ATW Insignia Concierge Suite

bobbeta

We are looking at the 2021 Insignia ATW cruise. We have not been on Oceania previously so do not know if a 216 sq foot room ( the concierge suite) would be adequate for a cruise that lasts 180 days. Would it be a mistake to book one of the concierge rooms? We have found Seabourn(veranda) and Regent (PH) suites which are slightly larger to be fine for 30 to 60 day cruises.

Thanks for your thoughts

It’s a very personal decision that only you can make.

Clearly that space is adequate for hundreds of people that have been doing this cruise on Insignia for several years now and plan to do so in the future.

I personally would find the space adequate per se as we have cruised in that size cabin on R ships many times for 2 to 4 weeks at a time. What would be not acceptable to me PERSONALLY is to be on a ship for 180 days. You may feel otherwise.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, bobbeta said:

We are looking at the 2021 Insignia ATW cruise. We have not been on Oceania previously so do not know if a 216 sq foot room ( the concierge suite) would be adequate for a cruise that lasts 180 days. Would it be a mistake to book one of the concierge rooms? We have found Seabourn(veranda) and Regent (PH) suites which are slightly larger to be fine for 30 to 60 day cruises.

Thanks for your thoughts

My friend and I cruised for 7 days in that same size cabin (category B) and realized that we would not enjoy that size for 6 months....so we upgraded to a PH suite and it's perfect.  BTW, I don't think the concierge cabins are considered suites.

But about the concierge cabin on a world cruise...first, it's the exact same size as the category B cabin and since the only real perk you'd get is access to the spa hot tub area, it's a waste of money...JMHO. All the really great perks are given to all world cruisers no matter which cabin you have.  

Edited by Go-Bucks!

It would not be near as large as the other two rooms your referenced. 

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

What would be not acceptable to me PERSONALLY is to be on a ship for 180 days. 

I'm with you on that Paul. I love cruising, but tend to gain about a pound a day. I'd be wearing bedsheets for clothing by the end of the cruise. 

Many obviously feel differently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We appreciate the feedback. Not having cruised with Oceania in the past is a major impediment to understanding the functionally of a small room for a fairly long trip and whether the negatives get worse as teh cruise progresses. . Perhaps we need to try a short cruise somewhere on Insignia to see the drawbacks for ourselves.

• Like 2

Just now, bobbeta said:

Perhaps we need to try a short cruise somewhere on Insignia to see the drawbacks for ourselves.

That is  a good plan  or one of the other R ships  will be the same spaces

Regatta, Nautica or Sirena

Speaking up in favor of the veranda rooms from the perspective of someone who sailed in them on Renaissance but once we discovered what Oceania calls the penthouse suite, we immediately switched.  The biggest complaint I had of the veranda cabins was the size of the showers.  (Current renovation plans I THINK have addressed this issue at least somewhat. The bathroom must still remain extremely small.)

BUT when we took a massive downsell from a PH to a B1 on Nautica nearly three years ago, I was surprised to discover that the size of the shower no longer bothered me very much.  We were quite comfortable in that room.

Of course, we were only in that room for two weeks ... I don't know about 6 months either!

For a six month cruise I think I'd prefer one of the top suites ... not that I could contemplate paying that bill!

Mura

17 hours ago, Mura said:

Current renovation plans I THINK have addressed this issue at least somewhat. The bathroom must still remain extremely.

Insignia has had the renovation and the glass shower doors that are on all categories A and below are a huge improvement! Still the same small size bathroom, but more storage in it plus the glass doors.

bobbeta....we did as you mentioned, we took a 7 day cruise to Cuba and were so glad we tried out the ship before committing to 6 months.  Also, we're loving this long trip (adventure) and making lifelong memories. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

We spent 33 days in a concierge on the Marina in Oct/Now 2018.  While we LOVED the ship and the cruise and the cruise line (so much so we just booked a 28 day in Dec/Jan 2019/20), the cabin was not big enough for us for that amount of time.  And we didn't even have to deal with the small shower on the Insignia.  We know we will be much happier this upcoming cruise in a PH suite, so that's what we booked.

We've also cruised on Seabourn, and, FWIW, we feel we could do 180 days in a Seabourn Veranda suite.  But not an Oceania veranda. Big, big difference in size, layout and comfort.

But a world cruise is a once-in-a-lifetime thing.  So here is the crucial question.... there is a 40k difference for 2 people in a Concierge vs. a PH for a world cruise.  That is a price difference that, for us, we wouldn't be able to overcome.  It would be a matter of "go in a veranda size suite" or not go.  If we wanted to go on that cruise that badly, we would cope with the size of the cabin. 

I don't think I've explained our position on this very succinctly, but I tried.  

We have done the world cruise in a smaller cabin and had no problem.

We get dressed in the morning and don't dome back until time to change for diner and not again until after the evening show. We do some internet and TV time then and off to bed.   Any cabin is fine for our needs.

Oceania has very comfortable lounge chairs around the pool and others nice areas to watch the sea.   A lot depends on how much time you spend in your cabin. 

OP,

If you are prone to spend endless hours in your cabin or endure 4 sea days in a row you might find the cabin getting smaller each day. There's only so much entertainment and enlightment each day.

While we have yet to sail on Oceania we have been on two sailings in R class ships. My DH decided that if we were to sail on another R, which is doubtful, it's going to be in a larger cabin.

We are booked on the Marina. That's why I feel comfortable responding to a more generic question.