Live from Explorer Miami -> Lisbon March 25-April 8

Juno56

8 hours ago, JMARINER said:

FaceTime video (and voice) is NOT blocked by the ship system.  But because of the inherit poor quality of the system, FaceTime video work poorly or not at all.  Just made FaceTime video call (12:30am). Was able to get through, but it was choppy.  And this was in the middle of the night. 

Spoken with Jason two nights ago and he said there was an upgrade done in Miami that was supposed to increase speed/bandwidth by 20-30% .  I don't see it at all. I internet just as slow and clunky as ever.

J

I'm not sure if it's ship-by-ship or not, but as I recall on Voyager in January we got a 'server unavailable' error or similar, even when we had decent speed test results coming in.  Led me to believe it was port blocking rather than bandwidth or latency.  And I tried FaceTime and Skype both, couldn't even get audio calls on either, let alone video.

3 hours ago, forgap said:

I wonder if the position of the ship impacts the video clarity.  I used FaceTime frequently in SE Asia without a problem on Mariner a few weeks ago.  

It's hard to say - I can see bandwidth issues in the middle of a crossing, but one would think the sat coverage would be good in the Med and the Caribbean at a minimum - and it's been my experience that it's not.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm not sure if it's ship-by-ship or not, but as I recall on Voyager in January we got a 'server unavailable' error or similar, even when we had decent speed test results coming in.  Led me to believe it was port blocking rather than bandwidth or latency.  And I tried FaceTime and Skype both, couldn't even get audio calls on either, let alone video.

It's hard to say - I can see bandwidth issues in the middle of a crossing, but one would think the sat coverage would be good in the Med and the Caribbean at a minimum - and it's been my experience that it's not.

IMO, it is a combination of bandwidth and high latency and high jitter. Latency is never below 750, often in to 1,100. If it was just bandwidth then there would at least be a buffered signal.

As far as port blocking, I don't think that is an issue. I can make both skype voice and Facetime video calls if the conditions are optimal, like 4 am.

I will post my Ookla speed test log in a few days.

J

44 minutes ago, captjohn said:

Nice article, and I hope it's accurate...but at least in the area of internet, historically what Regent says vs. what Regent actually delivers are two different things altogether.  Here's hoping that they actually make the progress they say they will because for those of us who have to be at least a little in touch with work while we're at play, the added frustration of a cumbersome login process and achingly slow speeds has been frustrating to say the least.  Now where's that 'fingers crossed' emoji???

Edited by UUNetBill
Quick edit for formatting

2 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

IMO, it is a combination of bandwidth and high latency and high jitter. Latency is never below 750, often in to 1,100. If it was just bandwidth then there would at least be a buffered signal.

As far as port blocking, I don't think that is an issue. I can make both skype voice and Facetime video calls if the conditions are optimal, like 4 am.

I will post my Ookla speed test log in a few days.

J

I'll check my iPad when I get home to see if I shot a screen grab of my Ookla test, but as I recall the speeds weren't all that bad but I still couldn't do FT or Skype, audio or video.

55 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Ok- - every time I sail on Regent, people advise to try the Miso glazed Sea Bass at dinner. I finally ordered it last night. 

Kudoos to all who recommended this delight. Best fish I ever had.  Loved it! 

Sheila

So glad that you enjoyed it!  Now, if you are in Pacific Rim, try the Miso glazed Black Cod (it melts in your mouth).

2 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Ok- - every time I sail on Regent, people advise to try the Miso glazed Sea Bass at dinner. I finally ordered it last night. 

Sheila

That sounds delicious. Was it on a regular rotation at Compass Rose or on a special event menu?

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

That sounds delicious. Was it on a regular rotation at Compass Rose or on a special event menu?

Compass Rose has Miso glazed Sea Bass on the night of the Seven Seas Society cocktail party so you would need to check once you are onboard to learn which night that will be.  The Miso glazed Black Cod is always on the Pacific Rim menu.

Just finished a second chance at Prime 7. Food was great - - I had the lamb chops tonight. Service was totally attentive. Restored my faith in Prime 7. 

I am really enjoying and relaxing on this Transatlantic crossing. Probably will stick to the west to east in the future. The constant losing an hour is not as good as gaining it. 

Jackie - I will try the miso glazed cod in Pacific Rim. Will be back there in a few days. 

We are on the cruise after you in December 2019. Miami- Miami. It’s the Caribbean. We are also booked for the Barcelona-Miami cruise in 2020 on the Splendor. Right direction. 

Gerry - always good to speak with you. 

Sheila

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Sheila

We missed it on our first Regent cruise in late 2017, but had it this past January on the Voyager.  OMG it is delicious.  Glad you enjoyed it as well.

Thanks to you all for your reports from the Explorer. 

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Compass Rose has Miso glazed Sea Bass on the night of the Seven Seas Society cocktail party so you would need to check once you are onboard to learn which night that will be

If you happen to miss it that night because of a specialty restaurant reservation, you can pre-order it for another night. 

Hello, currently on the ship, didn't know there was a thread going , Sheila just told me.

No major surprises on the ship, still beautifully maintained. Food overall very good. Service excellent, not that fabulous in Prime 7. They seem rushed , went back tonite at their invitation  because first night service totally off. Tonight much better except wine service. It was a pain to get my glass refilled, my only " special request" in the cruise. However, I could see the wine stewards hovering other tables. Why? Who knows, maybe I'll wear my jogging track suit next time and get better service. 

I had never noticed that there's zero music in the lounges while the show is going on. Really? Are we all supposed to go to the show? I think there should be something for people that just want to have an after dinner drink .

Pacific Rim yesterday was delightful. The miso cod out of this world and service lovely! Thanks to Sheila we'll be going one more evening, can't wait!

i have done West to East crossings before and knew of the infamous one hour forward routine, but this time for some reason it really stings, will not be doing this direction again!

• Like 1

Oh, one more thing before I forget. I'm in an F2 cabin, 816. Don't book it, has a constant noise every 5-10 minutes, very annoying. I reported it , but of course, they have no idea what m talking about. The noise occurs regardless if ship is in port or moving.

About internet, pretty bad, the worst I've experienced in my last few cruises. Many times cant open simple articles and can't open my radio app. Just glad Im not running a business and need reliable internet 

Edited by cruiseluv
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Oh, one more thing before I forget. I'm in an F2 cabin, 816. Don't book it, has a constant noise every 5-10 minutes, very annoying. I reported it , but of course, they have no idea what m talking about. The noise occurs regardless if ship is in port or moving.

About internet, pretty bad, the worst I've experienced in my last few cruises. Many times cant open simple articles and can't open my radio app. Just glad Im not running a business and need reliable internet 

Oh dear - we're booked in this cabin - one of the prized angled balcony suites - for 22 nights in August September this year.  Hope it's fixed by then🙄.

13 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Cruiseluv - if you get a minute, could you please submit a quick review on the SuiteGuru sticky so I can add your input to the spreadsheets?  We already have one positive review on this cabin so I'd like to make sure I get your take on it as well.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Cruiseluv - if you get a minute, could you please submit a quick review on the SuiteGuru sticky so I can add your input to the spreadsheets?  We already have one positive review on this cabin so I'd like to make sure I get your take on it as well.  Thanks!

Would love to but one time I tried posting a review there and could not figure it out.. I'll try again when my mind is not fogged by alcohol 😊

4 hours ago, Catpow said:

Oh dear - we're booked in this cabin - one of the prized angled balcony suites - for 22 nights in August September this year.  Hope it's fixed by then🙄.

See if 912 is available. We've been twice on that one and no such problems. If you're  sensitive to noise it migh impair your sleep, it has mine

4 minutes ago, BBWC said:

We were in 816 last October and had no issues at all. Loved the suite.

Lucky you. Did you hear the noise and didn't care, or no noise at all? Seems to occur randomly , sometimes as frequent as every 5 minutes. It's like a mechanical noise, it's not rattling or connected to ship moving , happened while in port in Bermuda 

Edited by cruiseluv

We were in this suite for 24 days in Nov/Dec and i loved this suite. No noise issues at all.  Like it so much we booked it for our next Explorer cruise. Wow. Wonder what happened in the past couple of months. 

Edited by 1982CruzStart

2 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

We were in this suite for 24 days in Nov/Dec and i loved this suite. No noise issues at all.  Like it so much we booked it for our next Explorer cruise. Wow. Wonder what happened in the past couple of months. 

What happened? Murphy's Law, Im in it! 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Has anyone managed to work out what is causing the noise?

As Bill says the issue was not evident when a previous occupant reviewed the suite, so has something come loose somewhere?

I can imagine it must be very annoying especially if you cannot track down what is the cause.

As a slight aside, we were on Mariner immediately after her refurbishment last year. During the first night we kept hearing a loud klunk every few minutes. The next morning we investigated and found that one of the fitters had left a drawer knob loose in the bottom of the bedside cabinet; every time the ship rolled so did the loose knob. DH presented the knob to the GM as a "spare" with our complements 😠 

(I agree with pretty much all that has been said by previous posters about the food and service with one exception! so far we have eaten at Chartreuse (excellent)  Sette Mari (very good ) Pacific Rim (very good) La Veranda (typical Buffet and somewhat non descript ) Compass Rose twice and neither was good. On Tuesday we sat at table next to Jason Montague`s table and had to send back the Lobster and the Filet mignon both seriously overcooked. On Monday we found the food bland to tasteless!  We will give it another try and hopefully see if we just ordered incorrectly.)

Day 9 and we have given the Compass Rose three more chances and are delighted to report that things have improved dramatically.   First the Sunday Brunch was outstanding followed by two more evenings in which we specifically asked for the left or starboard side of the Compass dining room where things were a little less rushed and the service has been exceptional.  We have been ordering from the always available Menu and have found that the food is much better than the regular daily options.  Tonight for example, we had the escargot followed by the Dover Sole as our main course and it was as good as we have had anywhere.  So happy to report that Compass Rose is now up to standards expected. 

Dinner again at the Sette Mari was very enjoyable.  With the ship not full it has been possible to make reservations at any restaurant at short notice. 

We have also had lunch at Chartreuse which is a lighter version of the evening menu and have thoroughly enjoyed sitting overlooking the wake of the boat. 

The seas have been moderate with occasional rough patches and little sun until today.  It is definitely chilly with the temperature today at 59 degrees and a brisk wind.  Tonight it is up to 30 knots.  Tomorrow we make our first landfall in Horta, the Azores where it is forecast to be rainy......let's hope not. 

Tomorrow we will talk about our Explorer Suite.

Cheers

David

Happy to report that dinner tonight at Chartreuse was fabulous. In my two prior cruises on Explorer it was my least favorite restaurant, but not on this occasion. Excellent food , as well as friendly and professional service( happy that it was not affected  as in the past )  made for a very enjoyable evening. Bellagio cruisers ( Sheila)  with whom we had the pleasure to share dinner agreed. 

Looking forward to being on land tomorrow!