family of 5 is pretty brutal.

Dan

We’re doing the EC on Adventure next spring break. I saw that San Juan cruise as well, but yes flights + cruise during spring break would be brutal. I’m hoping that Navigator returns to longer cruises after the scheduled 3/4s are done. 

Adventure had slides added during its last remodel so our kids will be happy with that. I’ll miss the blow dry bar and El Loco Fresh myself. 🤣