Differences Between Yacht Club and Haven

gmbhardy

As far as the services between the 2 (Haven and YC)  are very similar.  As any subject, you will have one person/group leaning one way and another person/group leaning the other way.  They are both excellent choices.   So it will be an experience that you make.  Here are some of the differences I have found between the two.

NCL Haven Room (owners Suite), the room was larger then the Deluxe Suite in YC, BUT did the Wife and I really need that much room?  Nope....Deluxe Suite was just fine.  Balcony in the Haven was huge and forward facing (since it was the owners suite), but again didnt use it a whole lot.  The spend difference between the 2 aren't even close either.  Double for the Haven.

My experience for the Butler on the Haven was non existent.   Never saw him, even when I wanted to.  Didnt impact my cruise negatively, as a day at sea is better then a day at the office.  YC Butler was everywhere.....and brought everything we could have imagined, including avacados to make Guacamole.  But service as a whole for both clubs were equal.

Private areas:

Pool:  I would say MSC Seaside YC wins here.  The one in the Haven (Escape) was very small and narrow and was in the covered area (with the retractable roof), the only + for the Haven pool was it was chlorine water over salt water.  People may say, but the YC pool is soooo deep I couldnt stand around in it.   The YC Swimming Pool is deep, like 6'3", but it is called a swimming pool, not a wading pool.

Restaurant:  Very similar as far as service and food.  The Haven has an outside area for eating which was nice for breakfast.  The YC its all inside.  The Maitre D at the YC was amazing and that gives the YC the thumbs up for me

Lounge:  Haven Seaside Bar had like 6 stools and a small sitting area.  The   YC bar was very long, with some nice snacks at the end and had a very large sitting area, also you could go out the front and sit outside forward on the ship.  The bartenders on the Escape were very good.  They were actually mixologists so they made some very creative drinks.  As a whole though the size of the YC lounge wins for me.

So from my experience you will find both area very similar to services, sizes will vary depending on which rooms you get, but the Service you get as a YC guest outside the YC is another difference makes.  Priority everything, including the ports where there is a 1500 people line for a tender and you walk right to the front.

Price would be the last thing to consider.  YC wins that with ease.  I know prices vary from itinerary to itinerary, ship to ship and carrier to carrier, but the $$$$ are saved with MSC.  Owners Suite on Escape $8,000 (for a couple), Royal Suite on Oasis with none of the benefits, not even alcohol included, but have heard this has changed with an experience now $15,000 (for a couple) and MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite $4,200 (for a couple)...to us thats a no brainer.....2 for 1 or 4 for 1 cruises.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMS4771 said:

As far as the services between the 2 (Haven and YC)  are very similar.  As any subject, you will have one person/group leaning one way and another person/group leaning the other way.  They are both excellent choices.   So it will be an experience that you make.  Here are some of the differences I have found between the two.

NCL Haven Room (owners Suite), the room was larger then the Deluxe Suite in YC, BUT did the Wife and I really need that much room?  Nope....Deluxe Suite was just fine.  Balcony in the Haven was huge and forward facing (since it was the owners suite), but again didnt use it a whole lot.  The spend difference between the 2 aren't even close either.  Double for the Haven.

My experience for the Butler on the Haven was non existent.   Never saw him, even when I wanted to.  Didnt impact my cruise negatively, as a day at sea is better then a day at the office.  YC Butler was everywhere.....and brought everything we could have imagined, including avacados to make Guacamole.  But service as a whole for both clubs were equal.

Private areas:

Pool:  I would say MSC Seaside YC wins here.  The one in the Haven (Escape) was very small and narrow and was in the covered area (with the retractable roof), the only + for the Haven pool was it was chlorine water over salt water.  People may say, but the YC pool is soooo deep I couldnt stand around in it.   The YC Swimming Pool is deep, like 6'3", but it is called a swimming pool, not a wading pool.

Restaurant:  Very similar as far as service and food.  The Haven has an outside area for eating which was nice for breakfast.  The YC its all inside.  The Maitre D at the YC was amazing and that gives the YC the thumbs up for me

Lounge:  Haven Seaside Bar had like 6 stools and a small sitting area.  The   YC bar was very long, with some nice snacks at the end and had a very large sitting area, also you could go out the front and sit outside forward on the ship.  The bartenders on the Escape were very good.  They were actually mixologists so they made some very creative drinks.  As a whole though the size of the YC lounge wins for me.

So from my experience you will find both area very similar to services, sizes will vary depending on which rooms you get, but the Service you get as a YC guest outside the YC is another difference makes.  Priority everything, including the ports where there is a 1500 people line for a tender and you walk right to the front.

Price would be the last thing to consider.  YC wins that with ease.  I know prices vary from itinerary to itinerary, ship to ship and carrier to carrier, but the $$$$ are saved with MSC.  Owners Suite on Escape $8,000 (for a couple), Royal Suite on Oasis with none of the benefits, not even alcohol included, but have heard this has changed with an experience now $15,000 (for a couple) and MSC Yacht Club Deluxe Suite $4,200 (for a couple)...to us thats a no brainer.....2 for 1 or 4 for 1 cruises.... 

Great post. Thanks for your perspective.

2 hours ago, GMS4771 said:

Private areas:

Good summary points.

However, the Yacht Club $easide prices are changing.  Supply and demand.  We met passengers that paid 3X what we paid for our most recent B2B on Seaside.  Stunning.

Looking forward, some YC on Seaside range is astonishingly variant.  $2,500-$4,750 PP on some weeks.  I honestly couldn't believe it until another PAX on recent B2B told me of their cost.  Yikes.

The YC 'model works versus the Haven, NCL, when there "is the value."  Might even be the best choice if 'equal.  However, if MSC ups the YC to more than the Haven significantly?  That 'value will be gone.

So, ahead of the curve with MSC (YC PP was/is incredibly low, = stateroom balcony of most top lines) we've flipped forward to book MeravigliaYC for 2 B2B in  both December 2019 and March 2020.

Recommendation - Book ahead of the curve on the new MSC ships if this pattern continues.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, markf said:

You will be  much happier  on MSC  YC, in every area except possibly  for the  size of the  cabin and also  no  reserved  seats  at theater.

Food variety, drinks  all free, service much better --I am envious  -Have fun

They do have a reserved section for YC members in the last 2 rows of theater, stage right. Glad you spent the extra money??:)

26 minutes ago, jadmiral said:

They do have a reserved section for YC members in the last 2 rows of theater, stage right. Glad you spent the extra money??:)

While personally I do not prefer sitting back there, in fairness those are seats desired by many who want to be first out of the theater after the show.

2 minutes ago, Até said:

While personally I do not prefer sitting back there, in fairness those are seats desired by many who want to be first out of the theater after the show.

We arrived 15 min before showtime and was able to sit wherever we wanted. Although I am 62 years old, ever time we passed those 2 rows it looked like they were on deaths door. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get out:(

1 hour ago, jadmiral said:

We arrived 15 min before showtime and was able to sit wherever we wanted. Although I am 62 years old, ever time we passed those 2 rows it looked like they were on deaths door. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get out:(

We did the same, the employee at the YC section would often recognize us and seemingly hope we would sit there.  I agree when we went in early there was usually no one sitting in the area.  Perhaps it was more useful for late arrivals.  NCL Haven/suite reserved areas are not much better, on Dawn & Jewel class it's in the upper balcony with a so-so view.  On newer ships it was way off to the left side, where I don't prefer.  We rarely used it on NCL and never on MSC.

18 hours ago, jadmiral said:

Well, since I didn't spend the extra money to get reserved theater seats, but for ALL of the many wonderful benefits of YC, I am VERY glad I spent the extra money.

• Like 1

As for price value, as of late value of YC has many booking thus price has been going up.  Yet, when comparing price point, don't forget the discount of 5-10%(5% for classic & above and additional 5% for military/teacher/police etc) + 15% (select cruises) for MSC.

We’ve sailed over 15 times in the Haven, minimum of H4 up to Garden Villa. NCL rooms are much more spacious and luxurious than MSC. However, the service on MSC is much better than NCL, I would say the MSC service is comparable to the royal-like status you receive in the Garden Villa.

I’m booked on the Meraviglia for this Easter in the YC. Value for money, MSC wins by a long way.

Edited by yeclano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yeclano said:

We’ve sailed over 15 times in the Haven, minimum of H4 up to Garden Villa. NCL rooms are much more spacious and luxurious than MSC. However, the service on MSC is much better than NCL, I would say the MSC service is comparable to the royal-like status you receive in the Garden Villa.

I’m booked on the Meraviglia for this Easter in the YC. Value for money, MSC wins by a long way.

Is this the cruise leaving Kiel on 4/27?  If so I'm on the same sailing, also YC.  

18 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Thanks everyone for all your informative posts. We’re flying out tomorrow for our cruise on the Seaside. I’ll report back and give you my perspective on the topic. Thanks again!

Have a great cruise!  I have to wait 5 more weeks... sigh.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, Formula280SS said:

Good summary points.

However, the Yacht Club $easide prices are changing.  Supply and demand.  We met passengers that paid 3X what we paid for our most recent B2B on Seaside.  Stunning.

Looking forward, some YC on Seaside range is astonishingly variant.  $2,500-$4,750 PP on some weeks.  I honestly couldn't believe it until another PAX on recent B2B told me of their cost.  Yikes.

The YC 'model works versus the Haven, NCL, when there "is the value."  Might even be the best choice if 'equal.  However, if MSC ups the YC to more than the Haven significantly?  That 'value will be gone.

So, ahead of the curve with MSC (YC PP was/is incredibly low, = stateroom balcony of most top lines) we've flipped forward to book MeravigliaYC for 2 B2B in  both December 2019 and March 2020.

Recommendation - Book ahead of the curve on the new MSC ships if this pattern continues.

We just put a deposit down for Aug 29 2020 on Seaside in Royal Suite.  Total for 2 is 7222 and we'll get 200 OBC and 5% off from TA.  Is this good deal?  We have sailed on NCL Aft Haven but we won a bid and paid about 6K.  We have not sailed with MSC but have read quite a few good reviews.  

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

We just put a deposit down for Aug 29 2020 on Seaside in Royal Suite.  Total for 2 is 7222 and we'll get 200 OBC and 5% off from TA.  Is this good deal?  We have sailed on NCL Aft Haven but we won a bid and paid about 6K.  We have not sailed with MSC but have read quite a few good reviews.  

The Yacht Club Royal Suite on Seaside is the highest you can go.  Your net of about $6,600/2=$3,300 for the best stateroom on the ship is worth it (we believe).  Also, we believe that you'll have a dedicated cabana at the pool deck for the week; over a $700 value we believe.

As a relative matter, we met a couple on our 2nd week of our recent B2B that paid almost $3,000/per passenger (2) 60 days out for an inside stateroom.

So, we believe you did well.

We've done the Haven, very nice.

You'll be shocked at the Yacht Club venue; the elegance, the lounge, the restaurant, the pool and pool grille, and the 'staff.

You'll have a great time.

Make sure to get dropped off right at the Yacht Club tent (first stop) with your luggage.  You won't have to do another thing until disembarking.

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

If you got it for that, that is a steal.  Apparently MSC systems have figured out YC is in demand.  March 2021 Seaside and Meraviglia Royal Suites are $7,000+ PER PERSON!  Some Deluxe are showing over $4,000 PP.

The YC dining room dinner & lunch menu repeated when we were on a B2B a little over a year ago.  At lunch the Grill did change a little, one week they had lobster tails, the next they had half lobsters, but I'm not sure what they are doing lately.

Edited by Até

26 minutes ago, dexddd said:

If you got it for that, that is a steal.  Apparently MSC systems have figured out YC is in demand.  March 2021 Seaside and Meraviglia Royal Suites are $7,000+ PER PERSON!  Some Deluxe are showing over $4,000 PP.

Yep.

It's happened.

For those of us that dipped our toes in the MSC Yacht Club model ahead of the curve, we got 2-3 years of multiple B2B's for the price of a balcony on other lines.

It appears those days are over.

27 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere, but any of you who have done B2B on Seaside, does the menu repeat in YC restaurant the same as the first week?

The B2B is very repetitive.  So you're experienced; can change it up 2nd time or try specialty.

The pool grille is awesome and great alternative to the quiet sit down; almost takes breakfast and lunch at the YC restaurant out of the picture for many on our B2B.

The pool grille also did 'change up the "live on stage pasta and/or seafood cooking" a couple of days also.

Remember, all you have to do is ask for something (anything that is on the ship) if you give them advance request.

We had Alessandra as our waitress.  In our 2nd week I couldn't find something that thrilled me so she offered that 'lamb that I like so much the first week.  It wasn't on the menu.  It was really good.  Again.

15 hours ago, Até said:

The YC dining room dinner & lunch menu repeated when we were on a B2B a little over a year ago.  At lunch the Grill did change a little, one week they had lobster tails, the next they had half lobsters, but I'm not sure what they are doing lately.

Thanks.  Grill had some type of lobster, don't eat so didn't pay much attention, a couple days for lunch in March.

15 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

The B2B is very repetitive.  So you're experienced; can change it up 2nd time or try specialty.

The pool grille is awesome and great alternative to the quiet sit down; almost takes breakfast and lunch at the YC restaurant out of the picture for many on our B2B.

The pool grille also did 'change up the "live on stage pasta and/or seafood cooking" a couple of days also.

Remember, all you have to do is ask for something (anything that is on the ship) if you give them advance request.

We had Alessandra as our waitress.  In our 2nd week I couldn't find something that thrilled me so she offered that 'lamb that I like so much the first week.  It wasn't on the menu.  It was really good.  Again.

Thanks.  Yes, on our recent trip I saw Robert and asked as he delivered on Divinia chicken parmigian if he could do on Seaside and had it two nights.  Fantastic!