Live from Explorer Miami -> Lisbon March 25-April 8

Juno56

Hello from Horta , in the Azores! Getting ready to go on an excursion. 

This morning I finally figured out that the annoying noises were coming out from the a/c vents. I reported it at reception and within an hour they had a tech working on it. Won't know until I spend more time in the cabin if the fix was successful but so far, so good! Hoping for a quiet slumber tonight!

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 11:54 AM, Juno56 said:

No difficulty at all.  There was a 10:45 a.m. wine tasting and I asked Georgiana, the head sommelier, if I could have a list.  She promptly asked me what my suite # was and it was delivered in the late afternoon.

IMG_1398.jpg

I think this is marvelous to get such a list. Would have loved to see all the options as opposed to continually asking for something new vs bringing the same wines back each time. 

• Like 1

This wine list looks very good. We’ve learned over the last year that we really enjoy the bold French reds and I see some interesting selections. Many other reds look great too.

We are curious to branch out to sake. Currently we only drink red wine and the occasional dry vodka martini. Any helpful info here would be very much appreciated, recommendation on brand or style would be great as we know nothing (and I mean nothing). From what I see on the website, only Pacific Rim offers sake?

I’m planning to do a “live from” when we board in Lisbon. I hope I do a good job with it!

22 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Happy to report that dinner tonight at Chartreuse was fabulous. In my two prior cruises on Explorer it was my least favorite restaurant, but not on this occasion. Excellent food , as well as friendly and professional service( happy that it was not affected  as in the past )  made for a very enjoyable evening. Bellagio cruisers ( Sheila)  with whom we had the pleasure to share dinner agreed. 

Looking forward to being on land tomorrow!

Cruiseluv, that is good to hear, I haven't been a great fan of Chartreuse in my past visits there.

May I ask what you  and Sheila had that you enjoyed?

Hope your noise issue has been resolved!

Bob

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

This wine list looks very good. We’ve learned over the last year that we really enjoy the bold French reds and I see some interesting selections. Many other reds look great too.

We are curious to branch out to sake. Currently we only drink red wine and the occasional dry vodka martini. Any helpful info here would be very much appreciated, recommendation on brand or style would be great as we know nothing (and I mean nothing). From what I see on the website, only Pacific Rim offers sake?

I’m planning to do a “live from” when we board in Lisbon. I hope I do a good job with it!

Yes - only Pacific Rim offers sake.  We were not familiar with various sake's so, the first time in Pacific Rim, we went down the list and tried each one.  You can order it cold or warm/hot.  I can drink more cold sake without feeling the effects than warm/hot saki.  However, after many "tastings", we now prefer warm/hot saki.  

Note:  In terms of wine, we drink bold reds and I enjoy the occasional dry vodka martini.  I find the sake a refreshing change from our normal wine at dinner.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - only Pacific Rim offers sake.  We were not familiar with various sake's so, the first time in Pacific Rim, we went down the list and tried each one.  You can order it cold or warm/hot.  I can drink more cold sake without feeling the effects than warm/hot saki.  However, after many "tastings", we now prefer warm/hot saki.  

Note:  In terms of wine, we drink bold reds and I enjoy the occasional dry vodka martini.  I find the sake a refreshing change from our normal wine at dinner.

Just an FYI, when you get served warm sake it really isn't good sake.  However in Japan if you get served cold sake it's their best sake.

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just an FYI, when you get served warm sake it really isn't good sake.  However in Japan if you get served cold sake it's their best sake.

Interesting information .... thanks!!!!

Kjbacon - I heartily encourage you to learn more about sake, as it can be a marvelous libation.   As Ronrick1943 pointed out, really good sakes are almost never served warm in Japan, as the complex flavors are not as evident when the sake is warm.

If Pacific Rim offers any Junmai Daiginjo or Daiginjo sakes, those categories will be the most complex and interesting and will be remarkably different from the sake most of us are used to being served warm at sushi bars in the U.S. or Canada.    Kampai!!

Edited by freddie
  • Like 1

I’ve learned more about sake just now than I have ever known. Thank you all! Travel Cat, it sounds like we have similar taste in libations. It’s all the more exciting that we have reservations in Pacific Rim on our first night. It sounds like a good plan to start would be to order several different ones, served chilled, for a tasting and then (if not too tipsy) taste a couple of them warm. Hmmm, better make more reservations in Pacific Rim upon boarding!

Good sake or not I prefer it hot.  I have spent enough time in Japan in the past (worked with Universities there...)  to know that they serve hot sake there a lot...  and I love it.  Can't say why!  Perhaps it is the almost immediate "kick" that it has??

6 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Good sake or not I prefer it hot.  I have spent enough time in Japan in the past (worked with Universities there...)  to know that they serve hot sake there a lot...  and I love it.  Can't say why!  Perhaps it is the almost immediate "kick" that it has??

That is what I noticed about hot sake - the "kick".  It seems that I can drink quite a bit of cold sake and not feel a thing but one tiny cup of hot sake and I'm "buzzed".  

I did try all four of the Pacific Rim offerings (cold) and enjoyed them.  Since they only seem to have four types, kjbacon, maybe, if you have time, you can ask what they serve when we ask for "hot sake".

In any case,  kjbacon, enjoy Pacific Rim!

18 hours ago, boblerm said:

Cruiseluv, that is good to hear, I haven't been a great fan of Chartreuse in my past visits there.

Bob

I had the artichoke soup, duck for appetizer, and rack of lamb for entree. And a chocolate napoleon for dessert. 

The meal was delicious, every morsel. 

The service superb. 

The wine sensational. 

Best I ever had in Chartreuse. 

Sheila

• Like 1

In addition, last night I was invited to join a group in a Prime 7. Dinner started at 7. The meal and service could not be more exceptional. We ate and continued to drink till after 10pm. The time flew. Thanks to the Feinberg’s for inviting me. Great food, marvelous company. Who could ask for anything more? 

Tomorrow night, back to Pacific Rim with Maria, Bob, Barbara and Alan. My sailing buddies!

It can’t get any better!

Sheila

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, poss said:

Wishing you smooth and silent zzz's, cruiseluv.

Thanks Poss, so much better without the pesky noises! Wish I had located the source earlier in the cruise!

so to those booked on 816 , it's safe to cruise on it again!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, boblerm said:

Bob

Bob,

i had the foie grass terrine, rack of lamb and creme brûlée. Everything delish!

Yes, thankfully noise issue solved, a big relief 

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

In addition, last night I was invited to join a group in a Prime 7. Dinner started at 7. The meal and service could not be more exceptional. We ate and continued to drink till after 10pm. The time flew. Thanks to the Feinberg’s for inviting me. Great food, marvelous company. Who could ask for anything more? 

Tomorrow night, back to Pacific Rim with Maria, Bob, Barbara and Alan. My sailing buddies!

It can’t get any better!

Sheila

Sheila, glad it was good again. Seems as if our first experience was a one of.

looking forward to Pacific Rim tomorrow!!

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

That is what I noticed about hot sake - the "kick".  It seems that I can drink quite a bit of cold sake and not feel a thing but one tiny cup of hot sake and I'm "buzzed".  

I did try all four of the Pacific Rim offerings (cold) and enjoyed them.  Since they only seem to have four types, kjbacon, maybe, if you have time, you can ask what they serve when we ask for "hot sake".

In any case,  kjbacon, enjoy Pacific Rim!

Thank you, I will do that! And I will try to include some sake reviews/info in my “live from” 🙂

Chartreuse is one of our favorite restaurants, we like the look, the food and we've always had good service.  For dessert my favorite is the Floating Island, wonderful presentation tasted as good as any I've had.......

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I had the artichoke soup, duck for appetizer, and rack of lamb for entree. And a chocolate napoleon for dessert. 

The meal was delicious, every morsel. 

The service superb. 

The wine sensational. 

Best I ever had in Chartreuse. 

Sheila

2 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Bob,

i had the foie grass terrine, rack of lamb and creme brûlée. Everything delish!

Yes, thankfully noise issue solved, a big relief 

Thank you Sheila and cruiseluv, I will give these items a try on our next visit to Chartreusse.

Cruilseluv, you have done a good service for future occupants of suite 816.  I thank you on their behalf!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Thank you Sheila and cruiseluv, I will give these items a try on our next visit to Chartreusse.

Cruilseluv, you have done a good service for future occupants of suite 816.  I thank you on their behalf!

Especially me! I have this suite booked for the Caribbean end of the year!

sheila

9 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Chartreuse is one of our favorite restaurants, we like the look, the food and we've always had good service.  For dessert my favorite is the Floating Island, wonderful presentation tasted as good as any I've had.......

Iles flottantes is my ALL TIME favourite dessert. Now I know Chartreuse serves it I shall stop in for dessert there on a regular basis.  (Instead of eating dinner there I can let Ken have the dinner and I will order dessert for 3 courses!!)